cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG button for boot linux

Retired
Not applicable
Hi!!

I'll buy a G74SX-A1 notebook and I want to use the ROG button (that originally boot on ExpressGate Cloud) to boot a linux OS while the power on button keep login at Windows 7.

Could it be possible??

I'm not an expert on computer or linux, but I can try some stuff.

I need to install Linux on my computer because my job require it, but I'll keep Windows for playing.

Thanks!!

Obs: I don't have a G74SX yet, I'll get it in few weeks.
9 REPLIES 9

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I'm not an expert on this, but I don't think you can do it. The "extra" keyboard keys on Asus machines are locked by the ATK package to the functions Asus has assigned them. I know other Linux users have expressed frustration that they cannot get any of the keyboard features provided by the ATK driver.

I think you'll need to set up a dual-boot configuration the usual way, with an option screen at start-up.

JRd1st
Level 12
I don't think so either . . . . 😕
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Blumberg:
As I understand your message, you want a hardware solution for a dual boot system (Windows, Linux). I doubt that is possible with the ROG button, without a bunch of internal rewiring, but why not just use lilo or grub? That is, after you install linux on the partition you want it, set up grub to bring up a menu right after the system posts to allow you to choose which OS to boot. Works great and has never let me down.
But make sure you install linux after you install windows. If you install Windows afterwards (or reinstall it later), it will overwrite the MBR and allow you only to boot windows thereafter. You'll have to boot linux with a bootdisk and reinstall grub.
Microshaft thinks its own OS should be the only one on any computer.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

JRd1st
Level 12
Blumberg wrote:
Hi!!

I'll buy a G74SX-A1 notebook and I want to use the ROG button (that originally boot on ExpressGate Cloud) to boot a linux OS while the power on button keep login at Windows 7.

Could it be possible??

I'm not an expert on computer or linux, but I can try some stuff.

I need to install Linux on my computer because my job require it, but I'll keep Windows for playing.

Thanks!!

Obs: I don't have a G74SX yet, I'll get it in few weeks.

You would have to edit the BIOS, wouldn't you?

You can dual boot, though. Set up GRUB or something else to give you a menu.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Hi fostert

This is the way that i'm doing so far... I just wanted to know if there is some way to use the useless button and make my life easy.

I don't know how to change or modify my bios, so.... I'll keep using GRUB with dual boot screen to choose witch operation system I want to boot.

If some one discovery some (easy ... or almost easy) way to use the ROG button to boot on linux, please, let me know.

Thanks!!

grungeboy2
Level 10
if it makes you feel any better, i think the ExpressGate OS is linux based.

Retired
Not applicable
Probably it is.

I saw in other forum some guys that do it, but I'm not sure if is G74 or G73 or other asus.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10863855

Any one know if it works for G74SX??

(I'm brazilian and my english is not the best one)

dstrakele
Level 14
That's an interesting link, Blumberg! I don't plan on doing it, but I appreciate the ingenuity behind it...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
I think that it should work... but at a moment, I can't try.

I hope that in a few days I get my Asus and I will try it.

If somebody else have tryed it, let me know, I'll apreciate.