cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about replacing my old G73.

Banshee
Level 8
So there's a G751 and G771 now, huh?

I need help, and I'm having trouble deciphering the sales verbiage.

I use my G73 with i7 for music and graphic arts. Yes I also have a desktop system for heavy stuff, but I like to have a solid machine when I travel, even if it's just to the local library! 😛 Besides, I like the big form factor and the dual fans to get rid of the heat.

I don't play very many games and the music stuff (Cubase, Nuendo, Ableton Live, etc) will run fine on any modern quad-core i7 processor. But the graphic rendering makes life rough for anything but the fastest CPU and GPU processors, so I'm willing to pay up a bit for faster CPU and GPU silicone.

I am looking for these specs (whether I can buy a laptop with them already, or work my way toward them.

• Fast CPU with 4, 6, or more cores and hyperthreading.
  • Fast GPU. If it has an Nvidia with CUDA capability, that would be sweet because I could run the Octane GPU renderer.
  • I'll gladly pay for 32 GB RAM, more if there's a model with higher capacity.
  • Massive SSD and HDD space. Right now my G73 has about 2.5 TB allocated on internal drives, because orchestra, guitar, piano, and other samples and graphic texturing tools plus all my applications take up a lot of space. I would like an SSD, but I need something bigger than the 128-256 GB capacities currently being sold for most factory models.
  • I need at least 2 USB 3.0 connectors. The rest can be USB 2.0.
  • The screen needs to be IPS at a minimum. Touch would be a nice improvement for me, especially if I can use touch for my art or to manipulate mixer faders onscreen.
  • I will use as many monitor connectors as they make, but I prefer HDMI for my 4K tv in the living room, Displayport for the home office, and DVI for everywhere else I might go. I want to be able to run up to 3 external monitors with the laptop closed, 4 with the laptop open.
  • 802.11 AC is pretty much required, but I'd also like an Ethernet port. Yeah, I'm nostalgic like that. :cool:
  • I'm all about Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell so you won't catch me downgrading a brand new laptop.
  • I like the Blue Ray DVD option, but I'm afraid that a 256 GB SSD will end up requiring that I replace the BD with a hard drive.
  • I'm not too concerned about removable vs. non-removable battery controversies. Besides, with all my other gear needing electricity to run, I'll mostly run the new laptop while plugged into the mains anyway. An AC power tap always goes along for the ride.

So now I need your advice for a starting point for further research for me to do. G751 or G771?
My Current Addiction: Asus G73SW i7

12 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro
3TB internal, 5 TB external via USB 3.0
^ I use this system as a mobile DAW, 3D graphic studio, and for other stuff.
6 REPLIES 6

kip777
Level 7
Well I just recently bit the bullet for the G751JT from Newegg with a Samsung EVO 500GB 850 for 179 with an email coupon code it will be here Thursday. I also have a G73SW using a 500GB SSD and a 750GB 7200rpm HDD. left the ram at the stock 8GB, seems like more than enough for what I have done with it. even with over 20 internet tabs open maybe uses 4 gigs? not really checked it while converting video but I've never had an issue. don't think I'll upgrade the 751 from its 16GB.
I use it mostly for DJ/Karaoke so these computers are really overkill, but they are extremely stable and run cool and I don't have any problems. use either virtual DJ or windows media player for music and MTU software for Karaoke.

Now for you, GPU &CPU are a good step up from what you have currently but they incrementally get better every year/generation.(always about the dollar bill)
32GB is it from what I've seen.
1TB SSD's are just over the 400.00 mark, I'm waiting for them to go under. I have been consistently getting 500GB SSD's under 200.00 keep a couple to clone back and forth.

751 all 4 USB 3.0 IPS screen, no touch. 3 external and laptop monitor simultaneously run.

Windows 8 I beta tested and kicked myself for not buying it for 40 bucks after launch. have Windows 10 TP on a machine and love it. free upgrade to 7 & 8 users. seems to me you can boot to desktop in 8 and not look at tiles anyway.

I have a Blu-ray burner in this unit and I'll let you know if it swaps out.

The non-removable battery is a concern for me as I do deal with people consuming alcohol, I say no drinks on the table by the computer but I have turned my back and they just appear so maybe cling wrap over the keyboard since I cant yank the cord and pull the battery, never had to but ya never know.

I'll probably not even boot up the 751 before I take out the drive and copy the necessary partitions ( leave out D) to the SSD.

one of my concerns is I need flat sound being it goes into a couple thousand watt amp. no extra bass but it sounds like a driver issue that has a fix

my 2 cents

Banshee this is probably what your looking for http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWE9SBS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1I5NVH22W7OOD&colii.... The custom shops have some options JY seem to be the one. I almost jumped on this one but then I found out that the 2nd hard drive bay is SATA 2 not 3, for what your doing it might not matter. There is a Mod where you can use the M.2 SSD and have a 2.5" SSD in the SATA 3 there both in the same slot involves removing the 2.5" SSD outside case and rigging both drive so they don't fall out. the picture show tape. It would be a waste of time putting a SSD in the 2nd drive slot. Me I'm on a G75 I'll wait for the next revision. I was close though had it my cart then jumped in here.

'
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Okay, so everybody's saying get the 751 and not the 771, yes?

That Amazon one looks very nice Clint. I need as much internal drive capacity as possible. If you've read my OP, you'll note that I have 3 TB internally now. Also, I use a fourth 1TB (external) drive for my downloads folder (to keep it synced with my main Windows desktop system which helps me avoid downloading product updates more than once). My internal drive growth has slowed down, but has not stopped. I foresee it plateauing around 4TB. Who knows what the future really holds, but for now I need to plan for that, at least loosely.

So the machine needs to support at least 4TB internally. The 751 looks pretty good (but I still don't understand where the 771 is positioned) at this time, so I see these as my possibilities at the moment:

Option 1
Drive 0 - 2TB HDD
Drive 1 - 2TB HDD
Drive 2 - DVD or BR/DVD
Pros: 4 TB internal
Cons: no SSD (minor con)

Option 2
Drive 0 - 1TB SSD
Drive 1 - 2TB HDD
Drive 2 - DVD or BR/DVD
Pro: SSD for OS, programs, and some content
Con: Only 3TB for now

Option 3
Drive 0 - 1TB SSD
Drive 1 - 2TB HDD
Drive 2 - 1TB or 2TB HDD
Pro: 4TB or more internal storage
Con: No built-in BR/DVD

Option 4
Drive 0 - 1TB SSD
Drive 1 - 1TB SSD
Drive 2 - 2 TB HDD
Pro: 4TB internal storage, Lots of SSD
Con: Cost of SSD (minor con), no built-in DVD

Option 5
Drive 0 - 1TB SSD
Drive 1 - 1TB SSD
Drive 2 - 1 TB SSD
Pro: All SSD, no moving parts except for the keyboard keys, laptop buttons, and fans in the system, whoohoo!
Con: Only 3TB internal storage, cost of SSD will raise the cost of the system by about 50% (at today's prices), and no built-in DVD

If I buy that system sometime this year, then I see my best option as #2 above to begin with. Maybe I just need to wait for 2TB SSD's to become available in a laptop size. And of course, I still want to know why there's a G771 and where it fits into Asus' product line.

12 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Banshee
Level 8
Thank you for your reply. So you are suggesting for me to get the 751 and not 771?

12 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

kip777
Level 7
looking at Asus website the 771 has a 860 video card and only a single drive bay, won't fit your needs

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Banshee wrote:
So there's a G751 and G771 now, huh?

I need help, and I'm having trouble deciphering the sales verbiage.

I use my G73 with i7 for music and graphic arts. Yes I also have a desktop system for heavy stuff, but I like to have a solid machine when I travel, even if it's just to the local library! 😛 Besides, I like the big form factor and the dual fans to get rid of the heat.

I don't play very many games and the music stuff (Cubase, Nuendo, Ableton Live, etc) will run fine on any modern quad-core i7 processor. But the graphic rendering makes life rough for anything but the fastest CPU and GPU processors, so I'm willing to pay up a bit for faster CPU and GPU silicone.

I am looking for these specs (whether I can buy a laptop with them already, or work my way toward them.

• Fast CPU with 4, 6, or more cores and hyperthreading.
  • Fast GPU. If it has an Nvidia with CUDA capability, that would be sweet because I could run the Octane GPU renderer.
  • I'll gladly pay for 32 GB RAM, more if there's a model with higher capacity.
  • Massive SSD and HDD space. Right now my G73 has about 2.5 TB allocated on internal drives, because orchestra, guitar, piano, and other samples and graphic texturing tools plus all my applications take up a lot of space. I would like an SSD, but I need something bigger than the 128-256 GB capacities currently being sold for most factory models.
  • I need at least 2 USB 3.0 connectors. The rest can be USB 2.0.
  • The screen needs to be IPS at a minimum. Touch would be a nice improvement for me, especially if I can use touch for my art or to manipulate mixer faders onscreen.
  • I will use as many monitor connectors as they make, but I prefer HDMI for my 4K tv in the living room, Displayport for the home office, and DVI for everywhere else I might go. I want to be able to run up to 3 external monitors with the laptop closed, 4 with the laptop open.
  • 802.11 AC is pretty much required, but I'd also like an Ethernet port. Yeah, I'm nostalgic like that. :cool:
  • I'm all about Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell so you won't catch me downgrading a brand new laptop.
  • I like the Blue Ray DVD option, but I'm afraid that a 256 GB SSD will end up requiring that I replace the BD with a hard drive.
  • I'm not too concerned about removable vs. non-removable battery controversies. Besides, with all my other gear needing electricity to run, I'll mostly run the new laptop while plugged into the mains anyway. An AC power tap always goes along for the ride.

So now I need your advice for a starting point for further research for me to do. G751 or G771?

Hi Banshee,
I think what you are looking for would be the Asus G751JY-DH72X (see Link below).
This model has the faster, and has more graphic memory (4 GB of GDDR5) GTX-980M graphics card.
For your needs this would be the best option for you my friend.

ASUS ROG G751JY-DH72X / Intel Core i7 4860HQ (2.40GHz) 32GB Memory / 1TB HDD / 512 GB SSD (PCIEG2)...

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"