cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Ranger VII getting Q-code 00 multiple times!

Roonie
Level 7
Hey,
so I just biult my first gaming rig. Basically I got it all going within one day (got a Q-code 00 because of oudatet firmware).
Started the whole thing up and after 3 hours is suddenly shut down...

When I startet it again it showed a Q-code 00. So I picked the whole rig apart and tried starting it with just Mobo/CPU/PSU/1 RAM outisde the case -> all wen fine it started up again and I put it together again. -> all works fine

20 Mins later same things happens -> this time I remove an obsolete case standoff -> start it up -> works fine

Next day I want to start the Desktop -> Q-code 00
This time I start picking it apart starting with the my after market CPU Cooler ( Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. B)
and try to start again -> all works fine (haven't started it yet again as not to damage something..)

P.s. everytime I get the Q-code 00 the CPU Led on the mobo blinks. I have tried it with 2 different heat pastes and none has gotten anywhere than the top of the CPU. Also I didn't screw on the Cooler extra tight, just so it won't move.

Please help me find out what's causing the problem, since I ordered my Mobo/CPU/Cooler over Amazon I can't just go somewhere and let them test the components? Could it also be a faulty PSU, how can I check.

Thanks in advance!

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 4790k
Mobo: Asus Rog Maximus VII (already upadated firmware)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0
SSD: Crucial M550 256GB
Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY black DDR3-1866 16gb (x2)
Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. B
PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 600W ATX 2.4
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 800
6 REPLIES 6

DeanZ
Level 7
I had the same problem with Q CODE 00 on my Maximus VII Hero, at firs after few restarts it worked. But last week again Q CODE 00 and from then on there was no way of making it work. At first i suspected the MOBO , but after a few investigations i realised that my i5 4460 died.

Roonie
Level 7
Did it start again although it eventually died? Because mine will start I just don't have a clue what's causing it to fail?

S1dux
Level 7
Had the same "problem" with Impact. Reconnected all cables and sometime it was booting but other times it just displayed the 00 code.
This usually means that the CPU is not recognised.
After reading through the manual (and by all emans it is a must to do this), I noticed that the LN2 switch was activated. This should only be activated when you start the system at very low temperatures. If it is activated with normal coolers or AIO's, it tends to not properly recognise the CPU.

Another aspect is that this motherboard is picky with how you connect the cables. So please check the wiring again for any not perfect cabling or even places on the motherboard that gets in contact with metal (which may cause short ciruit).

Roonie
Level 7
Thx for the quick answers.
Since I again read through my manual and if I,m Not mistaken my maximus ranger has no l2n switch.....
I reconnected and realigned the cables 3 times now and no change. The only thingh I could think of is that the sleeve of the 8pin CPU slightly rests on top of my cooler.
Could you guess if the cooler could be the Problem? Or should I just test if the Mobo/CPU will fail without mounting the cooler? (could this be dangerous for My CPU)

Sorry if I seem a bit unorganized. Just started learning about this stuff 2 weeks ago 🙂

Roonie
Level 7
bump

Roonie
Level 7
bump