cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3930K overclocked to 4.5GHZ only reaches 4.2GHZ in games

_lt___gt_
Level 7
I have a 3930K OC'd to 4.5GHZ (45x100) and it is fully stable, which has been verified by running Prime95, AIDA64 and LinX for several hours. I use an offset CPU voltage and a fixed VCCSA voltage and have EIST and C1E enabled, while C3, C6 and C7 are disabled.

The problem is that the CPU clock goes only up to 4.2GHZ in games and other application that don't fully utilize the CPU, while I have a ratio set to 45 in BIOS. The CPU is not throttling, the temps are OK, but the CPU will reach 4.5GHZ when it is 100% loaded.

I don't want to have the CPU running at 4.5GHZ all the time, which is the reason I'm using an offset voltage and have power saving features enabled.

My system specs:
3930K C2
Sabertooth X79 (BIOS v 4701)
Corsair 8x4GB DDR3-1600MHZ
EVGA GTX680 2GB x 2 (SLI)
Corsair HX1000i PSU

So, the question is obvious: how do I make the CPU run at 4.5GHZ in games and applications that don't utilize 100% of CPU resources?

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hello

Try disabling the c1e state, disable speedstep and set the windows power plan to high performance when you play games.

This should run your cpu at 4.5GHz constantly.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello

Try disabling the c1e state, disable speedstep and set the windows power plan to high performance when you play games.

This should run your cpu at 4.5GHz constantly.

Setting the power plan to high performance defeats my purpose of having the CPU use less power when idle.

Disabling C1E has no effect, the CPU still reaches 4.2GHZ in everyday tasks during load.

All C state settings are disabled, the issue is that the CPU reaches full ratio when the CPU usage is 100%, which isn't happening in games.

Retired
Not applicable
games dont make the cpu work much, in fact CPU is mostly idling when a game is running..

Its not so much data going through the PCI-E slot( data from the HDD/SSD ), the GPU is doing most of the hard work

Why do you want the CPU to run at max when your gaming, when its not needed?? ehh

Gaming = GPU

But as you wish> Disable speedstep in bios, and dont touch the c states

run flat voltage settings (no offset modes)

If the cpu now is doing 4200mhz with a X45 multi. You need to look for faulty settings in bios

Ok, I managed to get the CPU to run at 4500mhz even during low CPU usage by disabling EIST and enabling C1E.
Now the CPU idles at 1200mhz and ramps up to 4500mhz even during low loads. The CPU voltage changes accordingly as well.

Exactly what I need.

Having both EIST and C1E disabled makes the CPU run at 4.5GHZ all the time.
When both EIST and C1E are enabled, the CPU frequency varies between 1200mhz-4200mhz depending on the CPU usage.
The only way to make the CPU ratio reach 45x when EIST is enabled (regardless of whether C1E is on or off) is to increase the CPU usage to 100%.

WhitePaw wrote:

Why do you want the CPU to run at max when your gaming, when its not needed?? ehh

Cpu frequency affects 3dmark score.

Retired
Not applicable
yes it sure does..

Thread title>
3930K overclocked to 4.5GHZ only reaches 4.2GHZ in games

but you meant for 3d mark?

>>verified by running Prime95, AIDA64 and LinX for several hours

The only thing those apps verified is that you passed them today, not that your system are stable tomorrow.....

Its funny.. ^^

_lt___gt_
Level 7
The "game" term was used just as an example of any application I want to fully benefit from the frequency my CPU is capable of running at.

Since the issue is not an issue anymore, I'm gonna ask the mods to lock the thread to prevent those (^^^) contributing nothing from posting useless messages in this thread. 🙂

Thank you.

Nate152
What I told you is one way to do it, sorry if it was not the way you wanted it.

Useless messages huh? Well here let me show you something .

Here is my cpu running at 5 FULL GHz all day long everyday start to finish. 5 FULL GHz web browsing gaming you name it and it's running exactly how I told you to do it, guess I need to change my sig.

I'll be sure to avoid your threads in the future.

Retired
Not applicable
Running cpu stress tests for hours, thats useless

Please appreciate my input instead as a gesture to strive for new knowledge

Good luck