G-sync, Free-sync and more then 2 GPU advice

Hi, I was thinking about something lately and wanted to know if anyone can give me an answer to this...

Right now I have 2 GTX 980 in SLI and I have an Asus Rog Swift monitor. It works great and I notice no tearing but also I don't notice any real bad frame time and variances either...

I know that going 1 or 2 more GPU for 3 to 4 way SLI and Quad fire or Triple Eyefinity has some serious tearing and frame time and variance issues. I was wondering if G-sync or Free-sync would help mitigate these issues? If so by how much? enjoyable real world playing? Could you rate from 1 to 10 (10 being greatest) compared to a super smooth 100 fps 1 GPU experience on a G-sync or Free-sync monitor?

Also, I was considering getting the Asus Rampage X99 Extreme 5 MB and I was wondering if in 2 Way SLI can I put the GPU's in such a way that they will have some spacing in between them for air flow? Also If say I wanted to go 3 or 4 way SLI will I have any spacing for GPU's with fans or should I stick to reference cards due to lack of space? Or is watercooling my only choice?

Thank you for any feed back.
    Last edited by chicochaco; 02-28-2015 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chicochaco View Post
    Hi, I was thinking about something lately and wanted to know if anyone can give me an answer to this...

Right now I have 2 GTX 980 in SLI and I have an Asus Rog Swift monitor. It works great and I notice no tearing but also I don't notice any real bad frame time and variances either...

I know that going 1 or 2 more GPU for 3 to 4 way SLI and Quad fire or Triple Eyefinity has some serious tearing and frame time and variance issues. I was wondering if G-sync or Free-sync would help mitigate these issues? If so by how much? enjoyable real world playing? Could you rate from 1 to 10 (10 being greatest) compared to a super smooth 100 fps 1 GPU experience on a G-sync or Free-sync monitor?

Also, I was considering getting the Asus Rampage X99 Extreme 5 MB and I was wondering if in 2 Way SLI can I put the GPU's in such a way that they will have some spacing in between them for air flow? Also If say I wanted to go 3 or 4 way SLI will I have any spacing for GPU's with fans or should I stick to reference cards due to lack of space? Or is watercooling my only choice?

Thank you for any feed back.
    Well I figured out the MB part of the question but nothing on the GPU side... Maybe it was dumb question. I guess I just need to try and find out myself.

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

We have very few 3/4 way users here. Best bet is GeForce forums I'd suggest.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

If I understand correctly you are gaming on 1 monitor and want to get a 3rd or 4th card?
    Imo any sync technology won't help there because the lags are coming from the implementation of SLI / Crossfire itself and not from the cards inability to put out enough frames to hit stable 60+ fps. I would suggest you check out 3-4 way SLI/CF reviews if there are any out there including frame times etc.

Quote Originally Posted by elesde View Post
    If I understand correctly you are gaming on 1 monitor and want to get a 3rd or 4th card?
    Imo any sync technology won't help there because the lags are coming from the implementation of SLI / Crossfire itself and not from the cards inability to put out enough frames to hit stable 60+ fps. I would suggest you check out 3-4 way SLI/CF reviews if there are any out there including frame times etc.
    Thanks Marshall as well for the advice.

Right now I am on a single monitor but in the future I plan to use a 4K monitor or that new 34 inch Ultra wide LG monitor with Free-sync. For example I play on ultra with 1440P at around between 90 and 130 FPS with BF4. I am guessing the gap is because of the frame variances of 2 way SLI and my understanding is 3 and 4 SLI will increase this variance to almost double. Combine that with 4K cutting the frames roughly in half so I will get 45 to 65 FPS with Just 2 GPU's at 4K but who know about 4 way SLI... So I think I need to get that low side of FPS atleast up to 60 FPS without lowering the graphics settings as much as possible by adding more GPU's. Now I am hoping the G-sync or Free-sync will atleast help with the tearing and perhaps the stuttering?

I am starting to understand that realistically water cooling will be the only way to go 3 and 4 way SLI. So I need to study up on a water cooling set up for 4 GPU's since I am a total noob on this. Anyone have some advice for 4 way SLI water cooling? Or point out what I might be missing with the above assumption?
    Last edited by chicochaco; 03-01-2015 at 07:57 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Pretty much my thoughts as well... looking at the frametimes for 3/4 way SLI it is not worth it. G-sync should help with the tearing for sure but the stuttering will still be there because the frames are not coming evenly from the GPUs.
    Unfortunately I could not find anything about frametimes in 4 way CF since the introduction of XDMA with the R9 290X but I guess they won't be much better. HardOCP did a test with 2x 295X in CF but without frametimes + the power consumption is insane

Then there is also the point about VRAM, even in 4way SLI you are still limited to the 4GB of one card although that should be enough for current games in 4k.
    Personally I would stick with 2way SLI and see how it goes on the new monitor, perhaps even put those 2 under water and do some overclocking... you can always add more GPUs at a later date or go for the new generation once it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by elesde View Post
    Pretty much my thoughts as well... looking at the frametimes for 3/4 way SLI it is not worth it. G-sync should help with the tearing for sure but the stuttering will still be there because the frames are not coming evenly from the GPUs.
    Unfortunately I could not find anything about frametimes in 4 way CF since the introduction of XDMA with the R9 290X but I guess they won't be much better. HardOCP did a test with 2x 295X in CF but without frametimes + the power consumption is insane

Then there is also the point about VRAM, even in 4way SLI you are still limited to the 4GB of one card although that should be enough for current games in 4k.
    Personally I would stick with 2way SLI and see how it goes on the new monitor, perhaps even put those 2 under water and do some overclocking... you can always add more GPUs at a later date or go for the new generation once it comes out.
    That is exactly the conclusion I came down to last night. I would also like to try a custom BIOS flash on the GPU's as well but I will probably end up breaking them. I also for the first time believe it or not turned off G-sync on my monitor after owning it for a month. Playing BF4 at over 100 FPS I think I notice a very slight input lag reduction and very minor tearing. What was even more strange was that I got about 15 to 25 % FPS increase (but my 3dmark score went down) on average and my cards were running a lot hotter. I do really like the light boost on, although quiet a bit of light leaking on parts of the bezel, I don't mind it but some may.

I kind of wanted to try water cooling plus overclock with with 2 8GB 290X in Crossfire and really be future proof but was put off since there was no Free-sync available yet. But now I am starting think I don't need this sync stuff and so I am kind of "free" to do what ever I want. I do suspect that the 290X won't compare even overclocked to the 980 though performance wise but if I can get one on the cheap then maybe a good way to start with my first water cooling.
    Last edited by chicochaco; 03-02-2015 at 06:30 PM.