cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RoG Laptop advice

Icemix
Level 7
Hello everyone!

I am thinking of moving to a mobile platform, but before I do anything I need to see if it's worth it.
I just love the G75x models, the dual fan seems an awesome feature, but I really love with the design of the G751 series so that's what I am aiming for.

So I've looked at benchmarks, but I would like to hear about user experience also. I mean, there is no point in having a Ferrari if you are never driving at more than 60 mph.

My current system is 2 years old, and it looks like this:
-AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz 8-core CPU
-some cheap ASRock MB, not at home right now to check model
-Sapphire HD7870 Ghz edition 2Gb DDR5 256-bit GPU
-2x4Gb Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9
-Samsung 840 EVO SATA-III 128 Gb SSD
-WD Blue 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64MB HDD

In the end I am left with 2 choices:
-G751JM with Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ, 8GB, 1TB, GeForce GTX 860M 2GB at the retailer, priced at roughly 1200 $
OR
-G751JY with Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ, 8GB, 1TB, GeForce GTX 980M 4GB at roughly 1700 $

In between these 2, there would be other options like:
-G751JT with Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz Haswell, 16GB, 1TB + 128GB SSD, GeForce GTX 970M 3GB at roughly 1650 $, but for +50$ I get the 980M and lose and SSD. I can install an SSD separately, but won't be able to change the GPU. This is the logic I am working with so please correct me if it's wrong.
OR
-another G751JM model with different specs: Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ, 16GB, 1TB + 256GB SSD, GeForce GTX 860M 2GB for roughly 1500$

From what I've gathered from benchmarks, the only one stronger than my current PC would be the G751JY , as on charts my HD7870 outperforms the mobile version of the GTX 860.

What I would like to find out, which would be the best option here. I've read some truly positive feedback about the 9xx series GPUs, but the only game I play is World of Warcraft so I don't need a top of the line GPU.
Can the 860M can provide me with at least the same performance as my current GPU, taking into consideration the CPU also, since Intel is way better for that game than my AMD. Will the overall performance be worse/the same/better?

Thank you
Have a nice day!
2 REPLIES 2

KMandalore
Level 7
dont buy a laptop they have a two year life span. take your money and upgrade your rig.

Antronman
Level 10
My advice is to stick with a desktop.

Unless you're going to be in a room that can barely fit you, even if you need transportability you're better off with a mini-ITX system.

Take the money, upgrade your current system and be content.

There's no point in buying a Ferrari unless you absolutely really like Ferraris more than any other make.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me