Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

my friends.. is it safe to have the g sync and dsr patches?

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

The patches are taken from Alpha-drivers. They should not physically break the system, but there is no guarantee it is stable, uncorruptable or tested at all.

ROG Enthusiast Array

thanx marshall... ok for now i do use the g-sync and notice some good videos... only the reported blanks screens when on low fps... but hardware wise...all will be ok?

New ROGer Array TigerVBV PC Specs
    TigerVBV PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)H751JT-T7019D
    MotherboardIntel HM87 LPC controller 8C4B
    ProcessorIntel core I7 4710HQ CPU @2,50 GHz
    Memory (part number)16 Gb DD3
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia geforce GTX 970M 3Gb
    Sound CardRealtek
    Storage #1SSD SanDisk SD7SB3Q 128G 1002
    Storage #2HDD 1Tb 7200
    Mouse HAMA Urage Iluminated
    OS windows 8.1 64
    Network RouterAsus RT AC87U

Hi great job with this thread.
    I have a new G751JT - I7 4710HQ, 16Gb Ram, 128 Gb SSD, 1TB HDD (7200 ) GTX970 3Gb (Romania) and I have a little problem with thunderbolt driver ( from ASUS site). Windows show this message
    Thunderbolt (TM) Service cannot be found in Service. Please reinstall the Thunderbolt software package.
    I miss something? What thunderbolt software package?

New ROGer Array

Thank you for this post, it saved me a LOT of time.

I just bought the G751JY last week and since last week have had to reset Windows 5 times. I have had numerous errors and issues, 100s of problems in my event log, NVidia errors, network errors, etc. On initial setup, I could not even connect to a network. I had to create a local account, and then repair the network 2-3 times before I could finally connect.

I finally decided last night that it had to be a corrupt Windows install from ASUS and used the Windows Media Creation Tool to download an ISO and install.

Following this guide, everything works perfectly now. The Event Log is clean, no errors, fast network. It just confirms my suspicion that the original Windows installation (and recovery apparently) are corrupt.

So again, thank you!

RWK

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by CoderGuy View Post
    Thank you for this post, it saved me a LOT of time.
    I just bought the G751JY last week and since last week have had to reset Windows 5 times. I have had numerous errors and issues, 100s of problems in my event log, NVidia errors, network errors, etc. On initial setup, I could not even connect to a network. I had to create a local account, and then repair the network 2-3 times before I could finally connect.
    I finally decided last night that it had to be a corrupt Windows install from ASUS and used the Windows Media Creation Tool to download an ISO and install.
    Following this guide, everything works perfectly now. The Event Log is clean, no errors, fast network. It just confirms my suspicion that the original Windows installation (and recovery apparently) are corrupt.
    So again, thank you!
    RWK
    CoderGuy, you should report this to Assu support, this is not the typical experience with the base install - noone else reports such problems.

Doing a reset 5 times, and getting the same result each time, indicates whatever you were doing to update / not update Windows, drivers, apps was consistently causing this situation.

You shouldn't have needed to reinstall Windows from scratch to get it all working.

RogueNote wrote this thread to support owners that got a G751 without Windows - in his region a Windows bundle wasn't available.

This thread wasn't designed to take a good Windows install from Asus and throw it away to start over from scratch

I am happy to hear you got your laptop working, but from previous experience I don't think you needed to go such a drastic route.

Did you uninstall ROG Gamefirst III each time? That app messes with network priorities and has been known to generate the kind of errors you were seeing.

Did you update Windows completely, and install the latest Windows 8.1 drivers?

When you said you couldn't even connect to the network out of the box, did you mean Wired Ethernet or Wifi wireless? It isn't unusual to need to update the Wifi driver to the latest version before it will connect - the 7260 is a nasty long struggling wifi card, only now getting drivers that work consistently.

Uninstalling ROG software like ROG Gamefirst III, Splendid, Asus Live Update, etc are good things to remove, but the base Windows install should be fine. 99% of the owners of ROG laptops use it as a base and do updates to make drivers / OS current, and it works fine.

Good luck

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    CoderGuy, you should report this to Assu support, this is not the typical experience with the base install - noone else reports such problems.

Doing a reset 5 times, and getting the same result each time, indicates whatever you were doing to update / not update Windows, drivers, apps was consistently causing this situation.

You shouldn't have needed to reinstall Windows from scratch to get it all working.

RogueNote wrote this thread to support owners that got a G751 without Windows - in his region a Windows bundle wasn't available.

This thread wasn't designed to take a good Windows install from Asus and throw it away to start over from scratch

I am happy to hear you got your laptop working, but from previous experience I don't think you needed to go such a drastic route.

Did you uninstall ROG Gamefirst III each time? That app messes with network priorities and has been known to generate the kind of errors you were seeing.

Did you update Windows completely, and install the latest Windows 8.1 drivers?

When you said you couldn't even connect to the network out of the box, did you mean Wired Ethernet or Wifi wireless? It isn't unusual to need to update the Wifi driver to the latest version before it will connect - the 7260 is a nasty long struggling wifi card, only now getting drivers that work consistently.

Uninstalling ROG software like ROG Gamefirst III, Splendid, Asus Live Update, etc are good things to remove, but the base Windows install should be fine. 99% of the owners of ROG laptops use it as a base and do updates to make drivers / OS current, and it works fine.

Good luck

Thanks for the comments.

Not being able to connect from the start refers WiFi to during initial setup (wired is not an option for me). One of the first screens to come up after computer name during setup is to connect to a network. On all other computers I have used, I simply select my network and connect, but the ASUS build would not (could not) do that. The fresh install of Windows on the other hand connected instantly.

I did all updates on the ASUS build and all Windows updates. I did not uninstall any of the gaming things (I removed WebStorage and McAffee and Office). I was not aware at the time those installed games caused those issues. I currently have 4 other Windows 8 computers (2 Dells, a Lenovo, another ASUS) and none have ever given me any issues out of the box as this one has, but I figured I would try a fresh install of Windows before deciding it was hardware and returning it, happily it seems not to have been hardware. I will "try" to explain the situation to ASUS, even if I have to send the original M.2 drive to them to check for themselves.

I am happy to hear this it isn't typical, however, my other ASUS is a G74SX that came with Windows 7. After I upgraded it to Windows 8.1 my USB 3.0 never worked again and neither did my optical drive, so I just reset it back to Windows 7 and used it that way.

I should also mention one of the errors I was getting was with another application (that works fine on all other computers and now on the fresh build). The second time I reset, before I did anything, I tried the app and had the same error, so updates or driver installs was not causing the issues.

hmscott PC Specs

Thanks for the comments.

Not being able to connect from the start refers WiFi to during initial setup (wired is not an option for me). One of the first screens to come up after computer name during setup is to connect to a network. On all other computers I have used, I simply select my network and connect, but the ASUS build would not (could not) do that. The fresh install of Windows on the other hand connected instantly.

I did all updates on the ASUS build and all Windows updates. I did not uninstall any of the gaming things (I removed WebStorage and McAffee and Office). I was not aware at the time those installed games caused those issues. I currently have 4 other Windows 8 computers (2 Dells, a Lenovo, another ASUS) and none have ever given me any issues out of the box as this one has, but I figured I would try a fresh install of Windows before deciding it was hardware and returning it, happily it seems not to have been hardware. I will "try" to explain the situation to ASUS, even if I have to send the original M.2 drive to them to check for themselves.

I am happy to hear this it isn't typical, however, my other ASUS is a G74SX that came with Windows 7. After I upgraded it to Windows 8.1 my USB 3.0 never worked again and neither did my optical drive, so I just reset it back to Windows 7 and used it that way.

I should also mention one of the errors I was getting was with another application (that works fine on all other computers and now on the fresh build). The second time I reset, before I did anything, I tried the app and had the same error, so updates or driver installs was not causing the issues.
    CoderGuy, I have run into similar situations a number of times when Wifi isn't working out of the box, but not an Asus laptop. It is sad, but not that unusual. I wouldn't tar the whole thing with that brush if it was me, but I am not so much more forgiving as expectant of problems in new hardware releases with new components - you always need to update the drivers before putting any time into testing / configuration / tuning - it just doesn't make sense to work with the GA shipping drivers in most computers - they became out of date during shipping

It looks like Asus has issued a new image build for Windows for the G751, probably at least to include the new fixed Realtek driver, but likely also catches driver updates for everything. You just got the original image, rather than the updated image - which we are just now hearing about.

Windows 7 to 8.1 really messed up USB support for lots of laptops. What was your hardware Renesys or Intel ICH10?

I use this hack to get real USB 3.0 drivers for my G750JH - it should work for all G750's, but doesn't seem to work on the G751's that have tried it.

Windows 8 and Intel USB 3.0 Host Controllers
    http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windo...st-controllers

For some reason they have added a header saying that for Windows 8.1 they don't recommend doing it, but I still do and it works as expected - my USB 3.0 devices show up as

hwinfo64 usb 3.0 Superspeed for usb storage instead of usb 2.0 high speed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hwinfo64 usb 3.0 Superspeed  for usb storage instead of usb 2.0 high speed.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	48578

Same for 2TB WD drive
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hwinfo64 usb 3.0 superspeed wd elements 2TB.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	48579

So really, and hardly anyone notices this, many laptops running Windows 8.1 don't actually mount the drive as USB 3.0 SuperSpeed.

Don't know about the app incompatibility, you could try to use compatibility settings - there may be default settings on the Asus build that aren't there for a from scratch build... some to the betterment of function some not so much

Glad to hear you are up and running, and are happy(ier) now
    Last edited by hmscott; 04-25-2015 at 03:35 AM.

New ROGer Array

Thanks HMScott, appreciate it. The USB 3.0 issues were on my G74SX with Fresco Logic drivers. I tried every fix I could find on the intertubes and none of them worked. It works perfectly in Windows 7 though. Now that I have the G751JY up and running perfectly, I am giving away the G74SX to a friend's grandkid. He just wants it for games and wants Windows 7 anyway.

I figure as long as I have the drivers and this guide (this thread), I am not missing anything by installing straight Windows rather than the ASUS build. I bought the computer for video editing anyway and would have removed the gaming stuff eventually.

It's all good, just wanted to help out anyone else that may be having similar issues, which is sounds like not many were. I am usually alone in my computer weirdnesses anyway.

hmscott PC Specs

Thanks HMScott, appreciate it. The USB 3.0 issues were on my G74SX with Fresco Logic drivers. I tried every fix I could find on the intertubes and none of them worked. It works perfectly in Windows 7 though. Now that I have the G751JY up and running perfectly, I am giving away the G74SX to a friend's grandkid. He just wants it for games and wants Windows 7 anyway.

I figure as long as I have the drivers and this guide (this thread), I am not missing anything by installing straight Windows rather than the ASUS build. I bought the computer for video editing anyway and would have removed the gaming stuff eventually.
    CoderGuy, actually this is the old thread

Here is the 2nd pass updated Sticky version by RogueNote

Install Guide for Windows 8.1 on G751 freeDOS (no windows out of the box)
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...-of-the-box%29

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast