cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for 144Hz flickering on ROG Swift PG278Q with R9 290X

dougvj
Level 7
I noticed several people having the same problem with screen flickering on this monitor, as I had

I have 3x R9 290X in crossfire and 144Hz flickered to the point where it was unusable, but I found a workaround.

I used ToastyX's Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) to create a custom timing at 144Hz that eliminated the flickering for me. I dumped the timings from the EDID using Linux since the CRU doesn't recognize the extension block used in the Swift.

The timings for 144 Hz are the following according to the EDID:

Active: 2560
Front Porch: 4
Sync Width: 16
Back Porch: 2

Active: 1440
Front Porch: 1
Sync Width: 1
Back Porch: 7
Pixel Clock: 538.8 MHz

I added these into the CRU for the EDID override just to make sure they were correct, and they were. The monitor was doing the same strange flickering.

I then started to tweak the timings slightly and i noticed some improvement on the image when increasing the sync width and other things. For me, what eliminated all flickering was the following timings:

Horizontal:
Active: 2560
Front Porch: 8
Sync Width: 16
Back Porch: 16

Vertical:

Pixel Clock: 542.58 MHz

This has slightly more sync timings at the expensive of a higher Pixel Clock, but the monitor seems to handle it fine, and there is no more flicker @ 144Hz! I tested and there is no frame skip or any such thing, so the refresh rate appears correct.

Those of you who are having this problem try this out and see if it fixes it for you.
9 REPLIES 9

NapsterNZ
Level 7
Wow thanks very much. This has worked and no flickering.

Going to test some games 🙂

Thanks again.
i7 3930k @ 4.5GHZ - 1.38v H2O
G.Skill 2400Mhz CL10 16GB
2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - Raid 0
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
3x R9 290X 4GB CFX H2O
Corsair 900D Chassis
Silverstone Strider 1500 Watt
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q

eagle77
Level 7
Won't work for me, maximum settings for me is 85hz, a real shame tbh. Annoys me that I didn't check this out before I spent a lot of money on this monitor. 😞

Dirtydeedz
Level 7
dougvj wrote:

Vertical:

Pixel Clock: 542.58 MHz

! I tested and there is no frame skip or any such thing, so the refresh rate appears correct.
This has slightly more sync timings at the expensive of a higher Pixel Clock, but the monitor seems to handle it fine, and there is no more flicker @ 144Hz
Those of you who are having this problem try this out and see if it fixes it for you.

Can you make an Override of your settings using this utility and link it here using the "Advanced Editor" or email to me. I can you PM you my email address.

roadczar
Level 11
Works! Great job!
Please stickie.

LocutusEstBorg
Level 7
Can you post both the horizontal and vertical timings please?

survivor285257
Level 7
thank you it works for me 😄 THANK YOU

Did any of you upgrade to Windows 10? I did and now 144hz is not selectable. Any idea how to fix it?

roadczar wrote:
Did any of you upgrade to Windows 10? I did and now 144hz is not selectable. Any idea how to fix it?

Nothing to fix, it is selectable by just going to the advanced graphics properties:

Thanks, but I know how to set resolutions. This thread and my question was only for Radeon R9 290 users. After upgrading to Win 10 144hz is not listed in the list of listed resolutions.

Again, did others experience the same issue after upgrading to Win 10?

matrixleader wrote:
Nothing to fix, it is selectable by just going to the advanced graphics properties: