cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It has been 10 years, anyone mind tossing advice on my new build?

Fangren
Level 7
I have not built a computer since nvidias enforce 680i Lt ski 775 motherboard with Intel core 2 quad and 9600 gt.

Despite the age difference here is my new build with what i think is a conservative yet very expandable/easily upgradeable build.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BZMNTW
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nWPgNG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: *Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($456.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($224.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung XP941 Series 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($132.98 @ Newegg)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($205.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($219.64 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Rosewill Lightning 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($140.00 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($197.96 @ OutletPC)

Monitor: Samsung P2370HD-1 60Hz 23.0" Monitor

Other: Ek block/res/tubing/fittings + xspc ex360 rad ($250.00)

Total: $2198.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-02 21:57 EST-0500

Bitfenix Spectre PRO PWM 120mm x 3

Ek CPU block

Ek DDP dual bay reservoir

Xspc ex360 radiator

Tubing/coolant and fittings for system by ek

If this seems like it will work together or if anyone sees any glaring problems please let me know.
Its all already shipped and I'd love to order what I would need before I have everything else.
37 REPLIES 37

Nate152
Hello Fangren and welcome

You should have gone with a 16GB kit of ram for quad channel. (4GB each)

With a 128GB ssd you're not going to have much storage capacity after installing windows. You could add an HDD/SSD later.

Might also have chosen the gtx 970 or 980.

In all honesty what you have listed here I might have gone with a maximus build.

Fangren
Level 7
I appreciate the input. Like I was saying its conservative. I plan on adding or swapping things later. I'll add more memory as funds arrive and as for the sad, its enough for now. I currently use a 149 (160) GB sata drive in my older rig.

Is there a significant difference between kits and single cards? I planned on buying multiple single cards as for 1x 8gb was 69.99 the 2x 8gb kit was 179

I planned on buying singles to hit dual channel then trip then quad etc as I had funds

Nate152
Ok, One thing though

It's not a good idea to add more ram, it may work for you but then again it may not. It's recommended to get a single kit as adding ram of the same specs may not work well together.

Even though you add another stick it would still only be dual channel.

You should have gone with a 4x4GB kit.

Fangren
Level 7
Ahh so its not quad unless I buy a quad kit. I understand that thank you.

Nate152

Fangren
Level 7
I did the research and understand the point your making. I'll see about returning the one I bought and getting a quad kit. Mayhaps something a little cheaper. My budgets maxed. Been a while I was under the impression that matched kits weren't necessary anymore. But are worth the "guarantee" over buying single units and hoping they are perfect matchs.

Nate152
A slower speed kit will be cheaper.

When building a gaming pc it's the gpu that will give you the biggest performance increase.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MSOKFJW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1425238225&sr=8-1&keywords=adata+ddr4&dp...

4x4 adata 2400 if I can get a refund this is probably what I'll get

Nate152
Check to see if that kit is on the QVL (Qualified vendors List) for the rampage v extreme.