cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling pumps and fans from motherboard fan headers?

Radeson
Level 7
Hello,

I have been researching and researching upgrading my watercooling. I am going to get a couple of pumps from koolance and a double pump holder dual cd bay reservoir also. I weant to know if anyone has controlled a pump from the fan headers.?? Or should i power it directly from the power supply? Or possibly a pump controller? I am thinking about getting the PMP-450 pump from koolance which has an adjustable 5-speed switch on the back. I just dont want to be taking off the side panel every time I want to change the speed. I know there are good pump controllers out there but I just thought it would be easier to do it all off of the motherboard.

I also would like to control all my fans from the motherboard also. How many fans can I safely split on the fan headers? I need a little help with this one.

I also plan on buying the EK motherboard water block for the motherboard. Going with the acetal=nickel all black. I've read some reviews about koolance CPU-380I cpu water block and it won hands down against like 15-20 other blocks. SO,I plan on buying this waterblock for my cpu. I want to do all series I think, unless someone convinces me otherwise. or a split loop. I have 2x EK 140mm single fan radiator, and EK 140mm triple fan radiator with a XSPC dual 120mm fan rad that I'm gonna shove in the front of my case where it really isnt supposed to go, but its gonna... lol. Alright any advice is welcome.

I want to know if i can run 2 pumps off of seperate or even a single motherboard fan header??? If not I will just run it on 2 or 3 (out of 5) connected to the power supply. Also how many fans can i connect to the motherboard fan headers? Ifg I need a splitter, can dc fans still be speed controlled if the splitter is powered, or is that only PWM?? Sorry for so many questions I want this to be perfect.
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15
The fan headers on the Rampage V Extreme is rated at a maximum of 1A. You can connect as many fans as you want as long as you don't exceed 1A. The same goes for the pumps.

Just to make sure, thats 1A per header, correct?

Chino
Level 15

Radeson
Level 7
Yup Yup... Thanks Chino. Im Thinking of running two of these pumps off of two separate headers bc it says 0.3-1.5 amps and it is rated all the way to 24 volts. so i think at 12 volts it sholdn't get to more than 0.9 amps. What do you think?? I dont think the motherboard headers can even push more than 12 volts. So the 1.5amp rating on the pump has to be only for when it is throttled to 24v.

http://koolance.com/pmp-450-pump-id-13mm-1-2in

Radeson wrote:
Yup Yup... Thanks Chino. Im Thinking of running two of these pumps off of two separate headers bc it says 0.3-1.5 amps and it is rated all the way to 24 volts. so i think at 12 volts it sholdn't get to more than 0.9 amps. What do you think?? I dont think the motherboard headers can even push more than 12 volts. So the 1.5amp rating on the pump has to be only for when it is throttled to 24v.

http://koolance.com/pmp-450-pump-id-13mm-1-2in

You can get powered fan headers that have their own power supply from a SATA plug and can control as many as 8 fans at a time. One lead will be plugged into the fan header on the motherboard and it will control all 8 fans at the same time through the motherboard BIOS or AI Suite.
You can also get powered splitters that are for just two or three fans as well. They work very well with the R5E. I have 13 Noctura industrial fans in my case all controlled this way. It is deathly quiet at idle and only a bit louder under load.
5930K @4.5
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
That pump runs off the Molex connector actually. The single blue wire is for PWM control. 😉

Its a good thing I looked a little harder. The pump I had you look at at koolance is NOT pwm!! It is throttled with voltage levels only. The single wire on the fan header is actually just a RPM tach wire, thats it.

The good news is i found an awesome pump that looks way better that IS controlled via PWM. I am gonna put 2 in series in a dual bay, dual pump cd-bay reservoir from koolance. I really cant wait.

Here is the new pump I found (notice it has two wires for PWM control not one):
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17549/ex-pmp-214/Swiftech_MCP655-PWM-DRIVE_12v_Water_Pump_Module_-...

I think Ill just get a Swiftech 8-way PWM splitter and put the 2 pumps on there with a bunch of fans on my radiators.... My water cooling project, even after shopping around, is about to dig 1300 out of the old leather. ahhhhh.

Oh well it will be worth it for sure when i have a near silent system with 4 rads in it that doesn't go over 45c... 😄

Radeson
Level 7
I dont know why I thought the little adapter they sell is into a 3-pin fan plug. Now that you say something i think its for the bigger 3-pin connectors seen on the back of their pump controllers. Tell me thats not a 3-pin fan header on this adapter.... Here:

http://koolance.com/3-4pin-molex-power-adapter