cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received my new G751JY. Here are my thoughts on it.

JerJer123
Level 7
Hey guys, I bought the G751JY laptop from NewEgg and got it Thursday. I've had it for a few days now, so I thought I would share my thoughts on the machine.

THE GOOD
First off, I have to say I love the overall look of the laptop. It's very slick looking. I'm coming from the G74 and it seems like it's a little thinner, and probably around the same weight. Love the RoG logo on the back, and the aluminium finish.

Having never experienced an SSD before, I was completely blown away by how quickly this thing booted up when I turned it on. It literally takes a few seconds and BOOM, you're ready to go! SSDs really live up to the hype. It also makes a huge difference in games that have load times.

Another I want to talk about is the screen/display on the laptop. Now, I was very skeptical about this laptop's screen when I first saw that it had an antiglare display. I was never really a fan or into the antiglare/matte screens because I always thought they were hard to look at, and they lacked in picture quality. Coming from a laptop that had a glossy screen and a beautiful display, I was very worried I wouldn't be satisfied with this display. Boy, was I wrong. This laptop's display is beautiful. It took me about a day to getting used to it and after that, I was okay with it. The colors are vibrant, and the viewing angles are great. I did have to re-calibrate the screen because I found that the colors were too warm for me, so I tweeked the screen with Nvidia control panel, and I'm pretty satisfied with the result. I did have to uninstall Asus Splendid utility because for some reason, every time I restarted the machine, it would revert to the the splendid settings. One thing I really had to play with was the contrast and gamma. Darker details (mostly black) are harder to make out, so what I did was lower the contrast a bit and bump up the gamma just a small bit, and everything was fine. If you're one of those people who had any doubts about the display or are glossy screen fanatics like myself, give it a shot. You will not be disappointed.

So now that those things are out of the way, let's talk about the performance of this thing. It's an absolute BEAST. Although I have only played 1 game so far on this laptop, I could definitely see the performance jump from a 560M to a 980M. Not only did I see higher frame rates, but I also experienced way faster load times because I installed the game on the SSD. I also ran 3dmark and the results were on par with those in the benchamark sticky thread (high scores). I can't say I am anything but blown away with how fast this thing is. As far as temperatures are concerned, the max GPU temperature I saw playing my game (Path of Exile) was around 67C, which is amazing. When I'm not gaming, the GPU sits at around 40C.

THE BAD

With all the amazing things about this laptop, there are a few nitpicks I have about a few things

The first thing that comes to mind is the bluray/cd bay on the left side of the laptop. The bay is easily opened when there's any pressure on it. So whenever I pick up the laptop, it pops open. Not a deal breaker for me, but it is annoying.

Next, are those quick launch buttons that are on the top left corner of the laptop (The Shadow play/Steam/m1,m2,m3 buttons). Every time I go to press escape, I accidentally hit the shadow play button, which ends up lauching Nvidia shadow play. This is VERY annoying. I have no idea why ASUS decided to place those buttons there. I also have no use for the steam key, or the other M1-3 buttons. Hopefully, there's a way to completely disable them, or bind them to something else.

Another thing that annoys me is that the audio ports are on the right side of the laptop as opposed to being on the left. This may be just a preference thing, but on my old G74, the audio ports were on the left side. Now that they are on the right, my hand constantly bumps into my headset's analog 3.5mm connectors, when using my mouse (I am right handed). Again, this isn't a deal breaker for me, but I do find it very annoying.

OTHER THOUGHTS
I didn't touch on the sound quality of the speakers in either the good or the bad section of my post. 'm sure most people who check this forum were probably aware of the imbalance sound issue the G751 had. When I first tested the sound, it did sound off and very flat. I wasn't really bothered by it, because I use a headset. However, Asus did put out a new sound driver and the sound is definitely much better/louder than it was before.

If you're looking for a powerful gaming laptop with a great screen, I highly recommend getting this badboy. As of now, I'm very happy with my purchase and overall very happy with the quality of the laptop.

Jer.
6 REPLIES 6

ManjuprasadMBas
Level 7
I would also like to make a note that Audio control buttons like mute volume up down should have near F1, F2, F3 as we rarely use sleep (F1) & airplane mode (F2), every time you have to control volume one has to use both the hands and some times your right hand is busy with writing , eating or what ever reasons it becomes difficult to control volume.( What on earth the person designing the keyboard layout was thinking.:eek:)

As for the escape key eventually i got use to it.;)

Richdog
Level 7
The buttons are indeed poorly placed, and it just goes to show that ASUS have some real incompetence in their design team, probably at the managerial levels.

The oversized optical drive button issue is almost unforgivable in its stupidity, it literally opens every time I pick up the laptop, the button is so sensitive even a light brush against it will open it. I can't even find a way to disable it even when I do so in device manager.

The headphone port being on the bottom right is also very badly placed as this interferes with the mouse, and I have to tuck the cable underneath the laptop to keep it out of the way.

So yeah, ASUS are clearly a company that do not learn and improve through generations of design, and in someways even take steps back.

diogogmaio
Level 7
JerJer123 wrote:
Hey guys, I bought the G751JY laptop from NewEgg and got it Thursday. I've had it for a few days now, so I thought I would share my thoughts on the machine.

THE GOOD
First off, I have to say I love the overall look of the laptop. It's very slick looking. I'm coming from the G74 and it seems like it's a little thinner, and probably around the same weight. Love the RoG logo on the back, and the aluminium finish.

Having never experienced an SSD before, I was completely blown away by how quickly this thing booted up when I turned it on. It literally takes a few seconds and BOOM, you're ready to go! SSDs really live up to the hype. It also makes a huge difference in games that have load times.

Another I want to talk about is the screen/display on the laptop. Now, I was very skeptical about this laptop's screen when I first saw that it had an antiglare display. I was never really a fan or into the antiglare/matte screens because I always thought they were hard to look at, and they lacked in picture quality. Coming from a laptop that had a glossy screen and a beautiful display, I was very worried I wouldn't be satisfied with this display. Boy, was I wrong. This laptop's display is beautiful. It took me about a day to getting used to it and after that, I was okay with it. The colors are vibrant, and the viewing angles are great. I did have to re-calibrate the screen because I found that the colors were too warm for me, so I tweeked the screen with Nvidia control panel, and I'm pretty satisfied with the result. I did have to uninstall Asus Splendid utility because for some reason, every time I restarted the machine, it would revert to the the splendid settings. One thing I really had to play with was the contrast and gamma. Darker details (mostly black) are harder to make out, so what I did was lower the contrast a bit and bump up the gamma just a small bit, and everything was fine. If you're one of those people who had any doubts about the display or are glossy screen fanatics like myself, give it a shot. You will not be disappointed.

So now that those things are out of the way, let's talk about the performance of this thing. It's an absolute BEAST. Although I have only played 1 game so far on this laptop, I could definitely see the performance jump from a 560M to a 980M. Not only did I see higher frame rates, but I also experienced way faster load times because I installed the game on the SSD. I also ran 3dmark and the results were on par with those in the benchamark sticky thread (high scores). I can't say I am anything but blown away with how fast this thing is. As far as temperatures are concerned, the max GPU temperature I saw playing my game (Path of Exile) was around 67C, which is amazing. When I'm not gaming, the GPU sits at around 40C.

THE BAD

With all the amazing things about this laptop, there are a few nitpicks I have about a few things

The first thing that comes to mind is the bluray/cd bay on the left side of the laptop. The bay is easily opened when there's any pressure on it. So whenever I pick up the laptop, it pops open. Not a deal breaker for me, but it is annoying.

Next, are those quick launch buttons that are on the top left corner of the laptop (The Shadow play/Steam/m1,m2,m3 buttons). Every time I go to press escape, I accidentally hit the shadow play button, which ends up lauching Nvidia shadow play. This is VERY annoying. I have no idea why ASUS decided to place those buttons there. I also have no use for the steam key, or the other M1-3 buttons. Hopefully, there's a way to completely disable them, or bind them to something else.

Another thing that annoys me is that the audio ports are on the right side of the laptop as opposed to being on the left. This may be just a preference thing, but on my old G74, the audio ports were on the left side. Now that they are on the right, my hand constantly bumps into my headset's analog 3.5mm connectors, when using my mouse (I am right handed). Again, this isn't a deal breaker for me, but I do find it very annoying.

OTHER THOUGHTS
I didn't touch on the sound quality of the speakers in either the good or the bad section of my post. 'm sure most people who check this forum were probably aware of the imbalance sound issue the G751 had. When I first tested the sound, it did sound off and very flat. I wasn't really bothered by it, because I use a headset. However, Asus did put out a new sound driver and the sound is definitely much better/louder than it was before.

If you're looking for a powerful gaming laptop with a great screen, I highly recommend getting this badboy. As of now, I'm very happy with my purchase and overall very happy with the quality of the laptop.

Jer.

Can you share your IPS monitor settings please? Do you feel any ghosting/blur when gaming? I'm having a problem with the display...when i connect an external monitor there isn't a problem but when I play with the laptop screen I have ghsoting/ blur with the latest nvidia driver!

diogogmaio wrote:
Can you share your IPS monitor settings please? Do you feel any ghosting/blur when gaming? I'm having a problem with the display...when i connect an external monitor there isn't a problem but when I play with the laptop screen I have ghsoting/ blur with the latest nvidia driver!

I don't notice any blur or ghosting while playing. I've been playing GTA 5 alot lately and I don't notice any of that. I am currently using the latest Nvidia drivers for the GTx 980M. My refresh rate is set to 60Hz by default. On Splendid, I have it set to Manual and the slider is all the way to 50. Apart from that, everything else is using default settings as far as display is concerned.

MafJose
Level 7
Glad to see that there´s people who recieve seem to be well working PC at the first try 🙂 I bought 2 ROG line laptops last month and had to return them both due to defects.
But my question is - what´s your CPU and GPU temperatures while playing GTA 5?

About that ghosting mentioned by other user, I believe its due to faulty IPS panel. Should be worth to contact the reseller about it and possibly swap the PC.

MafJose wrote:
Glad to see that there´s people who recieve seem to be well working PC at the first try 🙂 I bought 2 ROG line laptops last month and had to return them both due to defects.
But my question is - what´s your CPU and GPU temperatures while playing GTA 5?

About that ghosting mentioned by other user, I believe its due to faulty IPS panel. Should be worth to contact the reseller about it and possibly swap the PC.

I'm playing at 1600x900 in windowed mode with mostly high settings/MSAAx2. GPU is anywhere from 68C to 73C depending on my location in the game. CPU is a little higher, from 79C to 83C. FPS is 60 most of the time, but the lowest I've seen it go is around 45 in certain areas of the city.