View Poll Results: Are you using NBFC?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use the profile with only CPU Control.

10 30.30%
  • Yes, I use the profile with CPU+GPU Control.

13 39.39%
  • No, I consider it useless.

10 30.30%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Today I have received a response from the Notebook Fan Control developer, Grantig. The profile for the G751 that I have sent him (the same one that it is posted here) has been officially added in the profile list.

Quote from the german forum:
    @ NitroXRoG
    I'm glad you could finally resolve all those errors
    I published your config in my repository. Thank you very much for your effort!
    And link: http://www.computerbase.de/forum/sho...8#post17110538

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by NitroX View Post
    Today I have received a response from the Notebook Fan Control developer, Grantig. The profile for the G751 that I have sent him (the same one that it is posted here) has been officially added in the profile list.
    Quote from the german forum:
    And link: http://www.computerbase.de/forum/sho...8#post17110538
    NitroX, congrats

So, I downloaded the latest version 1.1.1.19, and the G751JY doesn't show in the included list of configs. I checked his post again, and he said he put it in the repository, so I followed the link for config files:

https://translate.googleusercontent....RDA3AZ98OxfP4Q

And, found the G751JY.xml file, but when I tried to import it into NBC it won't find it because it is looking for .config files

So I renamed it to .config, and it found it and gave me an error...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NBC import of G751JY.config.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	47205

So, I renamed it .xml and put it in the Config folder, hoping it would be found when starting the ConfigEditor or NoteBook FanControl, but no luck...

So how do we use it?

Yes, I realize I don't have a G751JY, but then again I don't have the other laptop configs either but I have made them work, so I thought I would try yours.
    Last edited by hmscott; 03-06-2015 at 09:18 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

hmscott. just dload it from this thread and add it .

@hmscott : Hmm, I will announce the dev about this problem. Thanks for the heads up and congrats (means much from you) ! And yeah, I know that it isn't in the install config pack because the install is the same one as 1 year ago, but Grantig said that he was working on a new version so I think it will come with that one included.

If you want to try it, you could use the one posted by me because it is the same thing . I have checked the inside of the G751 config in Grantigs repository and nothing is changed.

PS: I cannot even seem to find a download button in that repository -_- . I can only view the code of the profile. This is happening without signing up.
    Last edited by NitroX; 03-08-2015 at 09:54 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Heya. Thanks for the profile. It does not help at all in stress tests but who cares about them. Main thing is it helps in reducing temps in games, although I am still getting higher temps than you guys but at least im finally under 90°C all the time so ye, it helped me for sure . (78-82°C usually).

With GPU fan running at max speed the temp is going even lower but its small difference and I dont like the noise of maxxed GPU fan at all so ended up with your profile without GPU fan management, and the noise of just CPU fan at max speed is really good compared to CPU+GPU at max.

You're welcome! Yeah, I do not use stress tests as the main point of reference either. Most of my tests were done in heavy demanding games because that would be the main purpose of this laptop. Your temps seem pretty fine to me considering that you are running at default CPU clocks. The max temperature will differ from game to game anyway, but I will consider that you have 82C only for very demanding games.

Another way to reduce the temps even more would to undervolt the CPU. This method will not affect your performance by any means and it will reduce the average temp with 3-5 C depending on the values.
    And another way to further reduce the CPU temps would be to lower your CPU clocks a bit. I have tested many Intel XTU profiles and until now I have found that the sweet spot for my CPU is x33, x33, x32, x32 . Anything higher would increase the temps with each 100Mhz, so for the max x36, x35, x34, x34 I would get about 82-83 average temp in Assassin's Creed Unity. While with the x33, x33, x32, x32 I only get to an average of 75-76C. That is a pretty good drop in temperatures with a small performance loss.
    And as I said before, those 200-300Mhz don't even make any difference in gameplay. There might be some games that are CPU hungry but when you feel like the FPS is dropping due to CPU bottleneck you can always change the clocks (I do not believe that are many games that are so CPU hungry at the moment).

I'm glad that you have chosen to use this CPU only profile because I do not consider it very safe and/or useful to use a 2 fan config and keep both fans running at max speed. I saw someone over here saying something about the fan overheating, so yeah I guess that could be true, so I have done some thinking about this and I have concluded that if the GPU fan is running by default at almost 3300rpm when it reaches 75C then the CPU fan would also be safe to run at 3300rpm since both fans are the same (same dimension, same quality etc.). This is another reason why I wouldn't keep the GPU fan at max speed, since it could wear down much faster due to an overheated bearing.
    Last edited by NitroX; 03-08-2015 at 06:45 PM.

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by NitroX View Post
    @hmscott : Hmm, I will announce the dev about this problem. Thanks for the heads up and congrats (means much from you) ! And yeah, I know that it isn't in the install config pack because the install is the same one as 1 year ago, but Grantig said that he was working on a new version so I think it will come with that one included.

Quote Originally Posted by insiZion1 View Post
    hmscott. just dload it from this thread and add it .
    If you want to try it, you could use the one posted by me because it is the same thing . I have checked the inside of the G751 config in Grantigs repository and nothing is changed.

PS: I cannot even seem to find a download button in that repository -_- . I can only view the code of the profile. This is happening without signing up.
    NitroX/insiZion1, when I downloaded the version from post #1 it was working, but trying to use the one from the NBC repository didn't work.

The problem was the right-click download of the repository posted .xml file; the formatting was lost and the "Notebook FanControl.exe" was rejecting it.

When I copied / pasted the text from the repository .xml into a new .xml file, it works

The profile for CPU fan also works on my G750JH, so far, at 100% CPU usage I get 100% fan, and at normal usage I get a higher fan speed than normal. Noisier, but cooler

I guess the best thing to do is to try it and see if it helps reduce the temps for your normal usage. For the G751 shared cooler under simultaneous CPU/GPU load, if running the CPU fan at a higher than Asus fan curve speed keeps the CPU below the 93c Thermal Throttling temperature, it's a good solution - potentially better than de-tuning the CPU core 3/4 ratio lower with Intel XTU.

Please let us know when the new NBC gets posted so we can try it.

Thanks for the hard work NitroX
    Last edited by hmscott; 03-13-2015 at 12:27 PM.

@hmscott : No need for you to thank me :P. You're the Guru over here that helped much more people than I did.

t's good to know that the profile posted by me is working fine. I don't know what happened with the one posted in Grantig's repository, and I didn't have the time to check it out either -_- . Sorry!

If it works for the G750JH then that means that the Read/Write register must be the same ("151"). This was quite expected since many, if not all, recent ASUS notebooks have the read/write register for the CPU set to 151. The problem is that the Minimum and Maximum speed values differ from notebook to notebook, so this may be the cause why your fans aren't acting quite properly .

I can come up with a G750JH version also, but I will need the EC Table readings from someone with a G750 so I could find the minimum/maximum speed values. Also, the polling rate might be different for the G750 because this depends on the default writing rate of the default speed values (the default values might get written faster or slower over the NBFC values which we input).

And yes, the modified fan curve could be a better choice than clocking down your CPU (though I using both methods). This is one of the reasons why I wanted to get this software to work properly on our notebooks. The fact that you have an i7 which could go to 3500Mhz but starting to throttle after 1-2 hours of gaming in the summer, and lowering the clocks by itself isn't quite a thing to ignore. I wanted to be sure that, if I needed those 3500Mhz then I could use the CPU to it's maximum potential. The NBFC seems to have given me this possibility without being overlyconcerned that it will throttle.

I am still disappointed that ASUS didn't hear our crying for lower temps and a better fan profile, since I know for sure that me and a few others have made technical feedbacks in which we have described this issue and what may be the cause of it. It is not my fault that I live in a temperate climate with very hot summers, or that I like playing very demanding games. It is their fault for making the "Low temperatures that allow overclocking" a highlight in their product description. If I wouldn't have had big expectations maybe I wouldn't have been so disappointed by this fact and I would have moved along after some time.
    But, since I bought this notebook for low temperatures, by my honor, I will do everything to satisfy that need!

LaterEDIT: This is what Grantig said in an earlier message.
    @NitroXRoG
    I don't have an exact release date, yet. I plan to release the next version in April.
    Hoping that the new version will be more stable because I have found that the random "Enter" issue were caused by the NBFC Application window. Now I only keep the NBFC service running and I'm only opening the Application when I want to change something to the config.
    Last edited by NitroX; 03-13-2015 at 06:32 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array Akik82 PC Specs
    Akik82 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G751JY-T7052H
    MotherboardHM87
    Processori7-4710HQ
    Graphics Card #1GeForce GTX 980M 4GB
    Storage #1SSD M.2 PCIE 256GB
    Storage #21 TB 7200 rpm
    Power SupplyDelta 230W
    Mouse Steelseries Diablo III
    Headset Steelseries Siberia Elite Prism
    Mouse Pad Steelseries Diablo III
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Accessory #1 Asus ROG Backpack

Hi guys !
    Nice thread. Can you answer my questions about my temps please ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Here : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post483467

Pas problème mon ami ! Ta anglais c'est suffit pour être comprise (J'espère que ça c'est correct ) ).

Going back to english and to our subject, I have read your post

Hi everyone !
    I have a G751JY-T7052H (i7 4710HQ, 16 GB, 980M) since 1 month today and I come on this forum to write my first review.
    This rig is a beast in term of design, performance, price etc. My bigger games, Dying Light and BF4, are running easily on it. Graphics performances are awesome.

I have one question for you, about my temps. I tried a lot of settings about v-sync and here is what I get while playing :

With v-sync off in games settings, I get the most FPS it can blow. For example, I'm very rarely below 60fps in Dying Light and rarely below 70fps in BF4.
    Dying Light is often at 65+ and BF4 at 75-80+. But with v-sync off, I get the hottest temps. In Dying Light GPU is about 73-75°C MAX and CPU is about 83-85°C MAX (peaks). I Think average CPU is about 80-82°C but I'll do more test with HWiNFO64 to get the exact min/max/average.
    In BF4 it's a little bit higher. With v-sync off, my GPU grows to 75-76°C, almost never see 77 I think. CPU go between 85-87 (some peak at 89 but only saw this once). Average CPU should be around 85°C I think.
    I did some tests with v-sync on adaptive to save some °C and in Dying Light CPU is about 81-82°C max and in BF4 maybe 83-85°C, not sure at 100%. More tests to come this evening to confirm the difference between v-sync off and adaptive.

What do you suggest after reading this ? Should I RMA my rig ? Should I only play with adaptive to save some °C ? v-sync off temps are acceptable ?

Thanks for your advices.
    Regards.

NB : excuse my poor English... (French)
    First of all, the V-Sync thing is pretty normal. While using V-Sync your frames are capped at 60FPS while gaming and this means automatically that the hardware is being stressed less than it would be without V-Sync when the frames go over 60 FPS (from your examples 65-70FPS). Each additional frame means more work for the GPU and CPU. The difference between those 2 is the fact that the GPU fan is configured better than the CPU fan. This means that the GPU fan starts spinning at around 3300rpm when the GPU temp reaches 75C. But the CPU fan is going at around 2700rpm when at 75C. This is why your CPU temps are raising much more than the GPU temps.

I am always using V-SYnc when I'm gaming. Firstly because it removes the annoying horizontal lines at high frame rates and secondly because it limits the FPS at 60 even in low demanding games. The thing with the FPS is simple. The real FPS showed by the monitor is strongly related to the monitor refresh frequency. So, if you have a display with 60Hz Refresh Rate, then the most frames that your monitor can show is 60FPS. Anything more than 60FPS means that you are wasting those frames and you are stressing the GPU and CPU for nothing. This is quite a mind blower for the high FPS gamers that like to play at 150FPS in CS or Dota. The only way to actually see those frames are to buy a 144Hz Monitor.
    Conclusion: Keep your V-Sync turned on while gaming because it is way better than keeping it off.

As for the high temperatures, you really don't have to worry about them. You have quite normal temps for those demanding games. There is no reason to ask for an RMA if everything else is fine with your notebook. To reduce the CPU temp you have more solutions that are and have been explained on this forum in many posts.

A short list of CPU temperature reduction while gaming:

1) Do an Undervolt using Intel XTU. (-80mv for core and -80mv for cache is the most common value that people are using for the Undervolt). The Undervolt will NOT reduce the performance of your notebook. The only down part is that you might get random restarts or blue screens. But if you get those, then you just have to raise the voltages a little bit. The Undervolt usually reduces temperatures with about 3-5 C.

2) Do an Underclock with Intel XTU. This means that you will set your core multiplier to x32 or x31 while 3/4 cores are active. This will further reduce your temperatures with 5-7C while gaming.

3) Use the software from this thread, NotebookFanControler. With this software and the G751 profile your CPU fan speed will be much higher while in high load. As I said before, the GPU already reaches over 3000rpm when it hits 75C. Well, this is what I have done for the G751 NBFC Profile. So, while using the NBFC, when the temps of the CPU reaches 75C, then the CPU fan will go to full speed (3300rpm) which will further reduce the temperatures while gaming.

4) Use V-SYnc, for the reasons that I have presented earlier in this post.

As for my personal experience, I am using a combination of all of them. So, I'm currently using an Undervolt of (-80mv/-80mv), an Underclock to x32 while 3/4 cores are running, the NBFC with the profile from this thread and I'm also using V-Sync in every game that I play. My temperatures are now under 80C in very demanding games, like AC Unity and Crysis 3, with all settings maxed out. In fact, the peak temperature is always under 80C, because the average temp is usually around 75C.

Btw, if you want to monitor your average temperature, you don't really need to monitor with HWInfo. Instead, you can use MSI Afterburner to monitor your temperatures while gaming and see how they actually change . The MSI Afterburner has an OnScreen Display mode which works together with Rivatuner (both will be installed with the MSI Afterburner install kit). For this part I would ask you do search on the internet on how to configure the MSI Afterburner in order to see the OnScreenDisplay with temperatures while gaming. If you do have difficulties then you can PM me and I will explain to you how I am using the MSI Afterburner.

Bonne chance !

@hmscott: Check the "LaterEDIT" on the last post.
    Last edited by NitroX; 03-13-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast