cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an M.2 PCIe SSD on an X99-Deluxe

rolldog
Level 9
I finally got this Samsung XP941 SSD working as my boot drive on the X99-Deluxe, but as I started going through updating drivers, tweaking the BIOS, etc, I noticed in the BIOS under Tool, GPU Post that my 2nd GPU in my dual SLI setup is yellow and has an exclamation point next to it. I'm using an i7-5960X CPU, which runs slots 1 & 3 at x16, but in order for slot 3 to run x16, slot 5, where my M.2 PCIe SSD is installed, must be set for x8. This means the SSD won't work since it has to be in an x4 slot. Is there anyone out there who might be using an M.2 PCIe SSD and running SLI and might have another solution? I thought about moving the PCIe SSD to slot 2, which also runs at x4, but my GPUs take up 2 slots and there's no room for it, unless I try taking the slot cover off the card and see if it will plug in that way.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8

Praz
Level 13
Hello

First, I'm not sure why you are using a PCIe adapter instead of using the drive in the M.2 slot. Second, the drive requires x4 for the stated specs. Like all PCIe devices it will work fine at anything higher than this minimum specification to include x8 and x16.

Doesn't the M.2 slot use the SATA controller at 6GB instead of the PCIe lanes or do the M.2 slot and the PCIEX16_5 slot share the same bandwidth/lanes?

rolldog wrote:
Doesn't the M.2 slot use the SATA controller at 6GB instead of the PCIe lanes or do the M.2 slot and the PCIEX16_5 slot share the same bandwidth/lanes?

Hello

The M.2 slot is x4 PCIe 3.0 from the CPU.

Oh, thanks. I'm glad I know this now. It'll open up my PCIe slot in case I want to add a 3rd GPU.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

You're welcome. 🙂

wtanoto
Level 7
hi!

I am new. I just bought Asus X99 Deluxe, and was wondering about m.2 ssd. I will be going to Korea and coincidentally the recommended SSDs that I often saw online are Samsung's.
I am aware that in the compatible device list, only XP941 from Samsung is listed (which is PCI-E based). However I am currently looking at the following:
http://www.samsung.com/sec/consumer/it/storage/ssd/MZ-N5E500BW
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-N5E500BW
(I think from the pics it looks like M+B key, while the motherboard supports M, with compatible size - 2280). It should fit perfectly, though I am aware that the speed will be lower than XP941.
My question is:
This device is SATA-based and the X99 Deluxe's specs explicitly said that only PCI-e mode is supported.
Just wondering if it will be compatible (especially helpful if somebody has experience with this SSD)? I know that if I want an easy way, then it should be SSD with SATA interface, but I am looking to reduce the number of cables installed.

Thank you in advance.

wtanoto wrote:
This device is SATA-based and the X99 Deluxe's specs explicitly said that only PCI-e mode is supported.
Just wondering if it will be compatible (especially helpful if somebody has experience with this SSD)? I know that if I want an easy way, then it should be SSD with SATA interface, but I am looking to reduce the number of cables installed.

Hello

You answered your own question. As stated in the motherboard's specs only PCIe interface M.2 drives are supported. SATA interface will not work.

Praz wrote:
Hello

You answered your own question. As stated in the motherboard's specs only PCIe interface M.2 drives are supported. SATA interface will not work.

thanks for the quick reply. Just need to double-check since this is my first time dealing with m.2. The reason I am asking is that I also saw this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/?compatible_with=samsung-internal-hard-drive-mzn5e500bw
There are several X99 Asus motherboard listed which also said PCI-e only on their specs (but no Deluxe). Not sure how reliable is the website. Might have to go with SATA SSD after all.