cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delidded Devil's Canyon over 10C Drop In Temps!

digmeahole1
Level 10
Hi everyone,

I came from a sandy bridge that never went over 63c @ 4.6Ghz so when i just upgraded i was not happy with the temps. I watched a few videos and decided no way am i putting my chip in a vice and striking hit with a freaking hammer! I also watched what hell people went through with a razor. So i chose the razor method and the lid came off like butter! 5 minutes and very little pressure with a box of my grandfathers razors that are over twenty years old! Love ya pop! I was a nervous wreck even though it separated with ease. Not a scratch on the chip.

I am now below my sandy's temps! I used the newer Cool Laboratory's Liquid Ultra which is a breeze compared to liquid pro! Spread so easy after watching videos of the pro version i was very happy. all cores enhanced to run at 4.4 and it stays at 59C! I dropped 11c. I used it on both the cores and the heat sink as it is copper. my idle temps are getting lower as i type this. Right now my lowest core is 22c with c7 state disabled @ 1.155 volts 4.6ghz. test below were enhanced cores 4.4 max turbo at 1.500 volts. both cpu-z & core temp show a little higher? And i heard core temp reads high on rog boards.

If anyone here is on the edge thinking about deliding, GO FOR IT! just take your time and use as little of liquid ultra as you possibly can. 1 micro drop covered the whole core under the lid. I am as happy as a pig in.... :rolleyes:

Tomorrow i will see how much i can squeeze out of this cpu. TIM on cpu looked like arctic silver! Felt like rubber, very weird.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.
16 REPLIES 16

Taurus_G4
Level 7
Impressive! I wasn't really expecting that much of a difference and must say I'm very much intrigued to try it out 😉

btw did you bond it back together? if so what did you for it?

TY. I was nervous as hell. The razor method was so easy compared to the videos i have seen. The tim on the die is pure crap. next gen tim my as*. Did not bond it back only if i ever have to bring it back then i will lol. just place lid on it while in mobo snap it in and your done. amazing heat difference. & i only have a corsair h80 no 100i or whatever they are now. i can not get it over 60c with igpu turned on. Trust me if i can do it, you can do better! my hands were shaking and i still did it lol. if you dont want to use liquid metal then only 1 other almost as good and that is GELID GC-Extreme.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.

Costas
Level 10
I did the same for my overclocked 4790K just a couple of weeks ago.

I experienced a drop of 20 to 25C when running under heavy load [P95 Small FFT etc] - I have been most impressed by the Liquid Ultra TIM.

Same here. If Intel gave a crap about enthusiasts they would charge more for soldiered high end cpu's and i would gladly pay more. I read an article on Intel 4790k overheating thread that specifically stated not to use small fft with this CPU but i don't remember why. What is your max temp now?

digmeahole1 wrote:
I read an article on Intel 4790k overheating thread that specifically stated not to use small fft with this CPU but i don't remember why. What is your max temp now?

It has to do with the thermal dissipation. Running the small FFT test dumps a lot of heat so most coolers are not up to the task of keeping the cpu cool enough when running this particular test. So people do not recommend running it if overclocked/overvolted and running a basic cooler config. You will find that many who run this test find that their core temps shoot up to 100+C really quick [within seconds] when overclocked and overvolted.

Prime95 v28.5 utilises the AVX instruction set and while executing these instructions on 4770's/90s etc, they will run extremely hot if the Small FFT test [or even the 'Blend' test] is selected..

I have a custom water cooled loop which has 2x 480mm radiators and I manage to keep the cpu under 80C with ambients around the 22 to 25C mark when running P95 Small FFT. So its not really an issue for my setup.

I love the way it looks, especially the block! Nicely done.... So if you delidded your temps with small fft would be under 70c. I can see that CPU stable over 5.0 ghz with those frigid temps. What is your clock speed & volts right now?

digmeahole1 wrote:
I love the way it looks, especially the block! Nicely done.... So if you delidded your temps with small fft would be under 70c. I can see that CPU stable over 5.0 ghz with those frigid temps. What is your clock speed & volts right now?

Temp is only part of the equation - Voltage is the other. Most DC CPUs do not scale all that well after 4.8GHz or there-about. I haven't bothered taking it much over 5Ghz as at 5Ghz the voltage required is 1.4v+.

For my chip the sweet spot seems to be at 4.8GHz. Note that I am also running the cache at 4.6GHz.

Here is a HWINFO snapshot of temps and voltages when running Prime95 Small FFT's.

From memory ambient temp was around 21C on the day of this particular run.

Vcore is approx 1.34V.

Nice results. Your cooling solution is perfect for those clocks. I assume you temps never go over 60c in every day use compared to Prime95 Small FFT's. What is the max volts a DC can take? I searched the web and everyone has a different answer. I tried to get the info from Intel as well but no answer.

movieman03
Level 7
I am a little lost on the procedure. Is this the correct?

1. delid
2. clean chip
3. put on liq ultra
4. put the lid back on
5. put on liq ultra on the lid
6. put on cooler