cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Ares Questions

rocknroll237
Level 7
[Sorry for posting this here, but I wasn't getting any replies in the other section of the Forum]

Hi guys,

I've had the Ares for quite a while now and I wanted to ask a few questions.

1) Will the Ares get any new official drivers?

2) Will the Asus drivers from a different card work with the Ares? (example)

3) Will updating the Bios to the latest version allow me to use the standard ATI drivers (at the moment, the ATI drivers are causing problems).

4) Will it be possible to replace the fan on the Ares for something quieter?

5) During safe mode/bsods/when a gpu driver hasn't loaded, the fan gets louder. Is this ok? Also, will the voltages jump around?

Thanks,

Cam.
4 REPLIES 4

JRd1st
Level 12
1. Nothing on Asus seems to get new drivers on their support site. Look here http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers
2. Most drivers can be downloaded from the manufacturer of the device. Only BIOS and ATK, and the kbfilter HAVE to come from ASUS
3. Not an ATI person
4. DONT KNOW, probably... http://www.laptopcpufan.com/
5. I don't think that's a problem.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Thanks for the reply.

Will the Asus drivers from another ATI card like a 6970 (link) work with the Ares?

Whenever I install drivers (either the latest from the ATI website or the older ones from the Asus website), Windows keeps on installing 5900 drivers a few days later. IT'S SO GOD DAMN ANNOYING!

I've disabled Windows Update, told Windows NOT to install default drivers and yet it still does it. :mad:

Can't we get a petition going or something and tell Asus and Windows to sort it out?

The Ares is very expensive and driver issues like this are unacceptable.

grungeboy2
Level 10
just grab the nvidia drivers. asus doesn't do much beyond one driver to make it work.

edit: or the ATI ones.

Yeah, I'll do that. The main reason I was drawn to using the Asus drivers was because whenever I installed the latest ATI ones, Windows installed 5900 drivers by default which screwed everything up.

It turns out that the same happens to the Asus drivers...

I wish Windows would stop installing the 5900 drivers by default. It's so annoying. I've started a post over at Tom's Hardware (link).