cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EATX 12_1 and EATX 12_2

Kriant
Level 7
Hello. So, the question is: I see that there are two CPU power plugs, an 8pin and a 4pin.
Question: Should I be plugging in both?

I am asking this, because I get random shutdown/reboot problems. I was testing my 4.3ghz settings today, and 4h in -I get a shutdown/reboot with event log just saying sudden power loss.
PSU was pulled from my working rig a few days ago, when I got my new parts.

Also: before you will point to me that it is stupid to use 2 different ram kits, because they are not tested in tandem by the manufacturer etc -> I've tested with one kit, and got the same issue with shutdown/restart. Took the OC down, and tested all kits with memtest, and no issues on their own, or together in 2-kit pair. + I will run them at 2666 speeds, so I will take this horrible risk. Memkits should cause bsods at their worst or boot-refusal, not a sudden shutdown/reboot, at least not that I've ever seen before.

System specs:
i7 5930k
RVE
2 kits for 4x4gb Geil ddr4 3000
4x r9 290x
LEPA G1600 PSU
1x intel 320 40gb ssd
1x PNY 120gb ssd
1x Caviarl Black HDD 1tb
1x Samsung F3 1tb
2x MCP 655 pumps
bunch or fans
2x 360 rads + 1x 1080 rad.

P.S. thanks for your advices in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

Chino
Level 15
1. Yes, please populate both the 8 pin and 4 pin power headers.

2. Make sure your motherboard is running the latest 1001 BIOS. If not, download the BIOS file onto a fresh FAST32 formatted USB pendrive and update through the EZ Flash Utility in the BIOS.

3. And yes. Combining memory kits can cause sudden shutdowns. Use one kit for now.

Chino wrote:
1. Yes, please populate both the 8 pin and 4 pin power headers.

2. Make sure your motherboard is running the latest 1001 BIOS. If not, download the BIOS file onto a fresh FAST32 formatted USB pendrive and update through the EZ Flash Utility in the BIOS.

3. And yes. Combining memory kits can cause sudden shutdowns. Use one kit for now.

1. Thanks. Done. Put it to the test right now.

2. Already did. Thanks.

3. Really ? Well, the systems is running OCCT right now, so, we'll see. If I get another shutdown (hopefully not), I'll retry with one kit.
Is that more related to x99 chipset than to others? Because I've never seen or even heard of sudden shutdowns due to ram.

MrLomax
Level 7
there´s a 3rd molex header close to supremefx zone

MrLomax wrote:
there´s a 3rd molex header close to supremefx zone

That one I plugged in right away

Kriant
Level 7
Second 4h OCCT run was successful. I'll try to play some demanding titles (Evolve n stuff) to see whether it will be stable there, and then run realbench for a few hours.
Hopefully I just needed that 4pin plug to run properly. *fingers crossed*

P.S. Just in case I've lowered LLC from 8 to 7 prior to running that OCCT test, so that might've helped as well.

Just want to add a question to that about using both the 8pin and 4pin power header, is it required? Or is it mostly for high overclocking? Just wondering since my 850W PSU only have one 8pin power plug.

Edit: Nvm had another 8/4 pin power plug, though am still curious if both are needed as the system has been running fine on one 8 pin, but haven't started overclocking yet, and i guess that's where the extra power comes in handy?

Chino wrote:
Cool.

Keep us updated.

I was looking at my PSU specs yesterday, and, well, 12v2 rail (CPU rail) is gimped to 20A, while rails 3-6 are 30A.....soooooo yeah, that might have been my issue. Now that the 4pin is in, and feeding from one of the 30A rails (which it shares with one of the GPUs), it should be better.
Played some "Evolve" last night - no issues. I need to test BF4 or smthg, that will use all 4 gpus as well as CPU.

I'll try that, and if it works, I'll go for 4.4ghz.

Also considering supernova 1600 G2 as an alternative PSU, because of that massive 133A 12v rail

Chino
Level 15
The 8 pin power connector should be populated at all times. The extra 4 pin connector is optional but it's recommended to populate it if your PSU has the extra cable. Now if you'll be overclocking, it's highly recommended to connect the 4 pin power cable to the header.