cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparently Nvidia is blocking GPU overclock on the 900m series, are we safe?

BIOHAZARD9519
Level 7
http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/80690-nvidias-latest-driver-disables-gtx-900m-series-gpu-overclo...

Like the article above says. I am mad and worried that this is happening. Nvidia blames the ability to overclock the mobile GPUs was caused by a bug. That is bogus because I doubt big-time Asus would market their GPU Tweak for laptops based on a bug. Will Asus even have to change their marketing for the G751 models because overclocking is blocked now? The GPU overclocking played a big factor in getting my G750. Now I'm worried if we 800m users are safe with the latest drivers as Nvidia did not mention if the 800m would be blocked too. Is anyone out there running the latest drivers on the 800m series with their GPU Tweak overclock intact and working?

I'd also like to hear what you guys think on this.
2 REPLIES 2

navis995
Level 11
I have the latest drivers on G750JZ and OC works fine.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

BIOHAZARD9519 wrote:
http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/80690-nvidias-latest-driver-disables-gtx-900m-series-gpu-overclo...
Like the article above says. I am mad and worried that this is happening. Nvidia blames the ability to overclock the mobile GPUs was caused by a bug. That is bogus because I doubt big-time Asus would market their GPU Tweak for laptops based on a bug. Will Asus even have to change their marketing for the G751 models because overclocking is blocked now? The GPU overclocking played a big factor in getting my G750. Now I'm worried if we 800m users are safe with the latest drivers as Nvidia did not mention if the 800m would be blocked too. Is anyone out there running the latest drivers on the 800m series with their GPU Tweak overclock intact and working?
I'd also like to hear what you guys think on this.

navis995 wrote:
I have the latest drivers on G750JZ and OC works fine.

BIOHAZARD9519, Nvidia has pulled back, and promises to remove the OC block in the next month's Nvidia driver release 🙂

GTX 900M Overclocking with 347.09, 347.25
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/805791/geforce-drivers/gtx-900m-overclocking-with-347-09-34...

"As you know, we are constantly tuning and optimizing the performance of your GeForce PC.

We obsess over every possible optimization so that you can enjoy a perfectly stable machine that balances game, thermal, power, and acoustic performance.

Still, many of you enjoy pushing the system even further with overclocking.

Our recent driver update disabled overclocking on some GTX notebooks. We heard from many of you that you would like this feature enabled again. So, we will again be enabling overclocking in our upcoming driver release next month for those affected notebooks.

If you are eager to regain this capability right away, you can also revert back to 344.75."

PeterS@NVIDIA
NVIDIA Customer Care

The driver block in 347.52 is only for 980m/970m's, so your 880m isn't affected, and neither is my 780m affected 🙂