cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of buying a G20 - scared now

thalador
Level 7
Hi folks,

Been a long time since I was here. I have my ASUS G74sx laptop and its time to go back to a desktop. I had looked locally and saw the G20 at BestBuy and thought it really slick looking. Read some reviews, looked ok. Then I came here. Based on the 10 threads I just read I am very leary to buy one of these. The price tag at BB was nice, $1300 with 16gb of ram and 2tb drive. I will ask this though:

Should I buy one? Seems like nothing buy problems in these forums.

If not, what would folks recommend at that price point?

Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

zhangyifu
Level 7
Regardless of all the problems i have had with the G20aj, it is a solid gaming rig.

hori
Level 7
mines been rock solid at gaming, the quirks are fewer for me lately with updates. The small tower is perfect and extremely quiet.

thalador
Level 7
Thanks for the replies. I am thinking of getting the bestbuy one and went and checked it out tonight. Looks awesome. Salesguy said the 2tb disk was one drive so I would be able to put my SSD in it. Is there bloatware on it as bad as there was on my laptop?

thalador wrote:
Is there bloatware on it as bad as there was on my laptop?

Yes, there is an outrageous amount of bloatware. I got the version they ship in Europe/Germany, and it actually ran like crap with the factory installation. After you get rid of pretty much every single piece of that so-called "extra value" software, it is a nice system though. Probably a good idea to do that before any updating of windows or drivers, as many issues the system has are because of said bloatware.

thalador
Level 7
Good to know. I noticed on the asus software page there isn't a whole lot for windows 7 for this system. I would rather poke my eyes out than use win8. If I downgrade, even a fresh install to win7, will I have issues?

toronto699
Level 13
your will have lots of issues with W7 finding drivers best to install Windows Classic Shell , u get the speed of W8 and the feel of W7
http://classicshell.net/
2nd option is to have W10 preview as a dual boot, I have no issues with W10 on 2 pc's and a G751 laptop. but be sure your G20 is working without problems if u decide to have W10 as dual boot , When released W10 will be a free upgrade for W8

toronto699 wrote:
your will have lots of issues with W7 finding drivers best to install Windows Classic Shell , u get the speed of W8 and the feel of W7

lol, I would argue that Win7 already has the feel of Win7 and it's faster than Win8. Win8 has faster startup/shutdown - no argument - but I usually startup and shutdown my computer only once (perhaps twice) each day, which doesn't add up to a whole lot of time savings. Win7 is definitely the less bloated of the two, and consequently tends to be faster in actual use. Win8's fancy GUI elements appear to do many things like file copies so much faster, but a stopwatch provides more telling results which consistently favour Win7.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Sick_G20
Level 7
Can't beat it for the money and size. It's a solid gaming rig. Running Passmark some 2d tests actually just beat out a gtx980. It lags behind in the 3d tests, but not that far behind.
Best wasnt too bad with the bloatware. ive seen alot worse..

thalador
Level 7
Any other systems in this price range I should look at? The win8 thing really bugs me and if it wont run win7 well it could be a deal breaker