cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix GTX980 Power Consumption (Amps and Watts)

Gawlron
Level 7
Trying to figure something out on my system, and I suspect my PSU. I've got a 1500w Silverstone ST1500. I need to test it and make sure I'm getting enough amps out to my equipment on the 12v rails... My ST1500 is pretty old, and it's only rated Silver efficiency.

Can anyone tell me what the min required amps are for the STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5 (http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics_Cards/STRIXGTX980DC2OC4GD5/HelpDesk_Download/)?
ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION | INTEL i7 4930K | G.SKILLZ RIPJAW X 32GB | ASUS STRIX GTX 980 TWO-WAY SLI | CUSTOM WATER COOLING
RIP
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hello Gawlron

Your psu has 8 +12v rails at 25 amps each. I would think they would combine to have enough amps for the strix 980. The 980 consumes around 170 - 190 watts.

Gawlron
Level 7
Yup, I know about what it should be pumping out - which is good. But, I'm trying to figure out if it's faulty or not giving my equipment the proper current. I read a few posts on some sites about folks having problems about the PSU not providing enough amperage. I just had one of my Strix die on me, so I'm covering all my bases before buying a new PSU. I'll just pull the PSU and make sure it's pumping out 25A on the 12V rails.
ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION | INTEL i7 4930K | G.SKILLZ RIPJAW X 32GB | ASUS STRIX GTX 980 TWO-WAY SLI | CUSTOM WATER COOLING
RIP

Chino
Level 15
The Strix GTX 980 consumes around 200W in full load.

Your PSU should have no problems running two of them in SLI unless it's very old and has degraded over time.

Nate152
Not to get confused but I believe Chino's graph is for total system power draw with the srix 980.

Nate152 wrote:
Not to get confused but I believe Chino's graph is for total system power draw with the srix 980.

No. It's just the power draw for the GPU.

Nate152

Nate152

Nate152