cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making of "Official NotebookFanControl NBFC G751JY Profile"

NitroX
Level 10
So, since I was pretty upset about my problems with the NotebookFanController (NBFC) I have studied the program for the last 2 weeks. I have read the NBFC Guide from the developer and I have talked with him on the German forum from where I got the NBFC software. Therefore I have managed to understand how NBFC works and I will try to make a tutorial so all people will know how to work with this program.

I DO NOT recommend Notebook Fan Control to users that do not have experience with monitoring their system temperatures and/or people that are not aware of the risks of using this sort of software.
I DO NOT recommend using Notebook Fan Control if your CPU temperatures are already staying under 80-85C in high load.

Personally, I am always using MSI Afterburner with OnScreenDisplay to monitor my temperatures and frequencies when I'm gaming, and I'm also keeping a monitoring program turned 24/7 when I'm using the laptop.

Update 4 (25.05.2018): I am sorry for all the messages I haven't replied to. I have not been active on the forum for a long time, and I don't think this will change soon. I am very happy to see people are getting along with NBFC and that some of you actually read the whole tutorial to make your own profiles.

You can always get the newest version of NBFC right from the developer's site: https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/releases
You can also freely download the CPU+GPU Profile* for G751JY over here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am2-POias53yh3eux3zQzhG4m7cl

*Disclaimer: As I said, for many times in this thread, I do not recommend using the CPU+GPU Profile if you are not an experienced user. I will not be made responsible for any hardware/software damage caused by the misuse of the profile.

Update 3 (12.02.2016): There is a new version of NBFC (1.4.2). Download link below! Follow the same steps from Update 2 to install the newest version. For more info about the changes follow the download link:

Update 2 (28.June.2015): There is a new version of NBFC available which has the G751 profile included in the install pack. Also, the developer said that he solved some bugs and issues. I have tested the new version and it works great. Uninstall the older version 1.1.19 -> restart your laptop -> Install the newer version 1.1.34 and select the G751 profile -> Restart your laptop again -> Enjoy your lower temps. (See download link below)

Update1: The G751 single fan profile has been officially added in the NBFC profile list http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1070494&page=50&p=17110538#post17110538

Download links:
You can download the G751 profile over here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F29DB39AE83CBE6D!766&authkey=!AGWQurkNXivtlNw&ithint=file%2cxm... (This profile is only for controlling the CPU Fan since only CPU temperature problems have been reported)
You can download the 1.1.1.19 NBFC Version from here: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=f29db39ae83cbe6d&id=F29DB39AE83CBE6D%21763&ithint=file,exe&authkey=!A...
You can download the 1.1.34 NBFC Version from here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F29DB39AE83CBE6D!946&authkey=!AGcpvPcYuJxz8wY&ithint=file%2cex...
You can download the 1.1.42 NBFC Version from here: https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/releases

If you want to learn how to make your own profiles, read the section below:

Ok, so to get started we must first understand how does the NBFC work. NBFC is capable of controlling our notebook fans by overwriting some values in the Embedded Controller table that stores most of the information about the Power Management of the laptop (Example: temperature readings, battery capacity, both fans speeds, etc.). Here is an example of how the Embedded Controller Table looks like at idle:

As you can see there are many values over there that give information about our laptops well being. I don't know to explain all of them but we don't even need to know. The only 2 values that are important to us in order to control the laptop fans are the "01" values marked with red (CPU) and green (GPU). Those 2 values represent the fans current state. So, for the state 01 we have a certain fan speed which for the CPU is 2200-2300rpm (it varies between) and a for the GPU I have to find out because I can't seem to find any monitor that shows me the GPU fan rpm. You can also see there that I have highlighted 2 more values for each color. Those values are directly connected to the fans state and I have highlighted them so you know why they are always changing in the EC Table.

Now, as I said there are some fan states for the CPU and GPU. Now, those fan states vary from 00 (which means the fans are turned off) to 06 (which means the fans run at max speed). For example we have 3300rpm for CPU at state "06" and for the GPU I must find out because it seems that the GPU fan goes faster than the CPU one at "06" state. And you can see an example in this next screenshot where I highlighted the same registries but with different values for the CPU/GPU fan.

I hope that it is clear until now. Basically what NBFC does is to overwrite the default fan states with the ones that we impose by using a certain profile.

Now, if these things are clear we can go further with how I made a NBFC Profile from scratch, for our ASUS G751. (For other models you should read the developers guide because it is pretty well explained over there).

1) Firstly I have downloaded the latest version of NBFC 1.1.1.19 (Download here https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F29DB39AE83CBE6D!763&authkey=!AD4wusmXdvLOO90&ithint=file%2cex... ) and an application to see the Embedded Controller Table, called ReadWrite Everything version 1.6.7 (Download here https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F29DB39AE83CBE6D!764&authkey=!AEvC-UKeeATDqtQ&ithint=file%2czi... ) .

2) Now, after I have installed the application I had to make a new profile. But, before starting the profile I first had to find the Read/Write registers. Grantig, the developer, has explained well enough how to find the Read/Write registers by using RWEverything and stressing the CPU&GPU. Luckily for me, I already knew that the registers should be 151 for CPU and 152 for GPU because I have used before the profile for ASUS Zenbook UX32LN. So, this part was pretty easy but I had to check if the Read and Write registers are indeed the same because I was having some trouble with the profiles used before. But it is important to know that the Read and Write registers for the CPU and GPU are one and the same. So register 151 is acting as both Read and Write register for the CPU. This means that the NBFC reads the initial fan speeds and CPU temperature from that register and it also writes the new values to control the fans speed. This is quite annoying because the EC will constantly overwrite the default values and you need to find a suitable Poll Interval for the NBFC (see the next step for more infos about Poll Interval).

3) After verifying the Read/Write registers I was able to start making the new profile with NBFC Config Editor. I've hitted "New", added "G751JY" at the Notebook Model and then started to write the values. Now, as you may see, in NBFC there are more values that have to be set. So starting with the first tab "Basic Configuration" I have set the Poll Interval to 3000ms and the Critical Temperature to 100C. The Poll Interval represents how often does NBFC Write to the EC Table. This Poll Interval value is tricky because if you leave it too high, then your fan speed will vary too much because the values written by NBFC will be changed by the default values of the EC. So, after some tests I have seen that 3000ms was too much. Then I have tried setting it to minimum, which means 100ms. But this isn't good either because writing too often in the EC Table left me with some weird values written all over the registers. These values can make your notebook act weird, and I have some personal exampleslike: the fans start bursting into full speed, the battery led starts blinking orange, the battery is not detected, the notebook goes into sleep mode by random, or the battery capacity isn't showing correctly. Most of these problems are repaired by resetting the Embedded Controller by pressing and holding the power button for 10 secs until the battery led shuts off and starts again. Now, after I have found what did cause some of the biggest troubles I have found that a Poll Interval of 500ms is just right to avoid any of them.
Now, the critical temperature is a safe trigger which makes your fans go into 100% when it is reached. But I have set it to 100C as I find it unnecessary and annoying because when the fans are triggered by the Critical Temp. then they won't reduce the rpm until the temperature reaches "Critical temp. - 15C" .
And also in the Basic Configuration Tab we can also see the Read/Write Mode which means that by selecting "Byte" NBFC will only Read/Write in a single register. So, if you set the CPU fan to Read/Write from register 151 then it will only use that register. If you use "Word" then the NBFC will not only Read/Write to register 151 but also into register 152 at the same time. This might be useful for other notebooks but for our ASUS G751 "Byte" option is necessary.

I have continued explaining in the next post!
100 REPLIES 100

hmscott
Level 12
Nitrox, I don't think the NBFC is at a point to recommend to everyone, if miss set up and left on automatic NBFC can overheat the GPU at idle - it is too dangerous to use, and I stopped using it.

The G750's/G751's are designed to automatically cool as needed.

You can become overly concerned with running the chips cooler than needed, it isn't necessary for the long term life of the chips, and distracts from the enjoyment of the laptop for gaming.

If you are having cooling issues, you are thermal throttling when playing games / running apps, then you can RMA the laptop or return it, as it shouldn't be doing Thermal Throttling in games/apps.

If your use is such that you know you are overtaxing the system - like running long term batch jobs doing rendering / computing - that when running on all 4 cores puts the temps near throttling, and Thermal Throttling occasionally gets triggered, then you can de-tune cores 3/4 a couple of steps, say from 34x to 30x or 32x to assure full performance.

Again, NBFC isn't a reliable tool yet, so I would stop recommending it for so many to use. Wait until you and the developer work out all the bugs 🙂

Thanks for your enthusiasm and please do understand I encourage this kind of experimentation, but you will find lots of people aren't as diligent in monitoring as you are and might not catch that they are cooking their GPU's with NBFC at idle.

OC'ing CPU's / GPU's in the range the normal BIOS/vBIOS set won't damage a CPU/GPU, but messing up cooling will.

I would suggest the 3rd choice not say NBFC is useless, I would say NBFC is dangerous and not ready for general use.

And most importantly, manual fan control is completely unnecessary in a properly functioning G751/G750.

hmscott wrote:
Nitrox, I don't think the NBFC is at a point to recommend to everyone, if miss set up and left on automatic NBFC can overheat the GPU at idle - it is too dangerous to use, and I stopped using it.

The G750's/G751's are designed to automatically cool as needed.

You can become overly concerned with running the chips cooler than needed, it isn't necessary for the long term life of the chips, and distracts from the enjoyment of the laptop for gaming.

If you are having cooling issues, you are thermal throttling when playing games / running apps, then you can RMA the laptop or return it, as it shouldn't be doing Thermal Throttling in games/apps.

If your use is such that you know you are overtaxing the system - like running long term batch jobs doing rendering / computing - that when running on all 4 cores puts the temps near throttling, and Thermal Throttling occasionally gets triggered, then you can de-tune cores 3/4 a couple of steps, say from 34x to 30x or 32x to assure full performance.

Again, NBFC isn't a reliable tool yet, so I would stop recommending it for so many to use. Wait until you and the developer work out all the bugs 🙂

Thanks for your enthusiasm and please do understand I encourage this kind of experimentation, but you will find lots of people aren't as diligent in monitoring as you are and might not catch that they are cooking their GPU's with NBFC at idle.

OC'ing CPU's / GPU's in the range the normal BIOS/vBIOS set won't damage a CPU/GPU, but messing up cooling will.

I would suggest the 3rd choice not say NBFC is useless, I would say NBFC is dangerous and not ready for general use.

Yep, I totally agree with you that it could be dangerous for the entry level users but it isn't that dangerous for any user that knows to download HWMonitor/HWInfo and keep an eye on the temps. Also, making use of your ears is also a good tool to check if the fans are working :).
I have been testing this program for a long time now, and can say that it is reliable once your understand how it works. And what I have tried to do is to raise the CPU fan a little bit. From my tests I have found exactly what I was assuming 2 months ago. The CPU fan has a different default profile than the GPU one and this is why the cooling on the GPU is way better. I have explained in more detail in the posts. The fact that the CPU changes it's cooling state much later than the GPU determines an accumulation of heat inside the case.

I am definitely not recommending it to everyone. I just recommend it for the people that know about it and who want to control their fans.
I'm just trying to provide a starting point and as much information as I can so the people would more readily understand the applications features.

By the way, the GPU has nothing to do with this profile as I only made a profile for the CPU. The GPU is already cooled better enough so I don't really see the point of changing its default profile. There are several reasons for not doing this and I have stated them all in the long posts.

EDIT: All in all, this was more of a personal challenge for me as I couldn't feel good enough knowing that my system is reaching 85C-90C while gaming :). You could call me paranoiac but I'm feeling way better knowing that I can also have this option for manual tunning the fans . I was very intrigued by the idea and when I saw that the program has some glitches I was a bit disappointed and hoped that someone would figure it out. But, in the end, it seems that I had to figure it out myself.

As I said, I will send the profile to the developer, ask him to check if everything works fine and if it passes his tests then it will be officially provided with the NBFC Installer.

NitroX wrote:
Yep, I totally agree with you that it could be dangerous for the entry level users but it isn't that dangerous for any user that knows to download HWMonitor/HWInfo and keep an eye on the temps. Also, making use of your ears is also a good tool to check if the fans are working :).
I have been testing this program for a long time now, and can say that it is reliable once your understand how it works. And what I have tried to do is to raise the CPU fan a little bit. From my tests I have found exactly what I was assuming 2 months ago. The CPU fan has a different default profile than the GPU one and this is why the cooling on the GPU is way better. I have explained in more detail in the posts. The fact that the CPU changes it's cooling state much later than the GPU determines an accumulation of heat inside the case.

I am definitely not recommending it to everyone. I just recommend it for the people that know about it and who want to control their fans.
I'm just trying to provide a starting point and as much information as I can so the people would more readily understand the applications features.

By the way, the GPU has nothing to do with this profile as I only made a profile for the CPU. The GPU is already cooled better enough so I don't really see the point of changing its default profile. There are several reasons for not doing this and I have stated them all in the long posts.

NitroX, the problem comes in as the default behavior is to change the fan profiles defined by Asus, and to override those safe defaults is potentially going to cause more harm than good.

No one is infallible enough to be 100% vigilant under manual control, or when programming the automatic fan curves. It is an art that takes many hours to get correct, and potentially fatal component errors along the way.

I thought I had it under control myself, and only accidentally noticed the idle temp on my GPU being too high - the GPU fan is mostly silent normally - but under NBFC it was even quieter, but I didn't notice until I was using GPU-Z Sensors for responding to an unrelated post, my idle temp was way too high.

If I can miss that for days at a time, so will others, and some might never catch it until their GPU fails.

It isn't worth it to play around with NBFC, in my experience.

I am only providing a counter explanation and warning, of course others will want to find out for themselves. 🙂

BTW, a mis-configured CPU fan curve could end up doing the same damage as a mis-configured GPU fan curve. I was commenting on my experience with the profile as pertains to GPU as I observed it, I immediately uninstalled NFBC and stopped recommending it when I found this out, I didn't explore further the CPU fan curve ramifications.

Yeah, I am aware of the risks implied by using this sort of application. I have also had my bad experiences with NBFC when I started changing values without knowing what I'm doing and I ended up with the battery led blinking orange, the battery wasn't charging and the laptop went into a sudden sleep mode. I got scared like hell in that day... but it seems that it was sorted out quite easy by resetting the EC.

As I said, I'm not recommending the program to everyone. I've added one big highlight about this in the first post as it certainly implies some risks playing with this sort of software.

By the way, when you were using NBFC did you only use the pre-made profiles or did you made your own profile for the G750 ? You said something about the GPU fan curve. Did you checked the EC Table to see which values were changing for the fans ?

NitroX wrote:
Yeah, I am aware of the risks implied by using this sort of application. I have also had my bad experiences with NBFC when I started changing values without knowing what I'm doing and I ended up with the battery led blinking orange, the battery wasn't charging and the laptop went into a sudden sleep mode. I got scared like hell in that day... but it seems that it was sorted out quite easy by resetting the EC.

As I said, I'm not recommending the program to everyone. I've added one big highlight about this in the first post as it certainly implies some risks playing with this sort of software.

By the way, when you were using NBFC did you only use the pre-made profiles or did you made your own profile for the G750 ? You said something about the GPU fan curve. Did you checked the EC Table to see which values were changing for the fans ?

NitroX, when I realized it was unfinished, and there wasn't a G750 specific profile, I experimented with using similar profiles with user level configuration changes, and found 1 profile that worked with CPU only, then later found 1 profile that worked for both CPU and GPU fan setting, and was excited at the potential.

When I came across the faulty automatic mode, with the resulting over-temp for idle on the GPU, I looked at the source code.

After consideration I decided it wasn't worth the effort as my G750JH CPU/GPU temps, and the G751 temps I was seeing, weren't bad and didn't require any help from something like NBFC.

Over time I have come to realize that there is much to enjoy about being able to rely on the vendor engineering, rather than assuming I can materially improve on it myself, and spending a bunch of time improving what doesn't need improving 🙂

I do find and fix problems with Windows / apps, recommend optimizations for better performance through tuning, but if there is an actual system problem / shortcoming it is the vendors responsibility to fix it, so I report the perceived problem to Asus and work with them to get it fixed.

If you want to de-tune the CPU/GPU to run cooler that is up to you, or if you want to OC the CPU/GPU that is up to you too, and the Asus automatic CPU/GPU fan curves cover both situations.

We paid Asus to engineer the laptop for safe long term use and best performance, and I think they have done that. 🙂

NBFC is the first time I have run across something that I think can be dangerous/injurious to the laptop, that is why I am recommending not to use it.

hmscott wrote:
NitroX, when I realized it was unfinished, and there wasn't a G750 specific profile, I experimented with using similar profiles with user level configuration changes, and found 1 profile that worked with CPU only, then later found 1 profile that worked for both CPU and GPU fan setting, and was excited at the potential.

When I came across the faulty automatic mode, with the resulting over-temp for idle on the GPU, I looked at the source code.

After consideration I decided it wasn't worth the effort as my G750JH CPU/GPU temps, and the G751 temps I was seeing, weren't bad and didn't require any help from something like NBFC.

Over time I have come to realize that there is much to enjoy about being able to rely on the vendor engineering, rather than assuming I can materially improve on it myself, and spending a bunch of time improving what doesn't need improving 🙂

I do find and fix problems with Windows / apps, recommend optimizations for better performance through tuning, but if there is an actual system problem / shortcoming it is the vendors responsibility to fix it, so I report the perceived problem to Asus and work with them to get it fixed.

If you want to de-tune the CPU/GPU to run cooler that is up to you, or if you want to OC the CPU/GPU that is up to you too, and the Asus automatic CPU/GPU fan curves cover both situations.

We paid Asus to engineer the laptop for safe long term use and best performance, and I think they have done that. 🙂

NBFC is the first time I have run across something that I think can be dangerous/injurious to the laptop, that is why I am recommending not to use it.

In my honest opinion, this time, ASUS hasn't made quite the best CPU fan curves. I have explained int he thread the differences between the GPU and CPU fan curves and since there are the same fans, then the curves should have been the same. Like at 75C, both CPU and GPU fan should have had the same rpm, but they do not. The CPU is always one step lower, and you can clearly feel a lower air flow and lower noise for it.

I have tried to tell ASUS that their profile could be improved since more people have complained about the high temps, but they just told me that will take my advice into consideration. I will make another technical inquiry with more details from the EC. Now that I can prove that their profile could be improved then maybe they will take it seriously.

But for now, I do consider this NBFC solution as a good temporary solution (if ASUS would change something eventually) for those who have temperature issues and/or want to manual tune the fan.

Maybe I will also turn around like you if I will end up with a bad experience with the software, but until then I will keep using it and try to improve it by finding the glitches that could appear. I don't know, maybe it's in my nature as an engineer to be curious and make stupid choices :)).

I do promise that I will not consider it one of the safest applications and I will always warn people about the dangers of using this kind of software but I will not say that it is useless.

And as for relying on the ASUS technical team, I'm not saying that they aren't doing a good job but, as an engineer, I do know that mistakes are prone to appear here and there. The engineers are also human, and their work needs time and focus. Sometimes they are rushed due to promised realease dates and they might omit some issues. Not intentionally, but they might appear. And when you start mass production, and the issue isn't very bad, they will not stop selling the products or make the issue publicly. There are many hidden aspects that we might not know, and this is why I can't put all my trust into engineers hired by big companies that have profit as religion.

@Dor1n: I'm glad that you have read about the RW and understood what I was trying to explain this weekend :P. I hope that the profile will work well enough for you too. I stronlgy recommend an EC restart, like I've said in this thread, before applying this new profile. Maybe a NBFC Uninstall+Reinstall also.

I don't know guys, this sounds complicated...and I am using the profile that is called "Silent" that was uploaded by wishmaker or some one I can't remember, back in the old post about fan profiles.

I is realy awesome, I have been playing on it for almost 2 months now, and it has never went up over 80 degrees on anything.
Like 76 degrees on dying light after a lot of hours....

Every temperature is like 10 degrees lower then without this profile.

I don't want to mess around with steps and R/W values, but this profile is awesome !

It's the best profile and realy agressive, I can't recommend it enough !

Just put the profile in to the program, turn it on, and your temperatures will be stone cold !

Best profile out there, and I have used every type of stress test, gaming test, idle test, combined test..... Awesome !

JasenDoe wrote:
I don't know guys, this sounds complicated...and I am using the profile that is called "Silent" that was uploaded by wishmaker or some one I can't remember, back in the old post about fan profiles.

I is realy awesome, I have been playing on it for almost 2 months now, and it has never went up over 80 degrees on anything.
Like 76 degrees on dying light after a lot of hours....

Every temperature is like 10 degrees lower then without this profile.

I don't want to mess around with steps and R/W values, but this profile is awesome !

It's the best profile and realy agressive, I can't recommend it enough !

Just put the profile in to the program, turn it on, and your temperatures will be stone cold !

Best profile out there, and I have used every type of stress test, gaming test, idle test, combined test..... Awesome !

JasenDoe, I don't want to say anything bad about Wishmaker's profile. He was the one that convinced me to go this far. But I have clearly explained how important is to set the values right and I have also explained how I have set the values for each step. I cannot tell wether WIshmarker's profile is stable or not as I do not know how he ended up making it. But I do know that he said he made it from the Zenbook UX32LN which also has some values written in the "Read Write Configuration" that might cause problems in the EC Table.
I have talked with the developer for the past week and he strongly advised me to make a profile from scratch in order to avoid any interfering with the EC Table.

Now, it is your choice wether your want to test my profile or you want to use Wishmaker's one, but please do not start recommending profiles without having some basic notions about how they work.

NitroX wrote:
JasenDoe, I don't want to say anything bad about Wishmaker's profile. He was the one that convinced me to go this far. But I have clearly explained how important is to set the values right and I have also explained how I have set the values for each step. I cannot tell wether WIshmarker's profile is stable or not as I do not know how he ended up making it. But I do know that he said he made it from the Zenbook UX32LN which also has some values written in the "Read Write Configuration" that might cause problems in the EC Table.
I have talked with the developer for the past week and he strongly advised me to make a profile from scratch in order to avoid any interfering with the EC Table.

Now, it is your choice wether your want to test my profile or you want to use Wishmaker's one, but please do not start recommending profiles without having some basic notions about how they work.

Ok I understand then, I will give your profile a try.

How agressive is this profile? Could you make it agressive for some of us that don't bother with the fan noise 😄
Like to start 100% fan speed at 70 degrees 😄

Please do it, when summer comes, it will be hot as hell, and temperatures aren't the best now 😞