cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can i order the recovery disk?

senju
Level 7
I always like to order the recovery disk when i get a laptop and not sure where to order one online for asus. Can someone point me to the location?
8 REPLIES 8

nice_lw
Level 7
For G751 is no recovery disc availably, you need to do on your self recovery on flash drive or ext. Hdd (minimum 32gb) for this machine.

senju
Level 7
What! every OEM is required to give the buyer an recovery disc. How can they not give

hmscott
Level 12
senju wrote:
I always like to order the recovery disk when i get a laptop and not sure where to order one online for asus. Can someone point me to the location?

senju, Asus provides an application called Asus Backtracker, which lets you create a bootable Flash recovery drive.

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

Use a USB 3.0 16GB drive, that is all that is needed to contain all the recovery data / application for the Windows 8.0 backup for G750's. The largest partition Asus Backtracker will make is 20GB - it leaves the rest of the space on larger flash drives empty. I have used 32GB, 64GB and 256GB flash drives to experiment, and Asus Backtracker only needs / uses 16GB.

Users with G751's report the same success with 16GB USB 3.0 flash drives, but AFAIK noone has tried larger drives to see how the newest Asus Backtracker uses extra space with the Windows 8.1 recovery partition.

If you already blew away your original Asus OS Build, you can't use Asus Backtracker, it is too late. You need to make the flash recovery drive before you erase the drive. I would recommend testing your Asus Backtracker flash recovery create on another HDD/SSD to make sure it is working before blowing away your original Asus OS Build.

A couple of hints and kinks with the Asus Backtracker. When creating a USB 3.0 16GB flash recovery with Asus Backtracker, make sure to unplug all other USB storage, you might accidentally pick the wrong storage and blow away what is on there...

When booting on the USB 3.0 16GB recovery flash drive, boot from power off, tap ESC until you get the Boot Menu and select the USB 3.0 16GB drive there - don't try to set the BIOS to boot on USB Flash.

The Asus Backtrack flash recovery first erases and repartitions all the drives it finds internally - so before doing the restore to the new C SSD/HDD REMOVE ALL OTHER INTERNAL STORAGE!! Otherwise they will all get erased and repartitioned - and left blank.

If you did blow away your original HDD/SSD, you are out of luck, Asus won't send you a recovery drive/DVD, they won't accept just a drive for restore of the Assu OS Build - you need to send the entire laptop and drive back to Asus as an RMA for Asus to restore the Asus OS Build onto your laptop.

Asus Technical Inquiry - Request for RMA
https://vip.asus.com

Please let us know how it works out for you 🙂

hmscott wrote:

If you already blew away your original Asus OS Build, you can't use Asus Backtracker, it is too late. You need to make the flash recovery drive before you erase the drive. I would recommend testing your Asus Backtracker flash recovery create on another HDD/SSD to make sure it is working before blowing away your original Asus OS Build.

Deleting the original 20GB recovery partition is considered as "blowing away"?

BigDRim wrote:
Deleting the original 20GB recovery partition is considered as "blowing away"?

BigDRim, blowing away the original partitions and installing a "clean" Windows install from Microsoft Media is what I was thinking of. But yes, erasing or blowing away your only backup of the original OS Recovery data is "blowing it away".

If you have completely lost the ability to restore the original Asus OS Build, then you have blown away the original recovery capability.

If asked, no one would say throwing away or blowing away the original installation Media that came with their laptop is a good idea, but for some reason many give no thought to erasing the original boot disk and putting on their own install of Windows.

It is an amazing gap in thinking that happens more often than you think. We get people here all the time looking for a way to get their original OS installation back, and we have to tell them there is no way to get it back except by RMA'ing back to Asus, or returning to the seller if it they are still in the return period of their purchase.

If you have a working Asus Backtracker Flash recovery drive, or have kept your original Asus OS HDD on the shelf as a backup, the resulting OS recovery restore to a new SSD/HDD can be safely altered as you see fit.

I delete the recovery partition and associated partition, and the secondary partition on the boot drive, and merge all the free space into the C partition.

But, I have 2 Asus Backtracker recovery USB flash drives that I never reuse for anything else, they are taped into the original box, so I am safe to play with the restored OS partitions.

Always make sure you have a backup.

Never assume you are smarter than the Engineers that built and configured the hardware / OS for your laptop, at best you can do as well, unlikely you will do better than they have with the OS install.

Noone has ever reported their Windows install is faster or better than the original Asus OS install, benchmarks show the Asus Build generates as fast or faster results.

Uninstalling Asus Applications after restoring the original OS takes 5 minutes, a far shorter time to completion than doing a from scratch install from Microsoft media.

You have 1 laptop to install the OS, Asus has 100k's, millions over the years, they have far more experience at doing it right, and have a process in place to make sure it works correctly. And even they make mistakes.

If you bought the laptop to play with doing OS installs instead of gaming, ignore what I am saying and have fun building OS's on your ROG laptop.

If you are doing OS imaging as your focus on an ROG laptop, you are wise enough to have already done a backup of the original OS for comparison.

hmscott wrote:
BigDRim, blowing away the original partitions and installing a "clean" Windows install from Microsoft Media is what I was thinking of. But yes, erasing or blowing away your only backup of the original OS Recovery data is "blowing it away".

If you have completely lost the ability to restore the original Asus OS Build, then you have blown away the original recovery capability.

If asked, no one would say throwing away or blowing away the original installation Media that came with their laptop is a good idea, but for some reason many give no thought to erasing the original boot disk and putting on their own install of Windows.

It is an amazing gap in thinking that happens more often than you think. We get people here all the time looking for a way to get their original OS installation back, and we have to tell them there is no way to get it back except by RMA'ing back to Asus, or returning to the seller if it they are still in the return period of their purchase.

If you have a working Asus Backtracker Flash recovery drive, or have kept your original Asus OS HDD on the shelf as a backup, the resulting OS recovery restore to a new SSD/HDD can be safely altered as you see fit.

I delete the recovery partition and associated partition, and the secondary partition on the boot drive, and merge all the free space into the C partition.

But, I have 2 Asus Backtracker recovery USB flash drives that I never reuse for anything else, they are taped into the original box, so I am safe to play with the restored OS partitions.

Always make sure you have a backup.

Never assume you are smarter than the Engineers that built and configured the hardware / OS for your laptop, at best you can do as well, unlikely you will do better than they have with the OS install.

Noone has ever reported their Windows install is faster or better than the original Asus OS install, benchmarks show the Asus Build generates as fast or faster results.

Uninstalling Asus Applications after restoring the original OS takes 5 minutes, a far shorter time to completion than doing a from scratch install from Microsoft media.

You have 1 laptop to install the OS, Asus has 100k's, millions over the years, they have far more experience at doing it right, and have a process in place to make sure it works correctly. And even they make mistakes.

If you bought the laptop to play with doing OS installs instead of gaming, ignore what I am saying and have fun building OS's on your ROG laptop.

If you are doing OS imaging as your focus on an ROG laptop, you are wise enough to have already done a backup of the original OS for comparison.

Oh no i "only" deleted the recovery partition, I kept the OS as I bought it.
And thanks for all these advices.

senju
Level 7
This sucks. I get the recovery disc so that i dont have to worry about the USB getting corrupt and not wastig one good USB just for recovery which i might never need. Wil try to create a backup in USB and then move that to a DVD and see if that works.This also makes me not want to buy anymore Asus laptops.

senju wrote:
This sucks. I get the recovery disc so that i dont have to worry about the USB getting corrupt and not wastig one good USB just for recovery which i might never need. Wil try to create a backup in USB and then move that to a DVD and see if that works.This also makes me not want to buy anymore Asus laptops.

senju,

I don't know how to break this news to you, but recovery disks are a thing of the past. Hardly any vendors are including them with new laptops and PCs now days. Restore Disks are pretty much extinct and have been for a few years.