cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD and HDD Help

thompssp
Level 7
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post so please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong section. I've searched everywhere for help but can't seem to find any answers to my question. I just purchased a custom built PC with the following specs:

ASUS Rampage V Extreme MOBO
Windows 8.1 64bit
i7 5960 8 core CPU
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB GPU
Corsair H80i CPU Liquid Cooling / Corsair 1200i Digital PSU / 16GB Corsair Vengeance Memory
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB (Primary OS Drive)
WD Black 2TB

My issue is with the hard drives mainly and I'm not sure if whether it may relate to something with the MOBO or not. For some reason whenever I try to install software onto my SSD (c:\) all of my other WD drives are accessed. I have 2 internal WD drives and an external WD. The external drive even wakes up. I can't figure this out and it's driving me nuts because it takes forever just to install something onto the SSD. I can actually hear all of the HDD's running like crazy and then Norton pops up and tells me that there is High Disk Usage by the MSIEXEC.EXE which is the installer. Sometimes a message pops up pertaining to my WD drives stating High Usage. It only does this during an install and takes almost 5 minutes like it's defraging or indexing or something. Makes absolutely no sense. This never happened in Windows 7 on my old system. Please let me know if I'm in the right area for posting this or if anyone might have an idea what's causing it. Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Saltgrass
Level 13
Never mind, I though the EVO designation was for mSATA drives, but it looks like it is also for normal SATA SSDs.

It is always best to remove other drives if possible when installing an OS.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what Samsung support told me but the company that built my rig (AVA Direct) said that it shouldn't matter. I was wondering if it might be because one of the HDD drives I pulled out of a Windows 7 pc. It's just used for storage and nothing else. Wasn't sure if I should reformat it while it's in the new system. It's the loudest one basically because it's several years old. I'm thinking that it might be the issue but not sure.

thompssp wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. That's what Samsung support told me but the company that built my rig (AVA Direct) said that it shouldn't matter. I was wondering if it might be because one of the HDD drives I pulled out of a Windows 7 pc. It's just used for storage and nothing else. Wasn't sure if I should reformat it while it's in the new system. It's the loudest one basically because it's several years old. I'm thinking that it might be the issue but not sure.

It's a possibility. Disconnect it to see how it goes.