cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus VI Impact (mITX) and i7-4790K OVERHEATING ISSUE

medjai
Level 7
Seems that quite a few people are having issues with the z87 versions of some manufacturer's mother boards. On default settings it seems to cause the CPU to over heat under stress to temperatures of around 90-98 C. These are very alarming and dangerous temperatures but manufacturer's like Gigabyte have offered BIOS fixes for these.

I've been following threads on the intel forum for quite a while and even set the XTU settings suggested by Ken from Intel: https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23517

It does seem that the bios is overriding these settings because somehow I can't seem to get the temperatures mentioned in the threads that some of the other Gigabyte users are getting.

I've also ensured that I have set the thermal paste on properly as I have done it 3 separate times with no significant change to the heat.

I hope to get an official message from someone at ASUS as to some hidden BIOS settings that I am not aware of that can help me. Intel has already verified from my serial number that this is not an issue with the processor itself.

As for the community members if you have the same type of hardware configuration please feel free to post your BIOS settings. I AM NOT LOOKING TO OVERCLOCK ( I just want to run at stable temperatures before trying any type of overclocking )
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hello madjai and welcome

If you're using the intel stock cooler you really don't want to be doing any stress testing, but you can set the cpu core voltage lower if your gaming temps are too high.

You can try disabling multicore enhancement, some say that helps lower temps.

What are temps when you play games?

medjai
Level 7
Nate,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention I am not using intel's stock cooler. I am using a water cooler by cooler master.

Here is the full breakdown of parts used: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kmossad/saved/Lmdv6h

I will try turning off multicore enhancements and report back.

Nate152
I would think your temps should be a little better than that with the seidon 120.

Did you remove the thin film off the waterblock and how much thermal paste did you use?

medjai
Level 7
Film was removed and I used a good amount of thermal paste. I've done the dot method and the line method a couple of times. I used the arctic silver 5 thermal grease but it shouldn't matter what brand was used.

I also did try disabling multi-core enhancements but still I get high temps

medjai
Level 7
Can someone from ASUS please give an official statement/position regarding this chipset with this motherboard? This is going to be a major issue and some have already reported this combination as an issue on intel's threads.

keridito
Level 7
@nate152 You are not advised to overclock the CPU with the stock cooler but to stress the CPU using the stock cooler is not something wrong.
Moreover, the overheating problem of Asus MoBo with the i7-4790 is a well known issue by Intel and Asus. I am also have this issue in my z97i-plus MoBo and I have been in contact with Intel Support, after many tests using XTU from Intel, Intel is going to replace my CPU without warranting that the new one will work, since it is a problem of third parties mobo vendors, like Asus or Gigabyte. It is unknown for me if Gigabyte has already addressed the problem, but obviously Asus has not. According to Intel Support staff, they are currently working on finding a solution...

I bought an Asus MoBo because I trusted Asus... Obviously Asus is not reliable anymore. Next time I buy I assembly a new rig I will first contact with Intel to ask which third party vendors have a good performance with the micro I buy... This will avoid any future problem like this.

@medjai, sure an official statement about their current progress on this will be welcome, I doubt they are going to say anything to this matter anyway. Intel Support 10. Asus Support 0. Sad, but true.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Have you tried non-default settings, i.e. an adaptive profile?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601