cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Problem since BIOS 1001: CPU Fan

Grestorn
Level 8
I'm currently using BIOS 1103, which in many respects seem to be more stable than 0803 or other previous BIOS versions.

However, since version 1001 (and including 1103) I've got the problem that the system regularly (not always) fails to boot with the error message "CPU fan". After that I have to go to the setup and select "Save and exit" to continue booting.

This never happend with 0803 or any other previous BIOS versions!

My system is watercooled and the CPU fan signal is provided by the water cooling system. It shows a constant rate of more than 3400 rpm, as can be seen on this screenshot:

It doesn't really matter what I set in the CPU Fan settings. Currently I'm using this setting:

But even if I turn the CPU Fan control off completely, the error still comes up.

This problem made me check if the BIOS is really monitoring the CPU fan properly. For that I simulated a panic situation in the water cooling system, which made it turn off the CPU fan signal. I can see that the CPU fan speed is indeed shown as 0 in AIDA64.

However, the system continues to run!
I'd expext the BIOS to shut down the system immediately in such a situation! But nothing of that kind is happening.

Note that I haven't installed the AI suite fan control service and I don't intend to install it as I see no reason to. The BIOS control of the fans is quite sufficient for me. But it should protect the system reliably!
Intel 12900K - Asus Maximus z690 Formula - 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR5 6000/36 - PNY RTX 3090
Acer Predator x27 - Thermaltake Core P5 - Corsair HX850i
-> Bilder und weitere Details <-
6 REPLIES 6

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Under Q-Fan settings for your CPU fan set Speed Low Limit to 300RPM your pump mite have a delayed so the your BIOS isn't reading a high enough speed.

Grestorn
Level 8
I've been using 300 (since it's the default). The valuje of 600 was just a test - it just doesn't make any difference.

I'm afraid that the frequency is actually to high. 3400 RPM is a bit unusual. Unfortunately, I cannot tune the frequency used by Aquaero.

Since the problem started with BIOS 1001, I'm pretty sure that it can also be solved in the BIOS. I just hope that the correct people learn of this problem!

And the other issue, that the system doesn't react on a failed CPU fan? Isn't the system supposed to shut down if the CPU fan stops working?
Intel 12900K - Asus Maximus z690 Formula - 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR5 6000/36 - PNY RTX 3090

Grestorn wrote:
I've been using 300 (since it's the default). The valuje of 600 was just a test - it just doesn't make any difference.

I'm afraid that the frequency is actually to high. 3400 RPM is a bit unusual. Unfortunately, I cannot tune the frequency used by Aquaero.

Since the problem started with BIOS 1001, I'm pretty sure that it can also be solved in the BIOS. I just hope that the correct people learn of this problem!

And the other issue, that the system doesn't react on a failed CPU fan? Isn't the system supposed to shut down if the CPU fan stops working?

Thats actually low for a pump mine runs at 5000RPM and my bios reads it just fine on every boot, Your system will shutdown but only if your CPU gets to the point where it to hot, These boards are used for all types of Overclocking most extreme not having a fan at all running, You can ether turn off the CPU fan monitoring or try to trouble shoot your problem more.

mdzcpa
Level 12
Set the CPU fan to "Ignore"

Use the secondary CPU fan header to report RPMs of your fan or pump.

Grestorn
Level 8
Even setting the CPU fan to "ignore" doesn't get rid of the error. Which is really curious, isn't it?

It's becoming a real nuissance, since it's now the third potential reason the system startup might fail:

a) CPU Fan error, b) QC b1 and c) the failure to start Win 8.1 (hang right before the spinner appears) which seems to be USB related.

I'm really sorry, because I like to love this product for what it is - an enthusiast piece of hardware with a bleeding edge configuration, and I'm willing to accept that I have to put more work into it to get it to work perfectly, but this is no longer fun. I've been trying to get it to boot reliably since last October, when I built the system.

I'm seriously considering to replace the board now, as much as I hate to dismantle everything once again. 😞