cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JM With Intermitent WiFi (Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter)

STEDMANA
Level 7
Does anyone here have images of where the WiFi adapter module is located in the G751JM, I have seen disassembly videos on you tube of the G750 but they are a variant design. I just purchased an (Intel-7260.HMWWB, Wireless Adapter, 867/300Mbps, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth) to replace the Dodgy one, was that a good idea ?.

The current WiFi adapter connects to the router with max reception but will only hold a data connection for a few minutes before saying there is limited connectivity, I have a netstat showing a few pings every now and then but terrible bandwidth and instability. A fresh restart and it works again for a while, disabling and enabling the device in Device manger and WiFi settings sometimes works too. I have the latest drivers, BIOS, and updates and the router has not reached its max wireless capacity.

Now the WiFi card in this works fine with some routers as far as I can remember although It's never had a chance to idle on one though up until now, right now the WiFi I HAVE to use is an older router, all the other devices stay connected all the time, and no one else has problems like me with it. I have read that the Intel chips are more reliable and flexible with older routers. I do not want to void the warranty either, but I also read that there are no warranty seals, if I can change the WiFi adapter in less than an hour I'd rathernot take it to a technician seeing as I could do it myself.

Ethernet is a last option, I am Boarding and don't want to tinker with their router either as it might not work for everyone. At the moment I am using my old GS2, Tethering its connection to the WiFi through to my laptop which is amazing, good old android. I'd much rather have a laptop with a decent WiFi adapter though.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for disassembly ?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

hmscott
Level 12
STEDMANA wrote:
Does anyone here have images of where the WiFi adapter module is located in the G751JM, I have seen disassembly videos on you tube of the G750 but they are a variant design. I just purchased an (Intel-7260.HMWWB, Wireless Adapter, 867/300Mbps, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth) to replace the Dodgy one, was that a good idea ?.

The current WiFi adapter connects to the router with max reception but will only hold a data connection for a few minutes before saying there is limited connectivity, I have a netstat showing a few pings every now and then but terrible bandwidth and instability. A fresh restart and it works again for a while, disabling and enabling the device in Device manger and WiFi settings sometimes works too. I have the latest drivers, BIOS, and updates and the router has not reached its max wireless capacity.

Now the WiFi card in this works fine with some routers as far as I can remember although It's never had a chance to idle on one though up until now, right now the WiFi I HAVE to use is an older router, all the other devices stay connected all the time, and no one else has problems like me with it. I have read that the Intel chips are more reliable and flexible with older routers. I do not want to void the warranty either, but I also read that there are no warranty seals, if I can change the WiFi adapter in less than an hour I'd rathernot take it to a technician seeing as I could do it myself.

Ethernet is a last option, I am Boarding and don't want to tinker with their router either as it might not work for everyone. At the moment I am using my old GS2, Tethering its connection to the WiFi through to my laptop which is amazing, good old android. I'd much rather have a laptop with a decent WiFi adapter though.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for disassembly ?

Thanks

STEDMANA, no matter what Wifi card you get, it may be incompatible with some routers/AP's. Most often an update to the latest driver will solve incompatibility - as well as can be. Asus does a good job of hiding the newest drivers. Asus stops updating a laptop's Download area with new drivers not long after release. The best places to find new drivers is to track what new products Asus releases that use the same hardware components. And, many use the same Wifi cards.

There are also central locations for some categories of hardware components, and there is one for WLAN cards:

Notebook WLAN drivers (no Intel)
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=WLAN&os=3

Qualcomm/Broadcom use a couple of different branches of similarly named drivers. Go to Programs and Features and look for the Wifi driver, and using the name and version number to match downloads, get the newest one you can find at Asus, install it, reboot, and also update the firmware on your Router/AP - go to the vendor site and download from there - onboard update tools on routers don't always find/download the latest available.

You also want to use WPA2/AES encryption for the fastest transfer - 802.11n requires it for greater than 54mb/s connections.

Also, enable WMM on router.

Given high density living and the growth of Wifi usage, you might be getting interference from other routers/AP's. Popular center channels for Wifi get overused quickly.

You can use an Android tool like WifiAnalyzer (several named the same), or a PC program like inSSIDer (3.x free, 4.x paid for) to see what the Wifi landscape looks like near you.

If you haven't looked, you might be surprised - here is one location that has way too many 2.4ghz radios:

inSSIDer 3.x download
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

inSSIDer 4 developer site
http://www.inssider.com/inssider4/

And, the Intel 7260 is the default card included on the new G751 series, and it has had more complaints about it than any other single card I have seen. Also that series has been problematic for over a year, with Intel getting bad press about it's inability to make broadly working driver. Things have improved, but I would say your Broadcom Wifi card has a better chance of being compatible with more routers - as long as those routers have up to date firmware and you find and use the latest driver for your Broadcom Wifi card. You still might have an incompatible router, but more than likely the 7260 will also be problematic with that router - the 7260's biggest issue is working with older routers...

Please come back and let us know what you work out 🙂

STEDMANA
Level 7
Thanks for getting back to me

I have been trying to find later versions of the drivers other than what is already available on the Asus website, although it has been difficult trying to identify what precise model number my chip is, I even installed a program called Driver Genius which said there was actually an update available for the WiFi chip amongst other chipsets, but they wanted $30US for the program and I have been trying to find the driver else where, the program even identified the chip but it put XXs past the first few digits so I couldn't use that info to find the driver myself :(. Currently though I have a driver version of 6.30.223.228 where as the one on the Asus site is only V5.93.98.207 as it seems.

I tried inSSIDer yesterday there were no WiFis in the same band although today it looks like the router decided otherwise, luckily though the 3 overlapping signals are very weak anyway and are always. I cannot update the router firmware or tinker with its band settings.

I am currently trying to find the particular driver that Driver Genius is listing
Broadcom BCM-43 7.12.39.13

STEDMANA wrote:

I tried inSSIDer yesterday there were no WiFis in the same band although today it looks like the router decided otherwise, luckily though the 3 overlapping signals are very weak anyway and are always. I cannot update the router firmware or tinker with its band settings.
I am currently trying to find the particular driver that Driver Genius is listing
Broadcom BCM-43 7.12.39.13

STEDMANA, BVr77 found it for you, post above, but I don't really think you need that new of a release to support your card - all the references I found to that 7.12.39.13 driver were in reference to the new 1550 card, which does benefit from the latest Broadcom package release.

Hopefully it will help, if not it might be that your router is incompatible with the new 43xx chipset - it is rather new - and includes the latest 802.11ac protocol support - these new AC chipset base WiFi cards, like the Intel 7260 series, don't play well with older routers.

Maybe it is time to consider upgrading the router? The Asus RT-AC68U is a broadcom chipset based router, and it might be a good match.

ASUS RT-AC68U review - Engadget
http://www.engadget.com/products/asus/rt-ac68u/

Asus RT-AC68U Review 2015 - TopTenREVIEWS
http://wireless-router-review.toptenreviews.com/premium-wireless-routers/asus-rt-ac68u-review.html

BVr77
Level 7
Hi, your Wifi card should be a Broadcom BMC-4352 and here is a link to download the version your looking for:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/outils/Drivers/Broadcom/Wlan/BCM-43xx-Wireless-802.11a-b-g-...

i never had any connection PB with this card, but i only use the 5GHz connection (my router don't have AC )

BVr77 wrote:
Hi, your Wifi card should be a Broadcom BMC-4352 and here is a link to download the version your looking for:
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/outils/Drivers/Broadcom/Wlan/BCM-43xx-Wireless-802.11a-b-g-...
i never had any connection PB with this card, but i only use the 5GHz connection (my router don't have AC )

BVr77, awesome, thanks for digging that up. Most of the hits I found failed to download, and Asus seems to be way back rev in what they offer, even in the central WLAN support the newest available is Version V6.30.223.249 .

Using your link I dug up the accumulation page for drivers for 43xx, and 7.12.39.13 is currently the newest, hopefully newer updates will continue to show up here:
https://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/component/remository/Drivers/Broadcom/Wlan/BCM-43xx-Wirele...

STEDMANA
Level 7
Hey guys, thank you very much for your time. I have come to the conclusion now though that it is definitely the router playing up. I managed to start running on Ethernet and I still have the same problem with this router. I have been using the laptop at other places too with no problems except when I'm here on this router, I guess my boarding mates don't use their router much to notice the problem. I just managed to get the latest drivers too using 'Driver Booster 2' from filehippo. Maybe at some stage I will be able to update the router firmware, or if it becomes to much of a problem I can convince my boarding mates to ring their isp and request the isp router to be upgraded as its hindering my studies :P.

STEDMANA wrote:
Hey guys, thank you very much for your time. I have come to the conclusion now though that it is definitely the router playing up. I managed to start running on Ethernet and I still have the same problem with this router. I have been using the laptop at other places too with no problems except when I'm here on this router, I guess my boarding mates don't use their router much to notice the problem. I just managed to get the latest drivers too using 'Driver Booster 2' from filehippo. Maybe at some stage I will be able to update the router firmware, or if it becomes to much of a problem I can convince my boarding mates to ring their isp and request the isp router to be upgraded as its hindering my studies :P.

STEDMANA, you don't need to wait for the ISP, you can get your own router and replace the one from the ISP 🙂

You can choose from many new released routers, from $49 up... anything would be an improvement from your current setup.

Here in the US, you can replace with your own router / modem and return the ISP parts to reduce your monthly bill.

Please come back and let us know what router you end up getting 🙂

STEDMANA
Level 7
I'm just boarding in this house , I know I could change the router and I would if it was mine. I don't want to hassle the people who own this house to much. I felt bad enough asking if I could run an Ethernet down their hallway, I even brought down my own router but it doesn't have a DSL modem in it. sure I could go and buy one externally and run that into the Internet in on my router.

I have had a good look at their router and it looks old, I think their ISP which is Telecom have given them a second from another home or something reused. Most ISPs provide routers with AC these days and this doesn't have it, not that that is the issue. If I were to get a router I would get this one 'Asus RT-AC87U AC2400 MU-MIMO Wireless Gigabit Router' but then their internet connection probably wouldn't get the most out of it.

At most I can get 1.5MBytes per second on occasion, although a lot of the time things won't load at all but after afew F5s and/or pulling the Ethernet in and out again or resetting the WiFi adapter it goes, this never happens anywhere else. Most places around here have Fiber to the door and can get around 5Mbytes a sec I think, or at least Fiber to the exchange. Previously I lived in a rural area and was using sub standard Dial up with an average of about 41kbps 4-7 KBps, doesn't seem like I can get away from shoddy connections.

If it becomes to much of a problem I'll ask if I could ring their ISP and get them to bring another router down, I think they might not like the idea of me putting in my own one.

Thanks for your help

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Asus-RT-AC87U-AC2400-MU-MIMO-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/23000199

Thats where I got this laptop too.

STEDMANA wrote:
I'm just boarding in this house , I know I could change the router and I would if it was mine. I don't want to hassle the people who own this house to much. I felt bad enough asking if I could run an Ethernet down their hallway, I even brought down my own router but it doesn't have a DSL modem in it. sure I could go and buy one externally and run that into the Internet in on my router.

I have had a good look at their router and it looks old, I think their ISP which is Telecom have given them a second from another home or something reused. Most ISPs provide routers with AC these days and this doesn't have it, not that that is the issue. If I were to get a router I would get this one 'Asus RT-AC87U AC2400 MU-MIMO Wireless Gigabit Router' but then their internet connection probably wouldn't get the most out of it.

At most I can get 1.5MBytes per second on occasion, although a lot of the time things won't load at all but after afew F5s and/or pulling the Ethernet in and out again or resetting the WiFi adapter it goes, this never happens anywhere else. Most places around here have Fiber to the door and can get around 5Mbytes a sec I think, or at least Fiber to the exchange. Previously I lived in a rural area and was using sub standard Dial up with an average of about 41kbps 4-7 KBps, doesn't seem like I can get away from shoddy connections.

If it becomes to much of a problem I'll ask if I could ring their ISP and get them to bring another router down, I think they might not like the idea of me putting in my own one.

Thanks for your help

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Asus-RT-AC87U-AC2400-MU-MIMO-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/23000199

Thats where I got this laptop too.

STEDMANA, you could run an ethernet cable from their router to your Asus RT-AC87U WAN port, and disable 2.4GHZ on your router (to avoid interference with theirs) and run on the 5ghz band at lowest power set up as an AP/router to feed your wireless need. 🙂

Your machines are then completely firewalled away from theirs as well.

And, you have 4 LAN ports to use in your room - Xbox, PS, ?, no more wireless for everything.

If there is a crawl space under the floor you can run the wiring under the house, or out the window and around the outside, or up into the ceiling across the attic overhead - try to avoid exposed wires that people can trip on, if at all possible. 🙂

Then you are one step away from either having your own setup ready for when you move, or you can order your own line from the ISP.