cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound Advice

ronjac
Level 7
Hi all, I've just joined and here is my first of I'm sure many questions. I'm in the process of building a new rig using the Maximus VII Formula, I've read good things about the on-board sound system. At the moment I'm running the Xonar D2X in my present PC, shall I put that on the Maximus or use the on-board sound. I've been very happy with the D2X but will I notice any difference in quality. Thanks for any help.....Ron.
5 REPLIES 5

Antronman
Level 10
Hi ron.

If you have a trained ear, you will easily notice the difference between RoG Supreme FX and a dedicated sound card.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Thanks for the advice, I figured as much and I was thinking of upgrading to the Essence as sound is very important to me.

I've used the Supreme FX, Xonar DX, Essence STX and Blaster Zx. You will probably notice a slight improvement in sound with your discrete card. For comparison install both and decide for yourself. You can enable/disable them through control panel for quick comparisons.

edit......I see your conidering the Essence and it's my preferred card of those listed above.

Skunk
Level 8
The sound card is only one part of the equation. You'll need a high quality source (CD, 44.1 kHz/16-bit, or better quality) and proper decoding with excellent timing on the computer side; adequate amplification and drivers external to the computer.

Also, you will never be able to decode DTS-HD Master Audio or Dobly TrueHD (or the new formats like Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D) in any computer sound chip, on-board or discrete. For that you will need to pass audio through an HDMI cable to a capable A/V receiver.

ronjac
Level 7
Thanks for the in-put everyone but lets not get too carried away, I think upgrading to the Essence STX II will do just fine and I'll just have to live with not being able to decode DTS-HD etc but thanks for trying to help.