cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(PLEASE HELP) G73JH-A1 wont resume windows after closing lid unless battery removed.

ORGaming-Danny
Level 7
Hey Guys,

I know this is an older model so there wont likely be many supporters so I appreciate any responses I get.

So I bought as used but it good condition G73JH and when I reinstalled windows, I noticed that when the computer was put to sleep or the lid was shut, It would not resume back into windows. The keyboard would like up, the fans would spin and the hard drive would spin but the display would not come back on. After fiddling for a bit I noticed that If you pull out the battery and hold the power button for around 20 seconds it would come back on and resume like nothing was wrong. I did adjust the advanced sleep/hibernation settings but it had no effect on the problem. When adjusting the settings to allow for it to run wile the lid was closed, It would still go to sleep when the lid was shut, and would not resume. The final weird thing was, After installing a new HD recently, It did the same thing when it should have gone into the bios.

When i first received the laptop, I ran a memtest, reseated the memory, Flashed the bios and after installing the OS, I ran furmark and received no issues. Honestly the thing works fine except for the fact that its hard to resume after sleep.

I am not completely computer illiterate and I am hoping that this is a simple issue that I have spaced for the moment.

Thanks,
Danny
8 REPLIES 8

C4RN1
Level 9
Sadly that sounds like either a motherboard or graphics card issue. I know the old hp dv9000 series with the nvidia chipsets have this exact problem and in the end it was the nvidia gpu/northbridge combo that failed. Since you have a dedicated graphics card I would try to clean and reseat it first to see if the bad connection is in the slot rather than on the card itself. Take the laptop apart, down to the motherboard, remove both heatsinks, clean the dies and heatsinks, and reapply thermal compound. You can also remove the card and use an eraser to clean the contacts, flush it with a bit of isopropyl and reassemble to test. If you want you can clean the video card slot itself, just be careful not to get any debris in it. It's very easy to get little pieces of whatever material you're cleaning with stuck in the slot.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Nope not a GPU or a Motherboard issue at all. This issue happens to occur from a batch of faulty batteries. I bet you replaced your battery lately Danny and what you actually need to do is get a replacement one from a reputable dealer. Haha I am 100% percent serious!!! I had Frankenstien'd about eight broken G73JH into seven working G73JHs a month ago and I had bought seven new replacement batteries for the units thinking if I am going to sell these things to people I have to get some new batteries. Needless to say the same issue happened to me on the first computer G73JH and so I set it asides and the same issue happened to me on the next G73JH so I investigate find out its the batteries themselves not the computers... Sometimes I just have to take the ROG kids to school... What can I say?!

where the issues that you were having pretty similar if not the same? also, Do you have a link to the retailer that sells a replacement battery that would fix this problem?

Thanks,
Danny

I wish you lived closer because I would have you send it to me and figure out exactly what the problem was... Right now I am looking into the new battery issue myself, I bought another ten batteries off of a different retailer and I am waiting for them to arrive... I can tell you right now that it is definitely either the screen itself, the battery or your GPU... Does your screen show any sign of life when you turn the computer on?... It sounds like your motherboard is fine...

If you can get the screen to load up windows which I think you said it does, this means that the graphics card and the screen are fine... I really think it has to be the battery... This is almost play for play what my computers were doing... Does your battery say CBD replacement battery on the label?

Sorry for the way late reply. I put it on the back burner because I couldnt get it figured out. I hope you are still active on this site. Have you found a resolution with all the batteries that you ordered for test? Im pretty sure that I do not have a problem with my motherboard, I can use the computer just fine, No overheating, even when gaming it still stays at stock gaming temps. My battery is the stock replacement and the serial on the side is HORS4273LH1410260017, I am not seeing anything saying CBD, At the botten in the branding section it lists "CE" but that logo also matches the original stock battery that is now bad. so at this point i am unsure why the system will not recover from hibernation if the lid is closed. Thanks for replying if you do.

C4RN1
Level 9
If his issue was a laptop battery then then he shouldn't be able to reproduce the symptom of it freezing from resume without a battery in. The laptop should run perfectly fine without a battery. I seriously doubt this is his issue, we'll find out when he responds.

I did buy a new battery because the original did not hold a charge. I took your advice and pulled the battery out then closed the lid, put into sleep and hibernation and on all 3 attempts it would not recover. The fans and HD were still running, it just had a black screen. Based off of the battery answer, would it possibly be having this issue because the incompatible replacement battery is not correctly storing the recovery information, which is also why the recovery is flawed when attempted without a battery? Also the new battery does hold and is able to use the full charge.

Its hard for me to believe it would be a GPU issue as it has never had an a problem displaying games, movies or stress test software and it still runs at standard gaming temps when stressing the GPU for hours. I dont have a problem getting my hands dirty and pulling the unit apart and repaisting the GPU but based on the data, I unsure if this would have a chance at fixing the problem. This may sound stupid, but could it be a problem with the CMOS? I know the purpose of the CMOS but with this issue, its seeming more like a power related issue so Im trying to narrow down what it might be.

Thanks for the responses guys, Ill continue to fiddle and see if i can get it produce a significant error that will help me narrow it down.

Thanks,
Danny