cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 No Issues Plugged In. Unplugged It Gets Choppy

helltigris
Level 7
While plugged in I have no issues. The very second I unplug my laptop my video games get choppy, especially online based games. I've been trying to mess with performance settings for when the laptop is unplugged and plugged in, but I haven't figured anything out yet. What do I need to do to fix this.
4 REPLIES 4

NitroX
Level 10
Wow, take it easy mate. Even if this is a gaming laptop it still cannot provide full performance while running on battery, even with Performance profiles set. There just isn't enough power to supply to the hardware. If you still want playable framerates while on battery try to use Nvidia's Battery boost. That way you can experience 60-90 minutes of gameplay while on the battery. But seriously now... why would you really wanna play on the battery ? This baby works at it's full potential only when it has enough juice to power it's components.

My honest opinion is to forget about gaming on the battery. It will only be a short session and you will probably wear your battery very fast.

Being plugged in 24/7 also is not good for the battery... or at least from my experience. I'm not complaining, I was just asking what I could do to fix this. Now that I know I don't have to mess with power options it's fine.

I don't know much about batteries so for more battery life just leave it plugged in and don't play any video games at all while it is unplugged?

The G751 model's battery is irreplaceable so I'm trying to maximize the life of the battery.

BigDRim
Level 7
I don't think that let it plugged will hurt the battery as it is only charging when it goes down to 95%. Actually using the battery is the best way to reduce its life.

helltigris
Level 7
I'm a desktop user, but have recently needed a laptop.

So I did some research.

1. Plug in whenever possible
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2042236/five-surefire-ways-to-maximize-your-laptops-battery-life.html

Having a battery fully charged and the laptop plugged in is not harmful, because as soon as the charge level reaches 100% the battery stops receiving charging energy and this energy is bypassed directly to the power supply system of the laptop.

However there’s a disadvantage in keeping the battery in its socket when the laptop is plugged in, but only if it’s currently suffering from excessive heating caused by the laptop hardware.
http://www.howtogeek.com/124715/should-i-leave-my-laptop-plugged-in-all-the-time/

The battery for this laptop obviously will not be damaged since the hardware doesn't run anywhere hot enough to damage the battery.

Thanks for the info it was very helpful.