Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus Impact VII - ACPI problem!

Xeon2K
Level 7
My config:
MB: Maximus Impact VII
CPU: i7 4790 (not oc-d)
Cooler: Swiftech H220-X
RAM: 16 Gb Kingston HyperX 2400 MHz (HX324C11SRK2/16)
Video: PCI-E GeForce GTX980 Gainward 3378 Phantom
PSU: Seasonic X-850 (SS-850KM Active PFC F3) 850W

The problem: computer suddenly shutdowns from time to time. Sometimes it happens 3-4 times a day, sometimes computer can work without shutdown for 2 days. Temperature is OK, I have logged the temperature and before shutdown it was: 40C for CPU, 51C for VRM, 43C for GPU. As you can see - all temperatures are far away from throttling and absolutely OK.

I have checked Windows events for some information about these reboots and found that all the time before shutdown there was an information event:
- The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&2.

I tried to reinstall the OS: tried Windows 7, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.
I have installed all the drivers from MB CD disk (InstALL button), updated BIOS to the most newest version, downloaded and installed drivers from Probe II Sense (ProbeIISense_Win7-8-8-1_V1010), tried to reinstall this driver, downloaded and installed AiSuite3. All drivers for every single device is installed: Intel MEI, chipset, latest NVidia drivers, USB 3.0 and so on.

All of these actions didn't help me to resolve the problem: my PC continue rebooting from time to time with this ACPI message.
Is it any solution for the problem???
19 REPLIES 19

Nate152
Hello Xeon2k and welcome

The best advice I can give you on this would be to reinstall windows. Do not install ai suite 3 or probe II sense and get the latest drivers from the asus support page.

http://support.asus.com/download/Options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1

Yes, I did.
Yes installed LAN driver and Realtek Audio driver. And it was enough to see the problem.

All right I found something, try this:

Insert the motherboard support cd but don't let it run
Go to device manager
Double click the unknown device, this will take you to the properties page
Click update driver
Choose the 2nd option "Browse my computer for driver software"
Browse to your motherboard support cd, it may only show the drive letter
Click next, search will find the driver on the motherboard support cd and install it.

Tell me if this fixes you up.

Xeon2K
Level 7
Hi Nate,

I tried it. I reinstalled Windows 7 three times. At first installation I installed Win7 and drivers from support page of my motherboard. At second time I tried to disable (uninstall) this AMD0 unknown device. At the third time I tried to install some ACPI driver from intel (or microsoft, don't remember) but it did not help anyway.
After that I decided to try Windows 8.1 Pro, so bought it and installed. Fat chance - it did not help also.

Nate152
Keep your software/driver installs to a minimum.

When you installed windows, did you install anything from the support page other than the chipset driver, the IMEI driver and the usb 3.0 driver?

Nate152
It's possibly something to do with the realtek audio driver. I don't have the realtek audio driver installed and I don't get that error.

Do you use a headset for gaming and have the jacks on the front of your case to connect to? You could try uninstalling the realtek driver and see if that error disappears just to confirm it's the realtek driver causing it.

I find it odd your system would shut down because of that error. I'll see what else I can find on this.

Xeon2K
Level 7
Hi Nate,

No, it's not a realtek driver: i have blamed it too, so tried to make a clean install of Win7 and not install realtek driver, but PC was unstable anyway.
I'll try the solution with support cd, hope it'll help!

PS: I think I described the situation wrong, the PC is not shutdown in fact. The screen just becomes black, but PC is still working. So when I press reset button - OS gets a "shutdown signal" and it shutdowns the PC in a few seconds. So it is not a reboot or shutdown problem in fact - it some kind of a "black screen while PC is working" problem.

Sparax
Level 9
Hi Xeon

Have you checked your Power Options it sounds like you might just be going into hibernation mode?

Also here is the best explanation for the ACPI Errors

Nodens wrote:
Ok. First thigns first:

a) Those WUDFRd errors are not ACPI errors. No matter if they point to ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&2. This is just a PNP (Plug and Play) indentifier that points to a device class.

b) WUDFRd is Windows User Mode Driver Framework. This is a framework for drivers that run in user mode, in contrast to kernel mode that most drivers run as. These are drivers that do not need Ring-0 security layer access for those familiar with technical details. For the rest it's too complicated to explain.

c) Those errors happen because of bugs in Windows and specifically the Framework itself. WUDFRd is not available when Windows tries to load the driver so you get these errors in the event viewer. Afterwards the driver for the device is loaded normally, if it wasn't then the device that uses WUDFRd (eg your Android phone) would not work (would not be seen by your PC). These errors can be safely ignored untill Microsoft decides to fix those issues. You will usually see these errors when devices that use WUDFRd are connected during boot/reboot. In case of software using a user mode driver, you will see these errors always if the driver get initiated on boot (so yes it's possible to see these errors caused by software BUT again they are harmless).

Hi Sparax,

Yes, I have checked it. One of the first thing I do with recently installed Windows is to configure Power Management Plan: select High permormance plan and set values for Turn off display, Hibernate and so on to "Never". By the way the problem occurs when I playing games(mostly) and when I trying to watch movies. I think that system should not go into Hibernate mode when there is a lot of user activity (World of Warcraft / Heroes of the Storm / other games).

The problem is that I have build this PC recently and almost all components are new, so it took some time to understand what part is "bugged".
I tried to run OCCT and other CPU heaters - everything was fine, CPU temeperature never gets higher than 70C. After 1 hour I turned this test off and get the CPU off the list of possible bugged hardware.
After that I tried to check my video card: 1 hour Furmark, 80C temperature, everything was stable. So, I decided that video is fine.
After that I checked my memory with Windows memory diagnosting - it says that memory is fine also.

So there is nothing left but motherboard. And if it is not ACPI error - then I'm mixed-up for the moment and just do not know what to do with it.

I'll describe how it looks one more time:
Let's say that you play some game, Counter-Strike for example. So you are running to the base, or from the base, or whatever else, and at the next moment your monitor just going black, sound is turned off, but the system looks working: you may see that cooler is working, HDD, video card and so on - everything is looks and noise as working computer. But you hear no sound and there is no picture on your monitor.
You press "Reset" button and your computer shutdowns in 2-3 seconds (system is on SSD, so it is fast process). After that you press Power button on your case and, when OS is loaded, you going into Event Viewer and check that you have some new records there:
1 error message: "This PC was rebooted unexpectedly" (or something like this).
1 warning message: "This PC was rebooted unexpectedly" (the text is the same as in the message above).
and 1 information message: "The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&2."

So, as PC isn't crushed actually - I can't even get a system crush dump file, because there is no such file: system was shutdown by user command from "reset" button and it is not a crush. But the screen is black and there is no sound. So.. I don't know what to do and what to think. I have checked all the other components exept motherboard and they were OK. So I decided that the problem is in motherboard. I would check it too, but I have no idea how to do it.