cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to overclock/boost CPU _Maximus Vi Hero

DrHannibal
Level 7
Hello i hope this is the correct thread.
I have a maximus VI Hero with an I5 4670K and I've been trying to use AI suite 3 to increase the CPU strap's but every time it fails.
Also I've tried to tweak some values through bios but still fails.
I should also add that when I was building my system I've bend a pin on the socket that I've manage to straighten up again. Which basically comes to my question.
Is it possible that the bend pin is causing this or as I've heard there are some cases that even with an open CPU you simply can't overclock it?
2 REPLIES 2

MeanMachine
Level 13
DrHannibal wrote:
I have a maximus VI Hero with an I5 4670K and I've been trying to use AI suite 3 to increase the CPU strap's but every time it fails.
I should also add that when I was building my system I've bend a pin on the socket that I've manage to straighten up again. Which basically comes to my question.
Is it possible that the bend pin is causing this or as I've heard there are some cases that even with an open CPU you simply can't overclock it?

Hi DrHannibal and I suppose a bent pin could cause your problem, however try these things first.

Only OC from within Bios and get to know your Bios. Uninstall AISuite. It is unreliable with some setups. You can reinstal later, if you wish.
Clear your CMOS and start again at defaults, Run a stress test to establish stability at stock frequency, whilst monitoring temps.
Many have successfully OC that chip, so you should have no problems.
If you have problems with stress testing at stock, list them eg: Qcode readout if refusing to post, temps getting high under load etc.

Check out this guide: http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell/
Are your Kingston HyperX DIMMs as a single kit?
What is your PSU?

Don't eat me if things go belly up? 😛

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

skyler_jacobs
Level 7
DrHannibal wrote:

Most i5-4670k and i7-4770k are known to overclock to at the least 4.2 Ghz.

It is very possible that the bent pin is causing this problem. I had an MSI motherboard that i received as a replacemenet from an RMA due to a faulty board (i actually went through 3 faulty MSI Z87 GD-65, before i finally said forget this and bought a Maximus VII Formula). The replacement was one that had a bent pin, and got "repaired" after being RMA. Upon trying to overclock my i7-4770k, everything failed. Any Bios change at all would cause the computer to hard reboot, and restart with stock settings again.