cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CPU overclock... Need Advice if possible.....

Radeson
Level 7
I had a few bluescreens when i tried 4.6 (followed guide 100 strap x44, then x45, then x46) it passed realbench stresstest @x44, and x45 and i messed around a little. As soon as i tried 46 it wouldn't let me into windows w/o a bluescreen. HUH. I mustve got an "average sample. Oh yeah, c-states is disabled and the v-core is 1.300000.

Any advice???
15 REPLIES 15

Radeson
Level 7
So i am an idiot (i think)

i set v-core to 'auto' and strap to 100 x46 and booted to windows. When i got in my v-core reading from aisuite was 1.47 ??

Do you think i did any harm??? I immediately shut down and the temps never went over 42....

Iguess i need a lot of guidance (cringe)

Chino
Level 15
No harm done. 1.47V for a few seconds won't degrade or damage your chip. But running it for prolonged periods is another story lol.

Leaving vcore at Auto will make the motherboard automatically scale the voltage to meet the CPU frequency.

Radeson
Level 7
I am really frusttrated as it seems i might have gotten a less that average chip for 1000 dollars. I did get it to boot to desktop at 4.6 but it kept bluesceening. Any advice??

Radeson wrote:
I am really frusttrated as it seems i might have gotten a less that average chip for 1000 dollars. I did get it to boot to desktop at 4.6 but it kept bluesceening. Any advice??

Are you setting LLC and CPU INPUT try setting CPU INPUT to 1.9v and setting LLC to LV6 this is what i run for my overclock.

Radeson wrote:

Hello

LOL. 4.6GHz is a couple of hundred MHz past what an average chip can do. Need to rein in expectations to reality.

Praz wrote:
Hello

LOL. 4.6GHz is a couple of hundred MHz past what an average chip can do. Need to rein in expectations to reality.

LOL I guess i need standards on reality. I was basing my frustrations on another post I read. I guess i cant trust everything i read on here.

Radeson wrote:

If you plot the frequency and the voltage needed to achieve stability at that frequency on a cartesian plane, you can have a better idea of how your CPU scales. Then you can find your sweet spot.

AdamC
Level 10
With what cooling? And what temp you got under load? Unless you custom water, 4.5 is already very good.

Radeson
Level 7
Hello,
Sorry i havent gotten around to updating my system specs yet.
I have: I7 5960x | ASUS Rampage V Extreme | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800 Mhz | 4x Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Reference | Corsair AX1500i | 4x Samsung 850 pro SSD | 1x Seagate 1tb HDD | Custom water loop through 3 of the 4 GPU's | H100i CPU water cooler

Right now I have the XMP proflile set to 2800mhz and the v-core to 1.275 and multiplier @34 with strap at 127.3 (xmp default)
For some reason when i look at open hardware monitor's reading of core speed it differs drastically from task mngr and the Realbench reading before the benchmark. So what is my actual CPU speed see screenshot here: