cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus warranty and painted parts

Evo
Level 7
Hey there!

I currently have some trouble. To be honest, I love ASUS as a company and therfore i'll choose them again. I'm currently doing my final steps on my RIG in terms of planning and while lieing in the bed and looking at my showcases I noticed how close they look to a Corsair Graphite 760T.

Now i'm killing my plans of a red / black rig and i would like to go white. Since graphiccards like the HoF 980 by Galax arent available in germany and therefore no other white card my idea was to paint the few red parts on the GTX 980 Platinum white.

Now I have some questions about this. Since there also water coolers for GPU's exist I dont belive that the warranty dies after disassembling the GPU heatpipe but will the warranty expire if i paint it?

Same goes ofc. for the Asus Rampage V Extreme and other stuff. I DONT(!) talk about painting damage like .. color in the RAM slots or something. Just like if I paint my Rampage V Extreme and it works like without the paint and then it dies to w/e reason 1 year later (or however long the warranty on that one is).

Here is a list of parts i would like to paint:

Asus Xonar Pheobus
Asus RAIDR
Asus Rampage V Extreme
Asus GTX 980 Matrix Platinum
4 REPLIES 4

Evo
Level 7
Question is still relevant to me.

Here is a mod that does a very good job on painting the asus rog motherboard white as i would do it.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55687-Project-Log-GREEN-MOLECULE-(modded-Fractal-Design-AR...

Retired
Not applicable
Dont paint.........

Xenocrates
Level 7
The usual consensus as far as cosmetic color and warranty compatibility is that so long as you use plastidip (and peel it off before sending it in), it doesn't harm thermal performance much, and it should still be able to be claimed as under warranty. Mind you, I'm not aware of a case where someone has sent in a painted part and gotten a response either way, nor of a case where a plastidipped part was sent in with the dip peeled off. So, you have an avenue to explore, but no definitive way to go.

Also, I'd personally run the hardware unmodded for a few weeks/months, to get it out of the bathtub curve and burned in, so any major problems present themselves before the mods occur, since even if they will replace it, you are then out the modding effort, which can be substantial.

Best of luck
Xeno

Chino
Level 15