cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed CSM Settings and now I CANT GET WINDOWS TO BOOT hElp!!!!!

Radeson
Level 7
HELLO,

I am kind of new at uefi booting (obviously) I hope I didnt just screw up my windows. I just installed uefi the other day. Well, I just tried to disable csm to get faster boot times. Now it just gets stuck at this black screen after post that says:

>>checking media presence......
>>Start PXE over IPv4

there is Q code Ad displayed

Please tell me i didnt just brick my windows???!!!
8 REPLIES 8

Radeson
Level 7
ps This happened when i tried changing it back..... I just want to boot into windows dang it.!!! no more problems!!!

Saltgrass
Level 13
Since this is your first UEFI install, you might want to attach your Disk Management picture so we can check your configuration.

But you should be able to disable the CSM since you are running Windows 8.1 x64, assuming any other PCIe devices have UEFI OpRoms, such as the Video card.

If it won't boot, set the CSM back to enabled. From the message you got, I would guess the system is not seeing the Windows 8.1 UEFI Windows Boot Manager for some reason.

The CSM setting on my X99 board can be problematic. Unless the last Bios update fixed it, some of those options may not work as designed for non Secure Boot capable OSes.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

now 79 hangs forever in post also. whats up with that... This is starting to scare me...this kind of stuff was happening when my last board bricked. Im seriously thinking about throwing this thing out the window

OK

WOW!!!!

I just got it to finally boot to UEFI DVDROM windows boot disk and i tried the repair start-up problems option.

IT WORKS.. I had to slap myself to see if i actually FIXED a problem with this set up. It seems i have had nothing but unfixable problems. I think this is a turn around. Sorry everybody, I think i had to figure that one out on my own. I cant believe it was that easy. If only the stupid thing wouldve let me boot to disk right away....

Radeson
Level 7
I did try setting it back to normal. this is what happened when i did. WHen i tried to disable it the whole post my screen didnt light up and the post was very long and then it said that it couldnt detect my video card. then it sent me back to BIOS. then I went to try to re enable csm and it was already enabled. AHHHHHHHH I could rip my hair out. I cant get it to boot no matter what i do. When i put in the windows istall disk with the uefi dvd rom option it wont let me in. it says press any key to boot from cd and the dots ...... keep ticking while i press every key on the da*n keyboard. then im back in biars. I tried selecting the regular dvd option and finally got in. but if i remember that took me acouple of tries also....

graphic
Level 11
hey Radeson, I'm sorry to hear the troubles you are having, I think windows 8.1 sucks bad in
the sense that when it fails to boot it automatically goes into this auto repair crap and then just screws
it. With overclocking and bios tweaking i find myself stuck in the endless re-boot cycle for a while, try different
things like set bios back to default settings, tweak memory clocks and frequency etc... Don't give up that easy.
If you successfully loaded the OS previously, your hard should be ok, I would think?
goog luck

small edit , you posted while I was posting, great work, congrats, enjoy

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Any changes made to the CSM values will request a reinstall of windows , Try loading defaults then set "boot UEFI devices 1st" then try booting into windows .

If your BIOS is hanging on q-code 79 for a long amount of time your BIOS has had a bad flash you will need to recover the bad sector, try using the 2nd BIOS chip.

Radeson
Level 7
Windows Boot Disk fixed the problem with startup repair. Cant belive it either..
I'm officially in windows now.

BUT.... Now one of the 3 disks in my RAID 0 array is kicked out of the array. I knew it was f'ed when windows didnt recognize it. So i said screw it and did a secure erase on all 3, and re-established the RAID. I only had it going for a few days anyways. I just have to set the steam and origin to download for like 24 hours again no biggie.... RIGHT... OK im a little pissed. That is the second time i lost my raid on the RVE. Im so glad i couldnt get windows to install initially on the 4 way raid and i just used one of my 4 samsung 850's as a boot disk. A LITTLE less risky apparently...