cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73 black screen/no display

Cjbbruns1
Level 7
I shutdown my laptop last night and when I turned it on this morning, the screen remained black. The harddrives spun, the leds came on, and I heard the windows noise and I was able to type my password and login even though I couldn't see anything. It never displayed the Asus logo and when I tried to enter the bios it displayed nothing. Connecting an external monitor via hdmi did nothing. Reseating the harddrives, using only ac power or battery, and restarting numerous times has done nothing.

Basically, my laptop seems to be fully functional except that the screen stays off and I can't connect an external monitor. What could this be?
35 REPLIES 35

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I hate to say it, but it sounds like there's the possibility of GPU failure. (Although, they often won't even boot when the card completely fails.) When it won't even display the BIOS screens, it's not Windows, driver, or software. If it's under warranty, sounds like you may need to RMA it for GPU or M/B replacement. 😞

EDIT: Another real possibility, now that I think of it....and this would be GOOD news!....is that a cable has just come loose. In every actual GPU failure I've seen, and I've seen several, there are warning signs like flickering, often for weeks before the final failure. Also, as I mentioned, the BIOS should pick up a truly bricked GPU, just blurt out some diagnostic beeps, and shut down. The one thing that doesn't support this notion, though, is that you can't get an external monitor to work. (I'm assuming you had it already set up for an external monitor?)

Thanks. There were no noticeable signs of a gpu failure beforehand. It played skyrim just fine for a few hours a couple nights ago, and I didn't do anything intensive with it yesterday.

I didn't have it set up for an external monitor, I just plugged one in and fiddled with the usual keyboard bindings that switch it over. It's possible that it's not setup correctly, as it's been awhile since I've used one.

Everything seems to work, when I randomly click and press keys I get the expected windows sounds.

I have opened the laptop before, and I'll do it again if you think I'd be able to notice a loose cable?

Cjbbruns1 wrote:
I have opened the laptop before, and I'll do it again if you think I'd be able to notice a loose cable?

Well, I'm not sure if it would be visible. But if it were me, I would follow any cable that goes to the display panel (not the wi-fi antennas), and disconnect/reconnect both ends. I'd also take the opportunity to inspect the cables themselves for any obvious signs of casing wear or damage.

Cjbbruns1
Level 7
Ughhhh okay. I suppose ill try that. I hate doing this though. This laptop has given me nothing but trouble!

Cjbbruns1
Level 7
Well I have it opened down to the vid card right now.... All the cables seem fine and the video cables cannot be manually reseated at either end. I'm pretty disheartened. Anything else I should check for before I close her up? Hopefully I don't make things worse.

What do mean "they can't be reseated?" They should just have connectors on the ends....

If you're uncomfortable in there, or really worried about doing damage, just close it up and let Asus deal with it. 🙂 I don't want to encourage you to do anything you're not comfortable with.

Cjbbruns1
Level 7
On the display end they just disappear into the screen. On the motherboard they end in these strange gold connectors that don't look removable. This sucks!

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Yeah, it does suck. You should NOT have to be doing this......

Close it up then. Sounds like it's time to let Asus diagnose and repair.

Cjbbruns1
Level 7
Okay then. Thanks for the help.