cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No support from Asus w/ failing G75VW motherboard

Velislide
Level 7
At this point I'm willing to pay to have it fixed, but I cant even get a response from Asus on the matter. My laptop since new had a random shut down issue, while gaming. Started out very very seldom it would happen. Now its at the point that I can only game 2-3 minutes and it shuts down.

I read up before on people sending in their laptops to Asus and they could not "reproduce" the issue, and were charged 100-200$ anyways. Well now I'm at the point its pretty dang easy to reproduce, but cant even get a single reply from Asus. Anyone have any luck? These should be recalled.

I've bought a G74 and now a G75VW, think for giving Asus so much money, I could at least get reponse to get this thing fixed.

I can run FurMark all day @ 85c and no shutdown. Memtest is fine also. Its only when using OpenGL or Direct3D that it shuts down. Instant power off. Tried repasting the cpu and gpu, reseating ram, etc.
13 REPLIES 13

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

Sorry it couldn't be easier, but hopefully we can resolve it easily.

Were you emailing and have you tried calling using the contact information below (sorry, only general link provided, so let me know if you have any problems finding the phone number)?

http://www.asus.com/support/callus

Be sure to request a case number if you aren't able to get the RMA number, but don't expect you will have too many more problems once you call.

If you can run FurMark all day without a shutdown though, I'm afraid it might still be a little tricky for repair to catch, so you probably want to also discuss more with ASUS support to make sure everything sounds okay.

Feel free to discuss more on the forums or send me a Private Message at cl-Albert if you prefer. Thanks.

Velislide
Level 7
Thanks for the reply, been super busy with work. Asus responded that I should update my Bios to 223 and reset to defaults, which I had already tried previously. Was no way to reply so had to open another case. I'm wondering if its something to do with the GPU's memory, since FurMark probably doesnt load up the 3gb like an actual game would. I will try calling the Asus support number tomorrow when I have a chance. I'm busy with work all day, and only home in the late evenings, so its always been hard for me to get any type of technical support.

If I sent it in for repairs, all they would need to do is run Borderlands 2 for maybe 5 minutes and it would shut right down.

Velislide
Level 7
One thing I noticed, gaming on the battery seems to work fine, other then the high drop in FPS. Soon as I plug in the AC adapter, it powers down seconds later instantly. I'm using a replacement Delta Electronics AC Adapter for the laptop, from Amazon. The power supply seems to be getting very hot, so maybe this is the issue? Wish I had another power supply I could use to test.

Velislide
Level 7
Just managed to play a full League of Legends match and it didnt shut down, using the battery only. Was not able to before on AC Adapter. Now I'm wondering if that points at the power supply being faulty? Or can it still be the motherboard... Hows this look for a replacement power supply? This Delta one I have gets super hot.

http://www.acadaptercharger.com/asus-laptop-adapter/G75VW-DH72.htm

cl-Albert
Velislide wrote:
Thanks for the reply, been super busy with work.

No problem for the delay, and I know how you feel since I'm usually pretty tied up with work myself 🙂 .

Velislide wrote:
If I sent it in for repairs, all they would need to do is run Borderlands 2 for maybe 5 minutes and it would shut right down.

Yes, but I'm not sure if repair has this same game if it makes a difference.
Repair may want to erase your hard drive or try a brand new factory installation to eliminate the possibility of software issues, so they will probably need a way to reinstall the program too.
Hopefully repair has a similar program they can use already, but any disks you send in may not be returned, so just something to think about and maybe discuss with ASUS support more when you request the RMA.

Velislide wrote:
Just managed to play a full League of Legends match and it didnt shut down, using the battery only. Was not able to before on AC Adapter. Now I'm wondering if that points at the power supply being faulty? Or can it still be the motherboard... Hows this look for a replacement power supply? This Delta one I have gets super hot.

http://www.acadaptercharger.com/asus-laptop-adapter/G75VW-DH72.htm

Hmm...honestly not too sure what to say about this except that I may not have enough data about it to give you a good answer if your power supply is faulty.

I suppose it's a possibility, but it's possible the problem is something else too like the motherboard or GPU since the system may not be performing the same on battery power (?) (Have you noticed any difference in performance between battery and AC power?), so you may need to decide for yourself if it's worth getting another AC adapter to try (you may end up with an extra adapter and the problem still not solved).

Since I work for ASUS and we don't know much about adapters sold by third parties, I'm a bit biased and can only let you know about adapters ASUS sells, so you may want to get more opinions from others about adapters sold by third parties.

If you're interested and in the U.S., you can check the ASUS Store site which shows they are out-of-stock of the 180W adapter currently.
http://store.asus.com/us/item/201412AM300000085/A19419

Otherwise, the U.S. and Canadian eStore site (we have 2 sites selling adapters right now) has it listed below too.
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5113

Well, hope this helps and good luck in resolving it!

Velislide
Level 7
Seems like the adapters have been out of stock for over a year from what I've been reading. I found an adapter at best buy that they let me use and managed to play some games for 30 minutes with no shut downs. Looks like it's the faulty adapter I think. Trying to find a replacement to buy, and go figure, oem replacements are impossible to find. Asus really does have the worst hardware support out of any brand I think, what other brand laptops don't sell direct oem replacement chargers? People havent had luck since 2013 trying to buy replacements.

cl-Albert
Velislide wrote:
Seems like the adapters have been out of stock for over a year from what I've been reading. I found an adapter at best buy that they let me use and managed to play some games for 30 minutes with no shut downs. Looks like it's the faulty adapter I think. Trying to find a replacement to buy, and go figure, oem replacements are impossible to find. Asus really does have the worst hardware support out of any brand I think, what other brand laptops don't sell direct oem replacement chargers? People havent had luck since 2013 trying to buy replacements.

Thanks for the update.

You may not be interested anymore, but I see the 180w adapter in stock at the U.S./Canadian eStore site link provided earlier and below, so hopefully you can get it if you need it.
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5113

Edit: Just heard the U.S. and Canadian eStore us.estore.asus.com may down for up to a week, so it's not going to be an option right now.

Edit 3/5: The U.S. and Canadian us.estore.asus.com eStore site should be partially back up now if anybody wants to get the AC adapters from ASUS.

I ended up ordering the Pwr+ 180watt adapter from Amazon for 50$, comes with a 14' cord and great reviews, unlike a lot of other 3rd party adapters. I'll let you know how it goes. Adapter should be here friday I think.

Velislide
Level 7
Ended up ordering the best charger I could find on Amazon, review wise. Any places that claim are OEM Asus chargers, ship direct from China, so seems pretty sketchy. Anything I've ever bought that shipped directly from China, has been a counterfeit. But anyways, I'm 99% sure its the adapter now, I just tried to load up Borderlands 2, and didnt even make it the loading screen before it powered off. Definitely a faulty ac adapter, made by Delta Electronics. Not even 3 months old.