cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get Windows 8.1 from HDD to SSD?

bloodruns4ever
Level 7
So I just ordered a new SSD for my ASUS G75VW so I will have my 250GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. My question is how can I get Windows 8.1 from my HDD onto my SSD? I know Windows 8 is a pain when it comes to getting it installed on other computers. Will I have to buy a completely new product key? Any help or guides would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

jowens1126
Level 7
install the windows 10 technical preview and wait for it to come out, then it will be a free upgrade.

jowens1126 wrote:
install the windows 10 technical preview and wait for it to come out, then it will be a free upgrade.

That's actually what I was thinking and what I will probably do because it will be the easiest way. Windows 8 is so annoying with how it is installed and such. I get that they want to reduce piracy but it just makes it so hard for cases like this.

you don't need to buy a product key for W8 its in the bios, but W10 preview is the way to go much easier and works well so far on my asus laptop as dual boot , and 2 other pc's
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-w... just something of intrest

toronto699 wrote:
you don't need to buy a product key for W8 its in the bios, but W10 preview is the way to go much easier and works well so far on my asus laptop as dual boot , and 2 other pc's
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-w... just something of intrest

Yeah windows 10 sounds like the route I'm going to take, seems like a much easier path.

toronto699
Level 13

Clintlgm
Level 14
You have two options. Macrium Reflect will image your hard drive or clone your hard drive to your new SSD. Just shrink your 1tb hard drive down to less than 256GB and clone.
You can clean install win 8.1 update with an ISO from MS here If you need a guide to Clean install see these =Installation%20and%20Setup"]threads on Clean Install. Unless your really switched on with unstable OS I would avoid Win 10 for while yet at least until the release it to the manufactures

If you set on installing window 10 see this forum dedicated to windows 10
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
You have two options. Macrium Reflect will image your hard drive or clone your hard drive to your new SSD. Just shrink your 1tb hard drive down to less than 256GB and clone.
You can clean install win 8.1 update with an ISO from MS here If you need a guide to Clean install see these =Installation%20and%20Setup"]threads on Clean Install. Unless your really switched on with unstable OS I would avoid Win 10 for while yet at least until the release it to the manufactures

If you set on installing window 10 see this forum dedicated to windows 10

Good news! My University's dreamspark account allows me to get Windows 8.1 with a product key for free! So I will just be doing that

srmojuze
Level 10
I've used Macrium Reflect before, nice software.