cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Install ethernet driver on windows server 2008 r2

Alchemy
Level 7
After a lot of suffering and a lot of google, I still didnt find a complete solution to what i needed, so I figured out how to get the ethernet drivers for the Crosshair V motherboard working on windows server 2008 r2. what i ended up doing is as follows.

1. Download the Intel Gigabit LAN driver from the asus website as normal.
2. extract the files to some folder (doesn't matter where)
3. Open up the foler and navigate to Other_OS\PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS62
4. Open up the e1c62x64.inf file
5. look for [ControlFlags] and delete the three lines of information in that section
6. just below [ControlFlags] you will see an [Intel] section where there will be [Intel.NTamd64.6.1.1] and below that [Intel.NTamd64.6.1], these are the sections for Different OS's, and the lower section is the one for WinServer2008R2 . Copy the lines under [Intel.NTamd64.6.1.1] that start with %E1503NC below to [Intel.NTamd64.6.1] so they are there as well.
7. Now copy one of the lines you pasted into the lower section and paste it in the same section just at the end, and delete the DeviceID from it,( its the third thing in the line just look at the comment text in the file)
8 Open up device manager and find your as of now unrecognized ethernet controller, right click, go to properties, click details in the upper menu and select Hardware ID's.
9. Now In my card I have 4 Id's, and if you look at your Id's you should notice one similar to the DeviceID's in the lines of the inf file you copied earlier, take that DeviceID and paste it into the empty deviceID of the line you created earlier
10. Save The File and you can just use Autorun.exe in the main folder and it should work, or you can add the ID of the "Unrecognized Operating System" the asussetup shows you when it fails to run. take that and add an entry in the AsusSetup.ini by putting down the OS ID the setup error gave you and just assign it to Win7_64 Ultimate or something.

I hope this helps those of you who are freaks like me. ill try to post screenshots and stuff later but its seriously late now and I just needed to post this before I forgot.

Cheers.
2 REPLIES 2

cbjaust
Level 7
So what is the adapter called in dev manager? For me it's a "Intel(R) 82580 Gigabit Network Connection" which is not exactly the one actually on the C5FZ. Have a search on this forum for my posts on installing the Ethernet drivers. My installed driver version is 12.7.78.0 and I also have PROSet installed and working - version 18.1.59.0. Cheers
MAIN AMD FX-8350 @ 4.78GHz | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | 16GB G.Skill TridentX | Radeon HD7970 3GB
SERVER/HTPC AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.4GHz | DFI DK 790FXB-M2RSH | 8GB | Radeon HD5670

cbjaust wrote:
So what is the adapter called in dev manager? For me it's a "Intel(R) 82580 Gigabit Network Connection" which is not exactly the one actually on the C5FZ. Have a search on this forum for my posts on installing the Ethernet drivers. My installed driver version is 12.7.78.0 and I also have PROSet installed and working - version 18.1.59.0. Cheers

I dont think it really matters---when the 82583 on my CHVFZ went south (i.e. stopped working entirely), I replaced it with a EXPI9301CT (Intel), which, stupidly enough, Intel does not make drivers for in win 8.1. Following a similar guide to the one above, I installed the Win 8.0 drivers and it all works fine now---even though Device Manager identifies the card as an 82574L.

I wish Intel would update their drivers---its not like 8.1 is an obscure OS or anything....