cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX everything freezing.

Retired
Not applicable
Sometimes when I put my laptop to sleep (or just shut the lid) and resume it, windows.exe freezes and I can't move or do anything but move the mouse. It then eventually freezes...

Sometimes out of nowhere, when I'm surfing or streaming or anything, firefox and/or google chrome freezes.... It just states that it's "Not responding"... the laptop did not come with WebStorage so it can't be causing the issue... I don't know what else to do!
8 REPLIES 8

Retired
Not applicable
And in turn, i normally have to force shut down by holding the power button 😞

Retired
Not applicable
i have found that steam can cause problems with this so manually exit out of it before turning your laptop off, you MIGHT also have the random freezing problem caused by Creative audio driers and select programs

Also, internet browsers can sometimes freeze up when trying to load websites, you may want to check your connection speeds

dstrakele
Level 14
Do you see anything in the Critical, Errors, and Warnings in the "Summary of Administrative Events" in Event Viewer that may point in a troubleshooting direction (i.e either hardware or software)?

What Antivirus, Malware, and Firewall software are you running?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the quick reply guys, really appreciative of it!

First of all, yes I have checked the event viewer... and the only "Error" I get is "unexpected shut down" of the system.

I also get random application hangs... e.g:

"The program wmplayer.exe version 12.0.7601.17514 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 1154
Start Time: 01cca1deb86bc1ee
Termination Time: 171
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe"

AND

"The program firefox.exe version 8.0.0.4325 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 1fe0
Start Time: 01cca1b6a41b91bb
Termination Time: 16
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

I've also uninstalled Trend Micro Security... and no I don't have steam but do have Origin... I've heard about the browser issues, which is why I switched from google to firefox and still getting freezes... I'll try the sound driver for now 😛

JRd1st
Level 12
Please read this and if applicable do it - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
still getting issues disabling the audio drivers... And no I don't have atheros driver.. But I have the Intel Centrino WiMax.. Will try to update that and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help!

JRd1st
Level 12
Skype is famous for giving sleeping notebooks nightmares from which they never awake.

Also, uninstall everything audio (drivers, Creative junk if you have any),and install only the newest audio driver Realtek, I assume. You can get it here http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

dstrakele
Level 14
What Antivirus (now that you've uninstalled Trend Micro), Malware, and Firewall software are you running?

What 3rd Party apps have you installed to your system?

Have you tried a restore to an earlier time when you did not experience these issues (or did they occur right out of the box)?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT