cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ROG G20AJ-B07 issues with NVidia Card Help Me please

Ivancunningham
Level 7
I just purchased a New ROG G20AJ-B07 from Best Buy and I am having issues already with the Nvidia Card, I am not sure if this is a known issue or not. seems Asus, Geek Squad, or NVidia Can help. so maybe someone here can help me out. I plug my HDMI into the NVidia Card, I get a blank Screen, I plug it into the embedded Intel 4600 and works no problems. I go into device manager, only thing showing under display adapter is the embedded Intel 4600,under the sound, video and game controllers it does have NVidia Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible)(WDM). I updated to the new bios even though it still said 9/2014 still nothing. I tried running the new driver software from NVidia 347.52-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql. I get NVidia installer cannot continue, this graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware. I could not get any type of fix on how to get the NVidia Video Driver to work, I was hoping someone else come across this and has a fix on correcting this so I don't have to take it back. I hate to take such a nice machine back. If you can Help, I would appreciate it.
20 REPLIES 20

toronto699
Level 13

vyannisv
Level 7
Hello everbody.

I really need your help. I have exactly the same problem as Ivancunningham.

I bought earlier this week this new ASUS ROG G20AJ-FR028S to the FNAC : http://www.fnac.com/Unite-Centrale-Asus-G20AJ-FR028S/a7941890/w-4

Apparently the NVidia card is not recognized by the BIOS and by Windows that displays only the

Intel 4600 card in the device manager.
Here is a screenshot of the device manager: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/717247gestion.png

I tried as Ivan Cunningham to plug the HDMI on the NVidia card but there is no signal on the

screen. I even try with DVI, but it is the same.

Would the card is not connected to the motherboard ?
I have not vied to dismantle the tower to check because I would lose the guarantee.

Or could it be a power problem of the card ? An exchange of the power supply would be needed?

Since this is a GTX 980 is the power supply can not be adapted this one.
Here is a picture block provided for the Nvidia card: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/364557IMG0673.jpg

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sorry for my bad english.

@vyannisv: Did your computer come with 2 power supplies or 1? I'm not sure because we don't have that configuration here in the US, but ours comes with 2 power supplies like in this picture: http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ROG-G20_KBM_L.jpg

You're lucky in France to get the GTX 980, I wish we had that here.

vyannisv

Sorry to hear of your issue, particularly sad since you have a 980. Here in the USA i got two DOA Nvidia cards in a row before I got one that worked. I bought at a store that has a 30 day replacement policy. If I can think of a possible solution for you I'll post it since I think I tried everything with ASUS and Nvidia support, but I fear your gonna have to return to ASUS for them to fix. Don't know anything about the return policy of where you got yours. I feel your pain 😞

Do you have your power setting on High?

Weird you are getting Intel GPU from the HDMI port on your GTX. Hate to say it but I think you def are going to have to send it to ASUS. Online support will give you a return number. A shame, That is such an awesome machine.

icwhatudidthere
Level 9
With the computer turned off (completely off, not asleep), plug the monitor into the NVidia HDMI port. Turn on the computer and post your results here.

Separately, in Windows, find a program called VirtuWatt. You should probably have an icon in the notification area of the taskbar that looks like a hexagon. Open that UI and try to turn it off or disable it. There should be a power button in the app, click on that until it indicates the GPU is active.

VirtuWatt tries to powerdown the GPU to save power but most people here have found that it introduces so many problems that it makes the system unstable. I've uninstalled it completely and my problems have gone away.

hori
Level 7
that right you cannot hot swap between video cards, the computer has to be shutdown, change the hdmi port then restart.

vyannisv
Level 7
Hi icwhatudidthere and hori, thank you for answered me quickly.

I have completely turned off the computer, plug the monitor into the NVidia HDMI port and Turn on the computer -> The monitor stay black. I plug the monitor into the intel card HDMI port and the monitor works.

Conclusion -> It is always the intel card that is chosen.

In the BIOS I changed the option "Graphics Configuration" -> "Primary Display" -> "Auto" to "PCIE"
but it has no effect, intel card is chosen again.

Here are some screenshots of my bios :
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=465644IMG0674.jpg
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=966585IMG0675.jpg
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=391634IMG0676.jpg

I find it strange that there is no reference to the Nvidia card in the BIOS, just for the Intel card. It's as if the system does not know that there is a NVidia card.

Yes, I have 2 power supplies. I tested the power supply of the nvidia card on my laptop and it works.

Moreover, I can't find the VirtuWatt program. I search it in windows explorer but it found nothing.

And in the AEGIS program, I have just 4 options like this screen : http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=958705asusaegis.png

For me the nvidia card is not connected because it appears nowhere, it's as if it does not exist.

Is there a software to know means if the card is known?

Yes we are lucky in France for the GTX 980 but for the moment I can't use it 😞

Thanks for your help.

GoHack
Level 8
Ivancunningham wrote:
I just purchased a New ROG G20AJ-B07 from Best Buy and I am having issues already with the Nvidia Card, I am not sure if this is a known issue or not. seems Asus, Geek Squad, or NVidia Can help. so maybe someone here can help me out. I plug my HDMI into the NVidia Card, I get a blank Screen, I plug it into the embedded Intel 4600 and works no problems. I go into device manager, only thing showing under display adapter is the embedded Intel 4600,under the sound, video and game controllers it does have NVidia Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible)(WDM). I updated to the new bios even though it still said 9/2014 still nothing. I tried running the new driver software from NVidia 347.52-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql. I get NVidia installer cannot continue, this graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware. I could not get any type of fix on how to get the NVidia Video Driver to work, I was hoping someone else come across this and has a fix on correcting this so I don't have to take it back. I hate to take such a nice machine back. If you can Help, I would appreciate it.

Go into the BIOS, and under:

Advanced\System Agent Configuration\Graphics Configuration

You have a choice of AUTO, CPU GRAPHICS, and PCIE. The CPU GRAPHICS, allows only the graphics built into the CPU to be used. The PCIE, only the External video Card, or the Nvidia one. The AUTO, both graphics are active.

Make sure that it is set for AUTO right now, SAVE, and EXIT the BIOS. Reason, just in case the driver for the Nvidia card isn't installed, you will still have the CPU Graphics.

Boot into Windows, right click on the Window's Screen, and you should see the Nvidia Control Panel shown, which means your card is working w/the drivers loaded. If you do not see the Nvidia Control Panel, check the Device Manager to see if the card is now shown, and if it is, either go through Window's Update, or go to the Nvidia website to download and install the drivers. Once done, follow the directions, and Reboot. Once again in Window's, right click on the Window's screen to check for the Nvidia Control Panel is now installed. If so, shut down the system, and attach your monitor to the Nvidia video card, and turn the system back on. This should work.

If all this doesn't work, then there may be a problem w/the card.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

Make sure you disabled eco mode in bios, if enabled it always choose the intel gpu.