New ROGer Array

Crosshair V formula z build issues

I recently bought this mobo to go with my new desktop build but I am getting the dreaded ff code. I have this with a 1000 watt psu, AMD FX-9370 Vishera 8-Core 4.4GHz Socket AM3+ 220W Desktop Processor . I build this pc and when it I try to turn it on is that it flashes FF code into a 10 then a OC where then finally the dram light blinks and the FF code pops up again until the entire thing turns off again. I have tried moving the ram, troubleshooting to see which part is not working but I can conclude that either the mobo is doa or the processor but I have no idea who the culprit is. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

What power connectors do you have plugged in ?
    MOBO - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
    CPU - AMD FX-9370 @ 4.7GHz 1.45v
    COOLING- Xspc raystorm,Xspc RX240 rad, EK C5F-Z wb,Swiftech mcp 655 pump
    RAM - 8GB Corsair Dominator @ 2133MHz 9 11 11 31 54 2T 1.65v
    GPU - ASUS R9 390X DCII 8GB
    HDD - Samsung SSD 250gb evo X2 raid 0/ Segate 1.5tb 7200
    PSU - Corsair TX750W
    CASE - Corsair 450D
    OS - Windows 7 Pro 64bit

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array MeanMachine PC Specs
    MeanMachine PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)I enjoy my wife
    MotherboardCVI HERO + CVII Hero Wifi
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1800X + 2700X
    Memory (part number)CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 + F4-3200C14D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX980 SC for CVFZ
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GTX 1080 hybrid
    Graphics Card #3GTX 770 for phys x
    Sound CardMB
    MonitorHP w2408h
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2
    Storage #2Samsung 840EVO 500GB and 960 M.2 pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H105, H110 and H115i
    CaseCorsair 750D and 780T
    Power SupplyCorsair AX-1200i and Antec 850 pro platinum
    Keyboard Logitech K800
    Mouse Razer Mamba
    Headset Corsair Vengeance 2100
    OS W7 Ultimate 64bit and W10 pro 64bit
    Network RouterNetcom Wireless NF18ACV

Hi Robbie8292 and Welcome to ROG.., You must have both 8pin and 4pin sockets occupied on the MB to assist the CPU.

If Qcode FF persists, you will have to bench test outside your case.

The dreaded "FF" POST code, or no POST at all.
    This fix is best done outside a case to ensure the case isn't shorting the motherboard:

Qcode: FF indicates Fault Found.

1) If you know what burnt electronics smell like, then smell your motherboard. I'm not joking. Specifically around the VREG (left/above the socket), Southbridge (below the socket) and Chipset (right of the PCI slots) areas. If you smell burnt electronics, keep that in mind if you hit step (7b) below as that'll means its the motherboard 99.9% of the time.

2) Test the PSU with a tester, if it's not beeping/blinking at you then it's ok. Unplug and re-plug the 24-pin connection several times. Keep an eye on the "PG" and see if it ever reports 0ms or 999ms as this means it's a bad PSU (since this is unloaded it won't fail the PSU tester every time even though it will fail the motherboard every time). If you don't have PSU tester, swap in your known-good PSU.

3) With the PSU verified to be good, plug in ONLY the power to the motherboard (20+4-pin and 4/8-pin CPU power, but NOT the 4-pin molex connection if it has one). Disconnect EVERYTHING else from power (hard drives, DVD drives, etc).

4) Remove all RAM. Remove all GPUs. Remove all other PCI/PCI-e cards. Unplug all the cables (including SATA, IDE, FDD, SAS, USB, Firewire, HD Audio, and all the switches but the power switch) from the motherboard. You should have just your MoBo, CPU, HSF, PSU and a power switch connected right now. Disconnect EVERYTHING from the front and back panels of the computer, including your mouse and keyboard.
    4a) if your computer does NOTHING when you hit the power button, plug the reset switch into the power switch pins on the motherboard and use the reset button in case the power button has gone bad - yes, it happens, no it won't damage anything.

5) Remove the BIOS battery and leave it out until you're told to put it back in.

6) Power on the computer. If it beeps or gives a POST code other than FF then go to (7a) below, if not check out (7b)

7a) If it beeps at you, or gives any POST code other than FF then turn it back off. Leave the BIOS battery out. You will now add in 1 piece of hardware, power it on, check if it POSTs (and gives any error other than FF), if it does, turn it back off and add the next component. Start with RAM, one stick at a time, then GPUs, one at a time, then other expansion cards, finally HDDs/DVD drives - rebooting between each and every part.

8a) If it starts giving an FF code or stops POSTing all together then the last component you added is bad.

9a) If it doesn't give a FF error code and is still POSTing with all your hardware back in, shut it down again, put the BIOS battery back in and power back on one more time. If it gives an FF code now, replace your BIOS battery.

10a) If it works with everything back in, then your motherboard lives to fight another day.

7b) If it still POSTs as FF or not at all in this condition remove the CPU, make sure the pins are intact, reseat the CPU and HSF and try it again. If it still posts FF you either have a bad motherboard (about 95% of the time or about 100% if you smelled burnt electronics in step 1) or a bad CPU (about a 5% chance).

8b) Swap in a known working motherboard if you have one to test the CPU is good, or bring in a spare CPU to test the motherboard with. Whichever part fails is the culprit, replace it and go again.

As you see it can mean a number of things, so follow these steps and see how you go.
    We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
    CPU:
    AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

New ROGer Array

Alright I am under the assumption that the mobo is bad with all of the steps I took.. I guess I will be mailing this back to newegg and praying to the gods that the new one isn't broken =/.

New ROGer Array JCarlo5 PC Specs
    JCarlo5 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)X series ($329 FROM LATE 2013)
    MotherboardCrosshair V Formula z
    ProcessorFX 9590
    Memory (part number)G-SKILL RipjawsZ F3-1866C10Q-32GZM
    Graphics Card #1GTX 980 Strix
    Graphics Card #2GTX 980 Strix
    Monitor5 Asus VN279
    Storage #160 gb
    Storage #2Seagate 5600 1tb
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X60
    CaseNZXT Phantom(og)
    Power SupplyNZXT Hale 90v2 1200W
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Headset Logitech G430 7.1
    OS Win 8.1

I just bought all new parts: formula z, 9590 cpu, nzxt kraken x60, nzxt hale 1200 watt psu, and g-skill ripjaws f3 1866c10q-32gzm. Although not particularly an issue, I have 2 GTX strix 980's.
    Since the psu is modular, do i have to plug the 8 pin to the psu port marked cpu or just any port? I didn't and the cord started melting to the mobo. I removed the cord from both. Plugged a new cord to the cpu port on the psu and to the 4 pin on the board. Turning it on and then the FF q-code appears and the status led for dram blinks. I tried moving a single ram around , but still same. Any help is really appreciated. I even tried using an 8gb stick from my old build and moved that around aswell. To test the ram i tried it on my old build and it would not work there either. Only now my old build wont work either.

New ROGer Array

Robbie, I had the same issue with my build a couple of months ago. All I did was reset the CPU and and waterblock and it worked fine after that with no codes. You DO NOT need both the 8 pin and the 4 pin plugged in, the 8 pin will more than suffice...I have read up plenty on it.