cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low FPS?

Orren
Level 7
Hello,

I recently bought the Asus G751JY. So far there have been good points and bad points which I might discuss later. My biggest problem at the moment is with my FPS. When running the Heaven Benchmark the 980m is scoring only half of what my main PC gets (2500k, GTX780). I have also noticed that it is reporting my GPU temperature as only 46c and the memory clock as only 810mhz?

As far as I can see there are no power saving features on and my device is plugged in. I have not had a laptop in years so any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

fidelity101
Level 7
What frame rates are you getting and on what games? I'm playing Dying Light on Ultra High settings and it's extremely smooth. The laptop performance is always going to be less than a desktop but the 980m should be more powerful than the GTX780...or darn close. Are you concerned because the games are not running smooth...or are you concerned because they're only 80-90fps instead of 100+?

Using GPU-Z I can see that the core clock of the GPU is not exceeding 670mhz.

Orren
Level 7
Thanks for the reply.

I have been playing Dying Light today on max settings (with view distance to max) and it runs very badly (FPS well under 30). At first I put that down to Dying Light not being optimized, but when I've ran the Heaven Benchmark it seems the GPU isn't clocking up and is in a low power state or something similar.

I've solved the issue now, I uninstalled the drivers and downloaded the ones from Asus. I expected that the official ones from Nvidia would have produced the best performance but that doesn't seem the case. Anyway my score in Heaven has increased from low 20s to 47.6 FPS now. This is much closer to my PC score of 56.1FPS.

Thanks for your help again.

Orren wrote:
I've solved the issue now, I uninstalled the drivers and downloaded the ones from Asus. I expected that the official ones from Nvidia would have produced the best performance but that doesn't seem the case. Anyway my score in Heaven has increased from low 20s to 47.6 FPS now. This is much closer to my PC score of 56.1FPS.

Thanks for your help again.

This is also what happened to a friend of mine. A clean install of the NVidia drivers did the trick for him. How is Dying light gameplay now ?