Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

Got my new power supply in the mail today, and loaded up Borderlands 2. Immediate crash at the menu screen, so not sure what to think now. Must be a motherboard or GPU issue. I did receive a RMA form from Asus for sending it in for repair, and said I would have to pay since the warranty is expired, but didn't specify how much. I'm just afraid I'll be charged 400$ or something, and keep having the same issues. I read people with these laptops that sent them in for repairs, paid quite a bit of money and still had the same issues in the end. Any idea how much a motherboard replacement would run me through Asus?

Super Moderator Array

Unfortunately, I don't know the exact costs either, but I believe ASUS support may be able to give estimates for different replacements (?), so you might want to check with them again to get a better idea if you are interested.

If you do send it back for repair though, I'm still worried it will be tough for repair to catch if you say you can run FurMark all day without crashing, so be sure to discuss this with ASUS support if you request the RMA.

We may also want to check if anybody else on the forums has better ideas?
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 03-07-2015 at 02:40 AM.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

it's kind of weird that your laptop will shut down if you play games while plugged in, but not while on battery. it really sounds like physical issues related to power supply of the laptop. it might be the adapter, or the power jack on the motherboard. since you never mentioned anything about battery charging issue, i assume everything is ok on that part?

is this happening in all the games you play? do you run overclocks on cpu/gpu? which version of geforce drivers are you running?

ROG Member Array

I wish I could just buy a new motherboard through Asus, and install it myself. Only other option is a used motherboad for 200-300$ off eBay. No issues charging at all, I've soldered on new DC Jacks onto motherboards before, but dont think that's the issue, this one feels very solid.

Then again worried it could be the graphics card. Wish I could just get both from asus, do the testing, and return what isn't needed. What a pain. Looks like the DC Jacks on these are on a seperate miniboard, but used they want 75$, geezus. I dont think that is the issue though. I wish I was able to toss in a 770m or 970m, that would give me reason to buy a new card first, and motherboard after I verified it was the mobo that was dying.
    Last edited by Velislide; 03-07-2015 at 06:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2