cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID0_SSD_(OS) + 2 ClassicHDD_(DATA) - ISSUE.

Skaarj
Level 7
Issue. In controller mode RAID0. See has attached.
In this mode, the classic problem with the HDD 2.
For example, if you copy from one disk to another, you can lose data on one of the HDD.
At one point, it becomes impossible to copy and after a reboot, the drive on which you are copying the data becomes in OS
becomes unreadable, and the file system on the disk (HDD) is marked as RAW.
In this case, the operation of the RAID0_SSD do not cause any problems.
This happens on different versions of the BIOS (706, 802, 901, 1001)
Until ASUS RVE was motherboard x79 and was no such problem.
2 REPLIES 2

simfreak101
Level 7
It seems that teh SATA port numbering is different between the 2. Is it possible that the drives in the first instance are on a different controller than the 2nd picture?
Reason i ask is because i have seen issues like this in the past and its because the PCIe lanes are being saturated; They only dedicate a certain number of PCIe lanes per SATA controller. SSD's tend to saturate the lanes. Which is why they started dedicated lanes to the SATAex and PCIeSATA ports. Its also the reason i went with a 3rd party RAID controller and disabled the onboard one.
When the lanes are dedicated there are timeout IO's that happen (check out the windows event viewer);
When that happens data becomes corrupt to the point where the FAT (or what ever they are using now) Has entries in it, but the data isnt there.

Just an idea to check. Try moving off the regular drives to the other controller. See if it helps.

Skaarj
Level 7
It seems that teh SATA port numbering is different between the 2. Is it possible that the drives in the first instance are on a different controller than the 2nd picture?

Here's what happens. SATA1,2 & SATA3,4 are designed to build RAID arrays of different levels. All sata ports based on the C610 except SATA Express. Returning to the question. The above 4 SATA ports should work in this mode.

Reason i ask is because i have seen issues like this in the past and its because the PCIe lanes are being saturated; They only dedicate a certain number of PCIe lanes per SATA controller. SSD's tend to saturate the lanes. Which is why they started dedicated lanes to the SATAex and PCIeSATA ports. Its also the reason i went with a 3rd party RAID controller and disabled the onboard one.

Lines should be enough I 5960x. SATAex additional controller I cut no difference.

Just an idea to check. Try moving off the regular drives to the other controller. See if it helps.

These hard drives work fine on these two SATA ports. They are also based on C610.