cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG278Q ROG Swift: Out of Range above 100hz refresh rate

TrueNorthStar
Level 7
Hello,

I recently purchased the PG278Q and I cant seem to get it to display above 100hz without it going black with an "Out of Range" message.

System specs:
Rampage V Extreme X99 (bios 1001)
i7 5930K
32GB G.Skill 2666
x2 Strix GTX980's in SLi (Driver ver 344.48)
Windows 8.1 64bit
x4 250gb Samsung 850 evo SSD's in RAID 0
4tb WD Green

In the Nvidia control panel under Display>Change resolution it only shows 24,60 & 85hz under "native"
Under Custom, it shows 100 & 144hz.
When I choose 100 it displays fine, but once I hit 144hz the monitor gives me the "Out of Range" message. I wait and it reverts back to 100hz.
If I press the "Turbo" button on the monitor, it will cycle up to 100hz, press it one more time and it goes "Out-of Range" and then the turbo button has no affect. I must either disconnect the power to the monitor or disconnect the displayport cable and then reconnect it. The monitor is back at 100hz at this point.

UMLB is off so I know that is not limiting it.

I called Tech support to see if they could help but they told me to come here as they believe my "Video card needs tweaking to achieve 144hz, but we don't support that"

I'm at a loss for now and could use some direction.

Is there anything else I can check or do I need to RMA this thing?

Thanks in advance!
16 REPLIES 16

rochyroch
Level 7
Strange that it will only cycle to 100hz using the turbo button, something isn't right.

Have you tried newer graphic drivers ?

rochyroch wrote:
Strange that it will only cycle to 100hz using the turbo button, something isn't right.

Have you tried newer graphic drivers ?

I'm using the newest driver that Asus has on their website, should I just use the Nvidia driver? I guess I can give that a shot and see how it goes.

Ok I loaded the 347.25 drive from nvidia and I still have the same issue 😞 any other ideas?

rochyroch
Level 7
It might be worth running DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
DDU totally removes everything to do with your graphic drivers, setting etc.
then installing the drivers again,

To me your problem sounds like it's more a driver or driver setting issue, from what you said about 100 & 144hz showing under custom.
i could be wrong though 🙂

rochyroch
Level 7
I'd also just try popping a graphics card out and running with just one card, just incase it's an SLI issue.
If you can get it working with one card at least you will know if the monitor is ok.

TrueNorthStar
Level 7
I can't pop my graphics cards out easy as they are watercooled, but I should be able to disable them via the dip switches on my rampage V, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Daddy_arcanjo
Level 7
Have RoG swift with 1x strix 980 and everything normal over here, my idea is get another strix gtx980 so i´ll be looking this thread with atention. If i were you i would check with only 1 strix980 or test it with another display port cable coz saw some ppl that the cable that come with the monitor was not working properly. Good luck solving this !!

TrueNorthStar
Level 7
Well I went out today and purchased a new display port cable and guess what..... 144hz is working now! Not a Driver/sli/monitor issue 🙂 well other than the cable that I was using came with my swift 😕 I don't know what to say about that.

Thanks to everyone that helped me figure this out!! You guys ROQ 😛

Happy for you man, enjoy the lovely 144hz on this monitor

cheers