View Poll Results: Are you using NBFC?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use the profile with only CPU Control.

10 30.30%
  • Yes, I use the profile with CPU+GPU Control.

13 39.39%
  • No, I consider it useless.

10 30.30%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by JasenDoe View Post
    I don't know guys, this sounds complicated...and I am using the profile that is called "Silent" that was uploaded by wishmaker or some one I can't remember, back in the old post about fan profiles.

I is realy awesome, I have been playing on it for almost 2 months now, and it has never went up over 80 degrees on anything.
    Like 76 degrees on dying light after a lot of hours....

Every temperature is like 10 degrees lower then without this profile.

I don't want to mess around with steps and R/W values, but this profile is awesome !

It's the best profile and realy agressive, I can't recommend it enough !

Just put the profile in to the program, turn it on, and your temperatures will be stone cold !

Best profile out there, and I have used every type of stress test, gaming test, idle test, combined test..... Awesome !
    JasenDoe, I don't want to say anything bad about Wishmaker's profile. He was the one that convinced me to go this far. But I have clearly explained how important is to set the values right and I have also explained how I have set the values for each step. I cannot tell wether WIshmarker's profile is stable or not as I do not know how he ended up making it. But I do know that he said he made it from the Zenbook UX32LN which also has some values written in the "Read Write Configuration" that might cause problems in the EC Table.
    I have talked with the developer for the past week and he strongly advised me to make a profile from scratch in order to avoid any interfering with the EC Table.

Now, it is your choice wether your want to test my profile or you want to use Wishmaker's one, but please do not start recommending profiles without having some basic notions about how they work.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by NitroX View Post
    JasenDoe, I don't want to say anything bad about Wishmaker's profile. He was the one that convinced me to go this far. But I have clearly explained how important is to set the values right and I have also explained how I have set the values for each step. I cannot tell wether WIshmarker's profile is stable or not as I do not know how he ended up making it. But I do know that he said he made it from the Zenbook UX32LN which also has some values written in the "Read Write Configuration" that might cause problems in the EC Table.
    I have talked with the developer for the past week and he strongly advised me to make a profile from scratch in order to avoid any interfering with the EC Table.

Now, it is your choice wether your want to test my profile or you want to use Wishmaker's one, but please do not start recommending profiles without having some basic notions about how they work.
    Ok I understand then, I will give your profile a try.

How agressive is this profile? Could you make it agressive for some of us that don't bother with the fan noise
    Like to start 100% fan speed at 70 degrees

Please do it, when summer comes, it will be hot as hell, and temperatures aren't the best now
    Last edited by JasenDoe; 03-02-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Ok I understand then, I will give your profile a try.

How agressive is this profile? Could you make it agressive for some of us that don't bother with the fan noise
    Like to start 100% fan speed at 70 degrees

Please do it, when summer comes, it will be hot as hell, and temperatures aren't the best now
    Don't worry. This profile goes to 3100rpm when reaching 69C and then it goes to 100% ( 3300rpm) when it reaches 75C. With an undervolt to the CPU this will be more than enough to keep the temps under 85C even in summer.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hm just did furmark and cpu burner, got 90 on my cpu, gpu is 77.
    Yes it's a sick test, but I was hitting 87 and 76 with the old profile.
    Yes there is no profile for gpu, so I think it's good that you are not writing and overwriting too much data.
    I would still like a little more power

Hm just did furmark and cpu burner, got 90 on my cpu, gpu is 77.
    Yes it's a sick test, but I was hitting 87 and 76 with the old profile.
    Yes there is no profile for gpu, so I think it's good that you are not writing and overwriting too much data.
    I would still like a little more power
    JasenDoe, I have already explained that there isn't any much power than that. The maximum fan state for both fans is "06" in the Embedded Controller Register. This meaning that both my profile and Wishmakers can only make the CPU go as far as 3300rpm constantly. The difference could have been due to indoor temperature variations or due to the fact that the GPU fan is on default profile. Either way, there is no difference for the maximum CPU rpm. Test the profile in-game and see how are your temperatures.

About the GPU, it is not a problem with data writing it is just that the GPU already has a good cooling profile and when you make a configuration for NBFC to change the GPU fan profile, you can only make the GPU fan to get triggered by the CPU temperature. The developer has clearly stated that NBFC is a service and therefore cannot use GPU temperature reading due to some security problems of the system/drivers. And also, the GPU running at maximum speed makes a lot of noise and I do not consider it useful in any case (maybe just for someone with a big OC using VBios modding ).

I also do not use combined stress tests as a reference point. I am only using high-demanding games because this is the main usage scenario for most of us. And as far as I have tested, in any game I have played the temps were drastically reduced by using Undervolt+NBFC. If I also add a Underclock to x31-x30 then the temps of the CPU and GPU would stay in the mid 70s.

ROG Enthusiast Array

JasenDoe, I have already explained that there isn't any much power than that. The maximum fan state for both fans is "06" in the Embedded Controller Register. This meaning that both my profile and Wishmakers can only make the CPU go as far as 3300rpm constantly. The difference could have been due to indoor temperature variations or due to the fact that the GPU fan is on default profile. Either way, there is no difference for the maximum CPU rpm. Test the profile in-game and see how are your temperatures.

About the GPU, it is not a problem with data writing it is just that the GPU already has a good cooling profile and when you make a configuration for NBFC to change the GPU fan profile, you can only make the GPU fan to get triggered by the CPU temperature. The developer has clearly stated that NBFC is a service and therefore cannot use GPU temperature reading due to some security problems of the system/drivers. And also, the GPU running at maximum speed makes a lot of noise and I do not consider it useful in any case (maybe just for someone with a big OC using VBios modding ).

I also do not use combined stress tests as a reference point. I am only using high-demanding games because this is the main usage scenario for most of us. And as far as I have tested, in any game I have played the temps were drastically reduced by using Undervolt+NBFC. If I also add a Underclock to x31-x30 then the temps of the CPU and GPU would stay in the mid 70s.
    Hey Nitrox, after 2 days of testing your profile, I can confirm it works, and everything is well.

Only thing is I have 2 degrees hotter temps on cpu, maybe eaven 3 degrees, and on GPU I have 1-2 degrees hotter temps then with old profile.

So could you PLEASE insert the GPU fan also to this profile ?
    Since our G751 shares heat pipes between CPU and GPU, the GPU will cool the acumulated heat inside our laptop.

Yes I know the 6th step of GPU is very loud....but my temps are a bit over what I feel comfortable with.

Could you please make the "Uber G751 Nitrox" fan profile
    I don't want to mess anything up, and I don't care about the noise :P
    Pretty please

Best regards

@JasonDoe: Those little differences might come from the fact that the CPU starts spinning with 3300rpm at 75C, instead of 70C like on Wishmakers profile. If your temperatures are staying under 80-85C you should feel more than confortable. There are laptops with the same hardware components that run at 90C without any issues ( gaming notebooks like slim MSI's, Gigabyte, Aorus, etc.). If you really want, I could just change the temperature threshold for the 100% and set it to start at 70C, but just for you, as I do consider the profile aggressive enough like it is now.

As for the GPU, I have added my thoughts about that in the first post (with big red writing). The profile with both fan controls isn't yet finished and I will not share it with people that do not really require it and who do not have experience with monitoring and using NBFC. I have done enough tests with the default GPU profile and I consider it good enough to leave it unchanged.

I have said more than 1 time that the GPU fan control isn't reliable because I cannot make it trigger the GPU fan by using GPU temperature readings. This means that both the GPU and CPU fans will be triggered by the CPU temperature. This is a big disadvantage of the software itself and I consider it dangerous for the normal user. Also, try to think about this as a safe precaution because NBFC isn't 100% reliable, thus meaning that if the software possibly crashes and shuts off the CPU fan, then at least you will have the GPU fan running that will still evacuate heat from your case until you notice that something is wrong.

As I said in the first post, please be cooperative and understand that I'm trying to both satisfy your needs and keep your laptops safe at the same time.

By the way, what temperatures do you have that really bother you so much ?

ROG Enthusiast Array

By the way, what temperatures do you have that really bother you so much ?
    90 on combined test, but lets say 86 during heavy gaming, would like it to be at least a bit lower
    This is with max undervolt ofc.

Should I just change the "up treshold" to 70 on the last 100% fan speed, instead of 75?
    Or should I change some other things also? You can just post a table with numbers I should have on that edit table of the temperatures tresholds
    Last edited by JasenDoe; 03-04-2015 at 02:41 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hey Nitrox..firstly thx for all your work on this. One thing ive noticed when using these profiles in nbfc in eventviewer it shows several repeated warnings regarding the ACPI embedded controller.

The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested.

Is this anything to worry about?

And just to confirm when resetting you boot and hold down power for 10secs until it shuts off again?

thx J

90 on combined test, but lets say 86 during heavy gaming, would like it to be at least a bit lower
    This is with max undervolt ofc.

Should I just change the "up treshold" to 70 on the last 100% fan speed, instead of 75?
    Or should I change some other things also? You can just post a table with numbers I should have on that edit table of the temperatures tresholds
    86 should be the maximum peak. I am talking about average CPU temp, because the temperature could go for like 1-2 secs to 86 but the normal tmeperature while gaming could be just 81-82C. For example, I have an average temp of 74C with a maximum temp of 79C (but with Underclocked CPU to 30X for all 4 cores). If you want to monitor your CPU temp while gaming, I highly recommend using MSI Afterbuners OnScreenDisplay to show you Core Temps and Package Temp.

I do not want to hear the temperature from the combined test as it is not a reliable point of reference and what you are doing is just panic because of nothing. And to be honest, it is quite hard to believe that if your combined test goes to 90C, your in-game temps are 86. There should have been a bigger difference. What games are u talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by insiZion1 View Post
    Hey Nitrox..firstly thx for all your work on this. One thing ive noticed when using these profiles in nbfc in eventviewer it shows several repeated warnings regarding the ACPI embedded controller.

The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested.

Is this anything to worry about?

And just to confirm when resetting you boot and hold down power for 10secs until it shuts off again?

thx J
    My pleasure! I would recommend not running any app that has direct access to the Embedded Controller while using NBFC as it can interfer one with each other. And these are not my words, there are the words of the developer. I do not know yet if this is a reason tow orry about. Maybe I should also download that software and see what the warnings do mean. But, I do not think that there is any real issue. I just think it is because the NBFC reads and writes data constantly to the EC in order to overwrite the default fan speed values.

Yeah, the procedure will go like you said for reseting the notebook. Just Restart--->When RoG Logo shows you Press&Hold Power Button for like 10 secs---> The Battery led will blink, shut off and then start again ---> Then you can power on your laptop.
    Last edited by NitroX; 03-04-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast