cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G20AJ-NR039S i5-4460, gtx 980

gegmon
Level 7
Compact, awesome look, and still powerfull!

Yet....

Is 180W + 230 W enough to keep this desktop kicking as it should?

Nvidia suggests 500w power source for gtx 980 (assumingly for entire destop).
With this G20AJ with two separate power suplies it makes 180w+230w=410w.
Is this taken into account when whole model is made so that it doesn't consume to much power?
4 REPLIES 4

cder
Level 7
You can calculate here..
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

It seems it's not good. So you should expect clock down when you max out the CPU and GPU. And PSU is expected to be used under 80% of its normal rated power: 328W, otherwise it wears out fast. I think people want to use this PC after the 1-year warranty period....

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/specifications

According to Nividia's own specs, the 980 needs just 165W. The 230W Power Supply Brick for your G20AJ supplies the video card, so you are OK. This is only for the Reference Design Model though, w/no overclocking. Any overclocking consumes more power.

The 500W is suggesting an entire system.

The G20AJ is now being sold w/the GeForce GTX 980.

I'm running a GeForce GTX 670 in my G20AJ, w/o any problems, and it consumes 170W.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

cder
Level 7
TDP isn't the amount of power component consumes. Components consumes more than TDP.
You need 1.5 times as large capacity as TDP if you want to operate safely/stably.
That is why hardware manufacturers is telling you to prepare more capacity than its TDP.

X-ROG
Level 15
gegmon wrote:
Compact, awesome look, and still powerfull!

Yet....

Is 180W + 230 W enough to keep this desktop kicking as it should?

Nvidia suggests 500w power source for gtx 980 (assumingly for entire destop).
With this G20AJ with two separate power suplies it makes 180w+230w=410w.
Is this taken into account when whole model is made so that it doesn't consume to much power?

It's been thoroughly tested, although it's also a reason why we don't recommend after-market upgrades even though people attempt them on the G20. Nvidia suggests '500W' as just a safe number as some PSUs are not great quality.