cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73Jh ? Random/ intermittent freezing when playing ANY game

Retired
Not applicable
Firstly sorry for the lengthy post as I have never had to explain this kind of thing before and am not very savvy with computer issues but I'm trying to learn.
I sent my G73JH laptop (i7 720, 8GB 1333 RAM, 5870 GPU) in for warranty service approx 2.5 months ago due to this issue and long story short, my laptop was smashed in transit. They finally agreed to repair it at their charge (as they arranged and provided the courrier service to my house for the warranty service), and now I have it back with a new video card, new case, new LCD panel - but the same original problem that I sent it in for.

I brought this system as a desktop replacement as I used to be a gamer and needed a laptop for university so I thought that this seemed like a good option to treat myself with to possibly game with in the future. Only recently (after owning it for over a year) have I attempted to play games on it due to uni commitments. I started with The Witcher, which runs perfectly on my wifes ASUS A43S laptop - which is far inferior (specs wise) to mine. The game will run on max settings (auto detected) on my G73JH, but it loads and goes through the intro cut scene with multiple freezes of the display. I mean that it will play the movie but the screan will freeze for a fraction of a second every 5-10 seconds or so - like a big lag spike. This behaviour continues when attempting to actually play the game where you would proceed to run around and attack enemies, but lose your bearings as these freezing glitches would interfere with the game so much that you would lose your bearings and be unable to get any fluidity with the game. I tried lowering the video setting to minimum (low) with nil changes to the continual freezing issue. I initially thought that it might be a driver issue, but updated everything to the latest drivers and flashed the BIOS to 213 and the 93vBIOS as per the ASUS video instructions to get the latest ATI driver CCC 11.10. This made NO difference at all. Still the same problem with intermittent freezing during games. This problem has occured despite a replacement Video card (I feel like they addressed the damage in transit issue without looking at my original problem). I only got it back on 10/11 and had brought BF3 and pre-ordered Skyrim thinking that my problems would be fixed after the repair. It has not. BF3 runs on high settings beautifully if it weren't for the same issue as happens with the Witcher (intermittent lag spike regardless of video settings). I then discovered the EXACT same issue with Skyrim. I checked the Temps of the Video card which maxed out at 72 degrees celcius and have ran all games from immediate start up at 50 degrees. I have never had to diagnose this kind of thing before and would really appreciate some learned advice as this is knew to me. I will be calling in to the service centre on Monday but would like an idea of what the hell this might be??? I am yet to use any program to monitor the CPU temps. Could it be an issue? or the System board? Any suggestions on possible causes/ fixes would be greatly appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23

JRd1st
Level 12
If the wifi card you have is Atheeos, go here and down load the newer Atheros drive. Uninstall your old one and restaart windows, then install the new driver.

The old driver that ships with these notebooks causes all sorts of problems, so I started there, if that doesnt help we'll do more.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
I uninstalled the old Atheros drive and replaced it with the new one. Nil change.

I do have some more information about my issue. When these little freezes occur, I can put my ear to the upper right quadrant of the keyboard area and hear that whatever is underneath (?hard drive) goes silent (it is hard to notice as it runs near silently anyway) in sync with the freezing of the display. I have just spent a few minutes testing this and this occurs every time the screen freezes... 😞

dstrakele
Level 14
Download DPC Latency Checker and read the web page about how to troubleshoot by disabling various drivers if your system displays DPC Latency. There could be other drivers on your system besides the earlier version Atheros driver that cause DPC Latency.

What Antivirus and firewall software are you running?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
Am running just the free AVG antivirus. I will attempt to use the DPC latency checker that you have mentioned, but I am very concerned about the hardware sounds ceasing during the screen freezes. Could it be a faulty HDD?

JRd1st
Level 12
I wouldn't worry about that. Hdd"s are relatively cheap, anyway.

Now think how does an hdd know you're running a game? If anything I suspect something with yourr graphics adapter or the driver.

Did you ever blow the dust out pf your fan vents?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Have been using the latency checker and following the instructions. I'm in the green when the laptop is idle (under 500mcs). I got some noticeable lag when intentionally fiddling around web browsing and installing a few minor programms. The curious thing is it does not register anything out of the ordinary when running The Witcher through all of the repeated screen freezes, the program reads as persistantly green and under 500 mcs of latency ???
As for a dust build up. I just got it back 3 days ago from having the entire case replaced new, so I don't think that is a problem.

Retired
Not applicable
The Video card was also replaced as part of the damage repairs, but this was happening prior to the Laptop getting smashed.

HJHooch wrote:

As for a dust build up. I just got it back 3 days ago from having the entire case replaced new, so I don't think that is a problem.

As for the dust blow it out anyway, From the results we see in this forum I get the impression that Asus "techs"do no more at RMA than the book says. And knowing Asus, the book is sparse. 😕

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

dstrakele
Level 14
Do the Critical, Errors, and Warnings of the "Summary of Administrative Events" section of Event Viewer point in any troubleshooting direction?

What Antivirus, Malware, and Firewall software are you running? If you exclude the game files from active scanning, does it improve performance?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT