Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Thinking of buying a G20 - scared now

Hi folks,

Been a long time since I was here. I have my ASUS G74sx laptop and its time to go back to a desktop. I had looked locally and saw the G20 at BestBuy and thought it really slick looking. Read some reviews, looked ok. Then I came here. Based on the 10 threads I just read I am very leary to buy one of these. The price tag at BB was nice, $1300 with 16gb of ram and 2tb drive. I will ask this though:

Should I buy one? Seems like nothing buy problems in these forums.

If not, what would folks recommend at that price point?

Thanks!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Regardless of all the problems i have had with the G20aj, it is a solid gaming rig.

ROG Enthusiast Array

mines been rock solid at gaming, the quirks are fewer for me lately with updates. The small tower is perfect and extremely quiet.

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking of getting the bestbuy one and went and checked it out tonight. Looks awesome. Salesguy said the 2tb disk was one drive so I would be able to put my SSD in it. Is there bloatware on it as bad as there was on my laptop?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by thalador View Post
    Is there bloatware on it as bad as there was on my laptop?
    Yes, there is an outrageous amount of bloatware. I got the version they ship in Europe/Germany, and it actually ran like crap with the factory installation. After you get rid of pretty much every single piece of that so-called "extra value" software, it is a nice system though. Probably a good idea to do that before any updating of windows or drivers, as many issues the system has are because of said bloatware.

ROG Member Array

Good to know. I noticed on the asus software page there isn't a whole lot for windows 7 for this system. I would rather poke my eyes out than use win8. If I downgrade, even a fresh install to win7, will I have issues?

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array toronto699 PC Specs
    toronto699 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752-VY-DH78K , G751-JYDH72X
    MotherboardRog Tytan G30AB
    Processori7-4770K
    Memory (part number)32GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus Gold20th GTX980Ti
    Sound CardDell X-Fi Audigy SoundBlaster
    Monitor3 Acer K272HL
    Storage #1118 GB/OS
    Storage #22.72 TB
    CPU CoolerIntegrated Liquid-Cooled CPU
    CaseG30AB
    Power SupplyAsus 700 Watt
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    Mouse Razer Diamond Back
    Headset Sony Studio Professional , Razer Seiren Mic
    Mouse Pad Razer FireFly
    Headset/Speakers Logittech 5.1 Z-5500
    OS W 10
    Network RouterSagemon Fast 5250 Hub 2000

your will have lots of issues with W7 finding drivers best to install Windows Classic Shell , u get the speed of W8 and the feel of W7
    http://classicshell.net/
    2nd option is to have W10 preview as a dual boot, I have no issues with W10 on 2 pc's and a G751 laptop. but be sure your G20 is working without problems if u decide to have W10 as dual boot , When released W10 will be a free upgrade for W8
    Last edited by toronto699; 02-22-2015 at 05:43 AM.

ROG Member Array

Can't beat it for the money and size. It's a solid gaming rig. Running Passmark some 2d tests actually just beat out a gtx980. It lags behind in the 3d tests, but not that far behind.
    Best wasnt too bad with the bloatware. ive seen alot worse..

ROG Member Array

Any other systems in this price range I should look at? The win8 thing really bugs me and if it wont run win7 well it could be a deal breaker

ROG Member Array

For the price and configuration of the i7 model it can't be beat, there is nothing else pre-made in this small form factor with these specs. I'm sure if you searched around for best prices you could build a mid or small case close to the g20's specs but you would be spending a few hundred more. Just a gtx980 alone is over 500$. add in case, mb, mem, Cpu, PSU, hd and dvd. Not to mention cooling and anything else you might want. well over 1500.

i got mine from bb for 1169$. i7 4790, gtx760, 16g ram, 2tb hd with dvd-rw. not to mention the other stuff. wifi, blutooth, intel onboard graphics, usb 3.0, sound, etc. i only got it for that price because newegg had the same one for 1169 and they had to match it.

I'll keep the 760 in it for a while and when I'm ready I'll throw in a 980 and some ssd's.

I can't see why you would have problems with windows 7. I have been using win 7 on my laptop for over 3 years without any issues. never had an issue with drivers, running games, peripherals or any software.
    Last edited by Sick_G20; 02-24-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast