Thread: Sound Advice

ROG Member Array

Sound Advice

Hi all, I've just joined and here is my first of I'm sure many questions. I'm in the process of building a new rig using the Maximus VII Formula, I've read good things about the on-board sound system. At the moment I'm running the Xonar D2X in my present PC, shall I put that on the Maximus or use the on-board sound. I've been very happy with the D2X but will I notice any difference in quality. Thanks for any help.....Ron.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Antronman's Avatar

Hi ron.

If you have a trained ear, you will easily notice the difference between RoG Supreme FX and a dedicated sound card.
    Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion
    Through passion, I gain strength
    Through strength, I gain victory
    Through victory, my chains are broken
    The Republic of Gamers shall free me

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the advice, I figured as much and I was thinking of upgrading to the Essence as sound is very important to me.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Heini PC Specs
    Heini PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ (2 x 16GB) F4-3000C14D
    Graphics Card #1Evga 2080Ti XC Ultra
    Sound CardAsus Essence STX II
    MonitorASUS MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseCooler Master HAF XB EVO
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G3 1000W
    Keyboard Ducky Shine 6 (Brown Cherry MX)
    Mouse Secret (Ducky)
    Headset Sennheiser HD 580
    Mouse Pad EVGA TORQ
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS Win10 Pro 64

I've used the Supreme FX, Xonar DX, Essence STX and Blaster Zx. You will probably notice a slight improvement in sound with your discrete card. For comparison install both and decide for yourself. You can enable/disable them through control panel for quick comparisons.

edit......I see your conidering the Essence and it's my preferred card of those listed above.
    Last edited by Heini; 02-05-2015 at 10:18 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

The sound card is only one part of the equation. You'll need a high quality source (CD, 44.1 kHz/16-bit, or better quality) and proper decoding with excellent timing on the computer side; adequate amplification and drivers external to the computer.

Also, you will never be able to decode DTS-HD Master Audio or Dobly TrueHD (or the new formats like Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D) in any computer sound chip, on-board or discrete. For that you will need to pass audio through an HDMI cable to a capable A/V receiver.

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the in-put everyone but lets not get too carried away, I think upgrading to the Essence STX II will do just fine and I'll just have to live with not being able to decode DTS-HD etc but thanks for trying to help.