cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with turning on brand new G751JT-CH71 laptop

illshizzle
Level 7
So i just bought a new G751JT-CH71 and when i got it out of the box i turned it on after i had it plugged in to the wall. it turned on and had me start setting up windows 8 then it turned off and pressing the power button wouldnt turn it on. i gave it a couple of hours to charge and it turned on fine, everythings okay right? i leave it on at night to download my steam library and i make sure to change the setting to keep it from sleeping while plugged in and i go to sleep. I wake up this morning to find it off and everytime i press the power button the keyboard lights up and the fan whirls for ten seconds and then it turns off again, the screen stays dim the whole time. Has anyone encountered this issue because i would really not have to use my warranty on the first day, one because its not a good look and two because i dont feel like waiting for a while to get it fixed i just really want to play my games and thats it.
thanks
12 REPLIES 12

illshizzle wrote:
So i just bought a new G751JT-CH71 and when i got it out of the box i turned it on after i had it plugged in to the wall. it turned on and had me start setting up windows 8 then it turned off and pressing the power button wouldnt turn it on. i gave it a couple of hours to charge and it turned on fine, everythings okay right? i leave it on at night to download my steam library and i make sure to change the setting to keep it from sleeping while plugged in and i go to sleep. I wake up this morning to find it off and everytime i press the power button the keyboard lights up and the fan whirls for ten seconds and then it turns off again, the screen stays dim the whole time. Has anyone encountered this issue because i would really not have to use my warranty on the first day, one because its not a good look and two because i dont feel like waiting for a while to get it fixed i just really want to play my games and thats it.
thanks

Qosmio wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54487-G751-help-black-screen-after-powering-on

illshizzle, I think you can skip reading all of that, and just return it to where you bought it.

You don't need to use your warranty - RAM to Asus takes 1 -2 weeks or more, instead use the seller return period - tell the seller you had problems right out of the box - it wouldn't start and has been unreliable - and is now not powering up again.

You should have a return period of 7 to 30 days, or more - check with your seller - you return it and they give you a new one - or refund your money if they don't have another one in stock, and you buy it somewhere else.

It know it sucks, it's disappointing that you have to deal with this before enjoying your final working stable laptop, but there is nothing you can do to fix it, and you should demand a stable working laptop out of the box, don't settle for a futzy unreliable unit.

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

so i sent it back to asus, they told me 5-7 business day turn around, shipping from where i am to their repair station is gonna take until next friday so im looking at a 3-4 time span until they get it back. I also had to pay 30 dollars for shipping. Will asus reimburse me for the fee. Would it have been better to send it back to where i purchased it from at newegg which is located in new jersey. im in north carolina btw. This is just a huge hassle and is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

illshizzle wrote:
so i sent it back to asus, they told me 5-7 business day turn around, shipping from where i am to their repair station is gonna take until next friday so im looking at a 3-4 time span until they get it back. I also had to pay 30 dollars for shipping. Will asus reimburse me for the fee. Would it have been better to send it back to where i purchased it from at newegg which is located in new jersey. im in north carolina btw. This is just a huge hassle and is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

illshizzle, actually if I got a G751 that had this problem, but everything else was ok - the fit and finish were nice - the IPS screen didn't have bad bleed - and the only thing wrong was this power issue, I think I might also do RMA instead of returning to the seller.

With the G751 there have been lots of production startup issues with fit and finish, so if everything else is fine, why return it and maybe get one with other problems, instead send it in to Asus for repair and get a perfect G751 out of it after all 🙂

hmscott wrote:
illshizzle, I think you can skip reading all of that, and just return it to where you bought it.

You don't need to use your warranty - RAM to Asus takes 1 -2 weeks or more, instead use the seller return period - tell the seller you had problems right out of the box - it wouldn't start and has been unreliable - and is now not powering up again.

You should have a return period of 7 to 30 days, or more - check with your seller - you return it and they give you a new one - or refund your money if they don't have another one in stock, and you buy it somewhere else.

It know it sucks, it's disappointing that you have to deal with this before enjoying your final working stable laptop, but there is nothing you can do to fix it, and you should demand a stable working laptop out of the box, don't settle for a futzy unreliable unit.

illshizzle wrote:

So you buy a new laptop then send it for repair and have to wait for 15 days (yes 7 business days is 15 days minimum wait). I would never accept such a thing and would have returned it where I bought it right away
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7-4900MQ CPU @ 3.8 GHz (8MB Cache)
Graphics: Dual GeForce GTX 780M SLI 2x4 GB GDDR5 RAM
Sound: Realtek ALC668 HD Audio with Klipsch Speakers
Memory: 32 GB Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 RAM
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD + Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB mSATA SSD
Screen: Samsung LTM184HL01 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display PLS 16:9 1080p [SDC4C48]

pokerface wrote:
So you buy a new laptop then send it for repair and have to wait for 15 days (yes 7 business days is 15 days minimum wait). I would never accept such a thing and would have returned it where I bought it right away

i bought it from newegg so i would have to ship it somewhere regardless should i cancel the shipping and send it to newegg

illshizzle wrote:
i bought it from newegg so i would have to ship it somewhere regardless should i cancel the shipping and send it to newegg

To be honest, I would have first tried to reset the laptop and see if it will power up again. This would have taken 10secs of pressing down the power button... You were such in a rush that you didn't even wait for our responses. Oh well, if it's already shipped then you could just leave it like that and wait for the guys to repair it. But you could have tried to e-mail Newegg and tell them that they have shipped you a DOA product and ask them for a replace right away. They might have sended you a replace once they had the confirmation that you shipped the DOA product to them. This would have meant that you could have gotten a new laptop in less than a week.

PS: This is just what I have seen at other people. I have never ordered anything from Newegg so I don't really know how things are going over there.

NitroX wrote:
To be honest, I would have first tried to reset the laptop and see if it will power up again. This would have taken 10secs of pressing down the power button... You were such in a rush that you didn't even wait for our responses. Oh well, if it's already shipped then you could just leave it like that and wait for the guys to repair it. But you could have tried to e-mail Newegg and tell them that they have shipped you a DOA product and ask them for a replace right away. They might have sended you a replace once they had the confirmation that you shipped the DOA product to them. This would have meant that you could have gotten a new laptop in less than a week.

PS: This is just what I have seen at other people. I have never ordered anything from Newegg so I don't really know how things are going over there.

NitroX, the black screen no power up problem seems to get worse over time, the reset may/may not have worked, but getting a new one is a good idea - might as well start with one that doesn't do it at all.

Newegg requires getting the laptop in for inspection before crediting you the $ for it; you could buy another one for them to ship, but I would wait for them to intake the failed laptop and make sure I was getting refunded first before ending up with 2 laptops 🙂

These days I prefer going in in person and inspecting the laptop at the store before taking it home. So far all the Asus laptops I have bought and inspected before taking them home have been problem free, but if I run into a dud I want to pull another new one right then and there, and not wait for shipping delays.

Most brick and mortar stores these days will price match online pricing - within reason - so far I have gotten prices close enough to make it a wash - no real savings by buying mail order.

I know there are many people that don't have a store close by that carries Asus, but if you do some digging you might find one close enough to drive to. Nothing like being able to pick up and return items the same day instead of waiting for shipping turn around.